I am considering the Dark Side. Quick Oil Change shops.

it's full of cheap idiot owners and crooks. While obviously not all of them are like this,
Thanks for clarifying that you have next to zero credibility with knowing much about the industry.

A more factual statement is that because the FEW truly bad lube shops get such widespread publicity....they ALL are considered a place to be avoided. That simply is not true. Yeah, I was in the business long enough to know that your claims are baseless. None of the owners I had experience with were "crooks" or cheap. The one owner who flirted with going down that road got met with heavy resistance from me...and I proved it to them.

And if I had an owner as a boss that would not allow me...as a "manager"...to operate a honest, problem free business, with outstanding service, then I would not work there. Like I said...your friend is incompetent.

And I'll throw this out there to whoever thinks the dealership or tire shop is a better place for "service" with 2 examples.

#1, mother-in-law had tires put on her car recently at one of the most well known and reputable tire places here. They sent her with a list of things they recommended that need to be done "right away". One on that list was front brake pads and the other was a significant oil leak. I reminded her that she had somebody else do her brakes about a year ago. I told her if she needed pads, I would do them at no charge if she bought the pads from the parts store.

Tore down the brake and removed the pads. Still had 60% of friction left. Rotors were in great shape. Also took notice to the significant oil leak. It was just slightly damp around the area of the main seal where a little bit of road grime was sticking to it. Her car's oil level has never been low when I've checked it. They were about to rip her off.

Next example, my sister-in-law swears by having the oil changed in her Nissan Altima at the dealer because they are so thorough...they check everything during a service. She calls and says that she hears a high pitch squeal from the front of her car and could I look at it. I tear it down and the brake pads are down to the backing plate. Zero friction left...inside or outside on both front hubs. I thought they checked everything??? Her invoices show a "check" beside the brake Inspection line.

So...based on some of the opinions here, we should all avoid tire shops and dealerships too.

It ain't just Quickie Lubes doing poor oil changes.
I service a friend's gorgeous 2015 Jeeg Grand CHerokee with the turbo diesel V6.
The dealer accidently did an oil change (she told them not to) during a recall.
The next time I serviced the GC, I had to use a wrench to remove the plug all the way out.
The threads were full of crap; I cleaned it and was able to spin it back in all the way with just my fingers.

What's a poor boy do do?

I service a friend's gorgeous 2015 Jeeg Grand CHerokee with the turbo diesel V6.
The next time I serviced the GC, I had to use a wrench to remove the plug all the way out.
The threads were full of crap; I cleaned it and was able to spin it back in all the way with just my fingers.

What's a poor boy do do?
In all honesty, DIY is pretty much the only way one can't point fingers at anybody else. Notice I didn't say the only way to do it right. I've had to correct a bunch of DIY attempts in the past too. But there's a slew of people out there who simply cannot do DIY oil changes for various reasons from being physically unable to mentally unable....or even not having the facilities or tools to do it.

In all honesty, DIY is pretty much the only way one can't point fingers at anybody else. Notice I didn't say the only way to do it right. I've had to correct a bunch of DIY attempts in the past too. But there's a slew of people out there who simply cannot do DIY oil changes for various reasons from being physically unable to mentally unable....or even not having the facilities or tools to do it.

This is my predicament right now. The last time I changed the oil I paid for it the next couple or three days. My oil change days are likely over and I am considering having the dealership do it here in the next several weeks.

This is my predicament right now. The last time I changed the oil I paid for it the next couple or three days. My oil change days are likely over and I am considering having the dealership do it here in the next several weeks.
If you were near I would gladly lend a hand. My BIL is in Gig Harbor. Is that near you? Mark is a great wrench and you can see my old ghetto ride.

Or consider a MityVac. Easy peasey.

What's a poor boy do do?
Right, you’re absolutely right.

Ive worked in all of them...dealers, independents and a quick lube. I’ve also worked for a government fleet.

There is going to be mistakes at all of them. No doubt about that. Quite honestly some of the dealers I’ve worked at had probably the highest rate of mistakes...you have to remember, not all guys that work there are “high end”, some of them are young kids and new to this. That’s where your oil changes, tires and warranty work is going...to the young inexperienced techs. And they will screw up. They are cheap labor for the dealer and they are a must at every repair shop.

The government fleet was probably the best place I’ve worked at simply because we all were experienced and none of us were going fast. It was government work, not flat rate. No one was hustling trying to outrace the clock or beat the other guy. We took our time, but did we take our time. Too much time actually but the work was done correctly.

If you can work on your car yourself and take your time using high quality fluids and parts...you are doing it right. You are giving your car the very best, otherwise it is a crapshoot. I’d say the second best alternative is a trustworthy independent shop that you know has high quality techs there and a reputation of doing things right. That’s the type of repair facility you don’t mind paying top dollar for.

Yes, the problem with dealerships is they are in a race against the clock. So-so fast work pays better than quality!
It is at least possible that performing high quality work (taking longer) might be penalized.
Who knows?

You know there was one on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks I used for years.

Not long after I moved to AZ I saw a bloody expose of a Jiffy Lube. On Ventura Blvd. In Sherman Oaks. The one I had used for years. Caught cutting corners and not doing work that was charged.

I never had a problem though. Oil was clean and to the proper level, filters were fresh. Cars were simple though: 63 Valiant, 99 Cavalier, 05 ION, 95 Saturn SL1.

Now I am using Grease Monkey, especially as they don't do an up sell, didn't try and rip off my Mother with flushes and non essential crap and I live in an HOA development.

Today, I have descended into the nether. The dark side beckoned me, and I answered the call. I was pleasantly surprised.

I want to a local non-Chain place. It was a drive through type. I drove in, was out in 15 minutes. The cost was high, $110 for the oil/filter/air filter change, but the attention to detail and communication was top notch.

1) they verbally said “oil gasket removed”
2) put air into all 4 tires
3) checked my p/s fluid
4) didn’t try to upswell me anything, big plus to me
5) showed me the oil dipstick

what a far cry from changing the oil myself. No oil on my body, no disposing of oil at a collection area, and so much time saved. Wow.
I think for beater cars, this service may be worth it to me.

I hadn't wanted to engage in the current discussion but one anecdote mentioned above included the following. "When I went to remove the drain plug and filter that was last touched by the quick lube place, both of them were barely tightened at all. The drain plug could have come off by hand without a socket, it was that loose. The oil filter turned before I even gripped it".

In my case it was my friend's 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander. It made me shudder.
No idea what service was used, if any.
All I could do was inform my friend.
Thinking of it still gives me the willies.

I don't use quick lube places, but I still go to a Nissan dealer and ask for the Gtr tech. I had him do work on my 370z and still request him for my other cars. He gets payed for the work he does at his normal rate and I trust him.

Hyundai dealer changed oil and did a recall on wife's Tuscon. Got it home, half a quart down on oil and a grease hand mark on the interior.

I think that Valvoline does a better job, but they do cost more. At least they have checks in place, and show me a full dipstick before I drive away.

I've never had any issues with the Valvoline Express Lube shops I've used. I used them on my fleet vehicle for 3-4 years and then in a pinch on one of my personal vehicles a few times. The nice thing is you stay in your vehicle and can kind of watch them.

My girlfriend took her Rav4 to the dealer for all maintenance for the 5 years she had it before I took over with zero issues as well. Never any weird upsells etc.

I can see the appeal of not wanting to deal with used oil etc if it's a chore to you instead of something you enjoy.

I just want to hear about this part 😂
I mentioned in the other jiffy lube thread but it came from one tank on the truck and he filled all of our tanks with it. Who even knows what company it was or anything it had no company on the side of the truck. Seemed really sketchy to me but I just done what I was told until we got the batch with metal shavings then I walked out the door. I asked the guy who delivered it what it was and he said it’s whatever they loaded in here it could be 0W-20 or 10W-40 or whatever but it’s all the same. The only real oil was in those cardboard boxes which was like the European blend and stuff.

And I'll throw this out there to whoever thinks the dealership or tire shop is a better place for "service" with 2 examples.

#1, mother-in-law had tires put on her car recently at one of the most well known and reputable tire places here. They sent her with a list of things they recommended that need to be done "right away". One on that list was front brake pads and the other was a significant oil leak. I reminded her that she had somebody else do her brakes about a year ago. I told her if she needed pads, I would do them at no charge if she bought the pads from the parts store.

Tore down the brake and removed the pads. Still had 60% of friction left. Rotors were in great shape. Also took notice to the significant oil leak. It was just slightly damp around the area of the main seal where a little bit of road grime was sticking to it. Her car's oil level has never been low when I've checked it. They were about to rip her off.

Next example, my sister-in-law swears by having the oil changed in her Nissan Altima at the dealer because they are so thorough...they check everything during a service. She calls and says that she hears a high pitch squeal from the front of her car and could I look at it. I tear it down and the brake pads are down to the backing plate. Zero friction left...inside or outside on both front hubs. I thought they checked everything??? Her invoices show a "check" beside the brake Inspection line.

So...based on some of the opinions here, we should all avoid tire shops and dealerships too.
Had oil changes done on my Silverado at Chevrolet Dealers literally all across the country-never an issue. So there is opposite anecdotal evidence for you.

Had oil changes done on my Silverado at Chevrolet Dealers literally all across the country-never an issue. So there is opposite anecdotal evidence for you.
Good for you. You want us to throw you a parade? If you want to quote my comments, you may consider quoting where I said "no shop or chain is perfect"....that includes dealerships.

I can't even count the ridiculous number of screwed up oil plugs I had to fix/replace over the years on vehicles that had their previous service done at a dealer. Almost always Ford and/or Honda...but also occasional GM vehicles. The other common issue I saw coming from dealerships were dry-fitted oil filters.

Back