I changed my sisters oil today (2012 Accord)

The only commonality in Idemitsu fluid and Honda is the name. They're not equivalent or "close" to spec. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what fluid people use but I think it's disingenuous for Aisin to label/name their product "DW-1".
Well it's made by someone for Aisin for the DW-1 spec, so I expect my 15 year old transmission won't take a dump with Aisin.

One of my nearby Autozone stores sell it. I'd guess it's stocked at most of their stores. They call it "Type H", as in "H" for Honda.
H+ actually.

What are you paying for it from there. Just curious as Amazon has crept up their pricing on theirs. Used to be ~$30, now it's at $40.

The only commonality in Idemitsu fluid and Honda is the name. They're not equivalent or "close" to spec. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what fluid people use but I think it's disingenuous for Aisin to label/name their product "DW-1".
I would argue that it's not close to the same additive package, none of them are. I would say they are using different chemistries to hit the same target that DW1 does. Not necessarily 'not spec'. If you are looking for the same additive package, it doesn't exist. If you're looking for the same performance, many will do the trick.

Splitting hairs, yes, but that's what BITOG is all about.

Well it's made by someone for Aisin for the DW-1 spec
You said "to stay as close to the DW-1 spec" in your earlier comment but Aisin DW-1 is no closer to DW-1 than Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol FS ATF, etc, etc. It's just another ATF that the producer says they "recommend" it for that application. Honda DW-1 has nothing aftermarket that's close to it in chemistry. Does that mean the others will blow up your transmission ? Not saying that...

H+ actually.

What are you paying for it from there. Just curious as Amazon has crept up their pricing on theirs. Used to be ~$30, now it's at $40.
I don't buy it but I looked earlier... $7.99 a quart as I recall and someone posted a link for a 5-quart from Amazon at $40 so the same price to buy it locally.

I don't buy it but I looked earlier... $7.99 a quart as I recall and someone posted a link for a 5-quart from Amazon at $40 so the same price to buy it locally.
Gotcha.

I'm probably going to switch to something else here, although I'd much prefer to do one thing and stick with it, their pricing has started putting it out of bounds. Have another little bit before I decide though. The 5qt jug is just so much easier to deal with.

You said "to stay as close to the DW-1 spec" in your earlier comment but Aisin DW-1 is no closer to DW-1 than Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Castrol FS ATF, etc, etc. It's just another ATF that the producer says they "recommend" it for that application. Honda DW-1 has nothing aftermarket that's close to it in chemistry. Does that mean the others will blow up your transmission ? Not saying that...
Perhaps you have not even seen the Aisin product. It is not a universal product like Maxlife and Castrol that is compatible with DW-1. It's a USA made fluid specifically engineered for Honda and Acura applications and states "OEM Engineered Formula" on the label. Conclusion: either you are incorrect or Aisin's labelling is false and misleading.

Attachments

• AisinDW-1.jpg
    AisinDW-1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 17
9100 miles on synthetic with a good filter should be fine. As an older brother to two 20-something younger sisters I see how taking care of siblings' cars is always an adventure.

Hall, now that I found a Blackstone VOA report on the Aisin, I see the difference in composition. Thank you. Since Amazon didn't honor the $27 special on Honda DW-1 when I ordered it, I'll be using the Aisin in my Ridgeline.

Since Amazon didn't honor the $27 special on Honda DW-1 when I ordered it,
I've been checking for them to mess up the price again but I think they've fixed it permanently... :confused: My wife also used "my" credit that I earned ( :ROFLMAO: ) on scrubs. I really don't need that much more DW-1 anyway. It's for our daughter's Civic which only uses 2.5 quarts.

You saved your sister a lot of money doing the work yourself. She owes you! Keep up the great work being a good brother. I wouldn't run my car that long without changing the oil either. Six or seven thousand miles max and only if mostly highway driving. The transmission in the car is thanking you too.

dw1 replaces z1 and is a better fluid than z1...if your honda calls for z1 use dw1...

Back