I encountered this scenario today

I'm on a two-lane highway going north. This is a no passing zone with a solid center line. There are parking areas for trailheads next to the shoulder on both sides. There's is also an intersection ahead with a road going east. I am in vehicle 5 and I have two vehicles in front of me, vehicle 4 and 3. All three of us are going 55-ish. There are parked cars and people near the intersection on both sides of the highway. Ahead, at the intersection I see a car (vehicle 1) that has stopped near the center line in the oncoming lane in order to make a left turn onto the road going east. This vehicle is waiting to let all of the three vehicles going north pass before making the turn. Another car approaches and proceeds to pass vehicle 1 on the right side at moderate speed. So far no problem.

A donkey driving a TRD comes up from behind me (vehicle 5) going at least 100 and decides to pass me, vehicle 4 and 3. Confronted with two cars blocking the oncoming lane, the donkey speeds up and cuts in front vehicle 3, almost hitting vehicle 1 head-on but manages to go back into the right lane just in time. I hope the donkey crapped his pants.

Driving a vehicle on the public roads is one of the most dangerous things people can do these days. Too many maniac lunatics on the roads is seems around my area at least. I see crazy crashes reported on the news every night around here.

You're probably lucky he swerved around you instead of plowing into your rear at 100 MPH.

Last edited:
If you're the car at 1 waiting to turn left, don't crowd the center line as shown and also don't turn your wheel to the left until it is time to go. This improves the chances in case car 2 rear-ends you, you're less likely to end up in the opposing lane to also be hit head on by car 3.

In the original scenario, watch out for car 2 to sneak around car 1 on the right, offering a nasty surprise to car 6 who thought he had enough space.

Back