I don't miss having a fireplace

They belong to a log cabin, that's about it for me. If you don't use them regularly and suddenly use it, they gather dusts and they smell for a while. If you use them regularly then you need to clean the chimney, a waste of money to me.

Unless you live somewhere with free firewood I don't really see the point.

Wood fireplace in the main family room. We use it at least a dozen times a winter. Just had a nice fire in it on Saturday night. Nothing like the heat and crackle and pop.

Virtually free supply of wood from what I've cut in our yard and from other sources.

We have a gas free standing stove in the basement with a blower on it. Serves as spot heat, but does not give the ambiance that the real thing does.

Both serve as backup heat sources - the wood fireplace needs no explanation. The gas freestanding stove has a battery powered ignition for when the power goes out. No blower, but it serves like a woodstove in that case.

We have a fake one.... Nice looking brick hearth with a corny fake "fire" which is surprisingly realistic. Makes crackles and pops like a real fire. In a nearly-100 year-old house I'd be more concerned a real fireplace would create a chimney effect drawing in cold air from outside.

As a kid we had three fireplaces in my parents home and they were used for primary heat. We cut enough firewood to sink a battleship. Wore out two chainsaws. Built my house and installed propane heat. Don't miss the fireplaces at all.

We have an LP fireplace. I added an external T-stat when we moved in (super easy very low volt IIRC). We used it the first winter. Warms quickly, really knocks the chill down and the main heater can just loaf. Last year I went into hypermiler mode and shut off the gas supply to it, just to see how far our LP tank will go.

This year in a festive mood I cleaned the thing and fired it up. Wow, I forgot how toasty it can make the family room. The flame height and fan speed are nicely adjustable, plus when the T stat shut it down the fan will continue to blow heat. Kinda missed the thing.

That said, I still want to somehow rig wood heat or pellet heat - preferably freestanding - for extended power outages and ambiance. Just no good spot.

We have wood and gas fireplaces. Use both periodically. Nice to have for emergency back-up. At least until gas fireplaces are banned.

I have 4 fireplaces in my house and 1 woodstove. Stove is in basement and fireplaces are in living room, family room, den and bedroom and they are used and none are for show. Built house in 1980 and was a bricklayer in my previous life before I changed jobs.

Attachments

• bed.jpg
    bed.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 35
  • den.JPG
    den.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 33
  • familyroom.jpg
    familyroom.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 33
  • living.jpg
    living.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 37
  • woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 36
I had a fairly large log home in PA for some time, it did not have a fireplace, but instead, a nicely configured wood burning stove with a glass door. Loved the thing, all the benefit of a fireplace, but burned much longer. I moved my bed to the living room, just to be near the stupid thing. Due to thyroid issues I get very cold at night, and it was nice to have warm feet!

I know a person who plays a looping video of a crackling fireplace on his big screen TV because it makes him feel warmer. For some messed up reason I like watching The Thing, Runaway Train, or any movie or documentary related to cold weather, snow, avalanches, the Arctic, mountain climbing during winter etc on a cold day.

Back