I am considering the Dark Side. Quick Oil Change shops.

I am 83 years old and still doing my oil changes. However; the last few changes were really hard on my poor shoulder. I dread the time when I am unable to do it. I may consider oil removal through the dipstick or an indempent with a good reputation. I would not expect him to do an oil change with my oil for $10-15 but, would tell him what oil I want and let him purchase it or send me to AP for it on his tab. I don't want to CHEAP OUT on a trusted independent. Ed

I manage a small Canadian Tire garage. I’ve been around the industry my whole career, and I’ve found a lot of it comes down to the ‘team’ you have in the garage.
If they get along, care about the business even slightly, and watch each other’s backs they can perform miracles.
If they don’t, chances are you will have problems.

To me it’s kinda therapeutic. My 4.0L Tacoma is about as easy your going to get. My wife’s Pilot is easy but a slight pain in the rear, lol.

Had oil changes done on my Silverado at Chevrolet Dealers literally all across the country-never an issue. So there is opposite anecdotal evidence for you.
Lucky you. Of course you probably don't know if they put decent oil in it or not, for all you know they put non spec oil in it.

The fact is that the countless number of consumers that have had horrible experiences is pretty telling. The industry of auto repair and service is filled with hacks, jacklegs, thieves, and cons.

Lucky you. Of course you probably don't know if they put decent oil in it or not, for all you know they put non spec oil in it.

The fact is that the countless number of consumers that have had horrible experiences is pretty telling. The industry of auto repair and service is filled with hacks, jacklegs, thieves, and cons.
You do realize countless more have nothing to complain about? Don't you? And those who have good experiences don't sit in an armchair and write good reviews on the Internet?

Use mobil 1 ep and run for 15k with tough guard or ultra filters instead. Use equipment that'll make it go longer instead of paying a place. Don't know what civic you have but I assume it's no newer than mine and a regular Na port injected engine will do 15-20k on Mobil 1 EP or a year without issues.

You do realize countless more have nothing to complain about? Don't you? And those who have good experiences don't sit in an armchair and write good reviews on the Internet?
However the ratio seems to be quite high when it comes to serious complaints and tons of minor complaints as well, far more than probably any other industry has.

I think you know that at least in the US and Canada, the auto repair/service industry has serious problems and has for a long time partly because of how the system is laid out, but also because it attracts a lot of unscrupulous individuals.

Heck a few years back or so maybe a bit more there was even an article features in Automotive News about how there were pretty sizable organized programs to get convicted felons jobs in the industry.

Sorry but if I knew that a convicted felon was potentially going to work on my vehicle or drive it I would immediately leave that business and NEVER return.

I was working for a on your site fleet maintenance company (we work at your parking lots sucked) the owner was helping us that day he drained the oil from a chevy van but never put any thing back in. At the time he was playing games on his phone with his mother she was at another location. Yea they used the van for about 15 mins blew it up lost that contract they tried to give the van owners some ******** story but it must not of worked it was a fairly big contract they lost not much said about the whole thing when the owner blows one up $5000 done.

However the ratio seems to be quite high when it comes to serious complaints and tons of minor complaints as well, far more than probably any other industry has.

I think you know that at least in the US and Canada, the auto repair/service industry has serious problems and has for a long time partly because of how the system is laid out, but also because it attracts a lot of unscrupulous individuals.

Heck a few years back or so maybe a bit more there was even an article features in Automotive News about how there were pretty sizable organized programs to get convicted felons jobs in the industry.

Sorry but if I knew that a convicted felon was potentially going to work on my vehicle or drive it I would immediately leave that business and NEVER return.

I'll chime into your points. First of all...you say the ratio is high for complaints/claims? Lets crunch some simple numbers since statistics are a good way to look at things.

The last quick lube shop I worked in serviced roughly 25,000 vehicles in a calendar year (Jan 1 to Dec 31). Out of that 25K...we MAYBE had 5 legitimate complaints and even less had claims that required the shop to pay for any damage. That's less than 1%. I'd bet everything I own that percentage is uniform across the quick lube industry. The problem is that those 5 customers will go out of their way to smear, slander, and dog the facility.

The issue is almost always hyper-inflated and blown out of proportion. By the time the story of a vehicle that had the oil cap left off gets to BITOG, the car burned to the ground because it pumped all the oil out of the fill hole and the piston that flew through the engine block ruptured the fuel line and started the fire...and ultimately burned down the day care and nursing home the car came to a rest beside. Nope...I won't use quick lube facilities again. That's the vision you seek for the quick lube industry.

This same slanderous practice happens in EVERY industry that provides a public service. Restaurants, car washes, banks, lawn maintenance crews, body shops, etc, etc, etc. The reason quick lubes are getting singled out on this website is obviously because of the theme of BITOG.

Moving on to the convicted felon topic. One of the BEST...and I mean BEST employees to ever work for me, happened to be a convicted felon. It was a non violent charge. Dude did everything ever asked of him. He was punctual, professional, courteous, and humble. He had "prison tats" up both his arms, but he was always neat and presentable in his uniform. I had ZERO concern sending this guy to the bank whenever I needed change for the cash drawer...just like I had zero concern with him taking the deposit to the bank at the end of the day. He was with me for 4 years in which I never had the first complaint about.

To make a long story short, your claims are baseless and way less of an issue than you and people with your opinion make them to be. But you go right ahead with whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

The Valvoline Instant Oil Change places seem to be pretty decent in my area. I’ve heard from several friends that they are quite thorough and nail the vehicle oil requirements even for specialty stuff like VW and Mercedes/BMW.

If I didn’t change my own oil I wouldn’t have any issues going some place like that if the dealer was too expensive.

I'll chime into your points. First of all...you say the ratio is high for complaints/claims? Lets crunch some simple numbers since statistics are a good way to look at things.

The last quick lube shop I worked in serviced roughly 25,000 vehicles in a calendar year (Jan 1 to Dec 31). Out of that 25K...we MAYBE had 5 legitimate complaints and even less had claims that required the shop to pay for any damage. That's less than 1%. I'd bet everything I own that percentage is uniform across the quick lube industry. The problem is that those 5 customers will go out of their way to smear, slander, and dog the facility.

The issue is almost always hyper-inflated and blown out of proportion. By the time the story of a vehicle that had the oil cap left off gets to BITOG, the car burned to the ground because it pumped all the oil out of the fill hole and the piston that flew through the engine block ruptured the fuel line and started the fire...and ultimately burned down the day care and nursing home the car came to a rest beside. Nope...I won't use quick lube facilities again. That's the vision you seek for the quick lube industry.

This same slanderous practice happens in EVERY industry that provides a public service. Restaurants, car washes, banks, lawn maintenance crews, body shops, etc, etc, etc. The reason quick lubes are getting singled out on this website is obviously because of the theme of BITOG.

Moving on to the convicted felon topic. One of the BEST...and I mean BEST employees to ever work for me, happened to be a convicted felon. It was a non violent charge. Dude did everything ever asked of him. He was punctual, professional, courteous, and humble. He had "prison tats" up both his arms, but he was always neat and presentable in his uniform. I had ZERO concern sending this guy to the bank whenever I needed change for the cash drawer...just like I had zero concern with him taking the deposit to the bank at the end of the day. He was with me for 4 years in which I never had the first complaint about.

To make a long story short, your claims are baseless and way less of an issue than you and people with your opinion make them to be. But you go right ahead with whatever makes you feel better about yourself.
You are welcome to my "I don't drink the Kool AId Club" on BITOG if you wish to join!

I treat general service and tire shops of all stripes the same way one must treat gas station sushi and truck stop garden salads.
If it don't smell right...

Not a knock on the chains or big box locations at all, they are all different and you must trust your senses.

Case in point:

Local Walmart TLE would mount and balance tires for my vehicle, even if I got them shipped in. They are an oddball size so there wasn't any "Walmart" stock. Had an online retailer ship to store. I arrived as I got the email notice. Great!

Now I blame inexperience here. The tire tech was a fresh, perky and attractive young lady. The boys helped her haul my tires down from storage. They were busy but assured me they'd get it done. When the young lady tried to prop up my truck from a location you shouldn't jack it from, I ran out to the shop floor, waving my arms. "STOP! STOP!" If it wouldn't just fall from the floor jack, she would have caused major body harm for herself and the truck when it would fall and crush a door sill and body cladding.

I asked firmly but politely to please load my set of tires in the bed, I'll take care of it myself. I took it all down to a local indy shop and they took care of it all just right. Yes I'm one of those that lingers at the garage door and watches.

This same TLE is competent in oil changes however, but prefer still to just do my own. Unfortunately that very pretty girl wasn't working there a month later when I visited to pick up oil for my Impala, apparently she did manage to crunch a few too many other cars up under the fenders or kick panels. 😳

The independent garage that did my tires is also a Valvoline Lube Express. I let them handle my differential fluid or anything I just can't handle without a lift. They are expen$ive 🤑, but worth the money when I'm stuck. They also know I wrench and don't show up unless it's serious, so I get a bit of a break and respect. They've been worth every dollar every time. They get it right first shot and warranty all work.

So no, not everyone is a bad guy or crook, they can just be mostly inexperienced. Just keep your feelers out and observe. Then vote with your feet and wallet.

Around here the dealership won’t let you bring your own stuff I don’t know of anywhere that will
The Quick Lane I used to frequent would allow you to bring your own oil. You had to use a Motorcraft filter whether you or they supplied it.
Your credit for the Motorcraft 5w-xx blend was $3.36 a quart x 5. About $18 off of "The Works Package" which was $49.95

Since someone else revived this thread, I’ll say I have trice now paid quick lube places to change my oil. No problems at all so far.

We have a local quick lube here that is really good. My company trucks went through there and never had a problem. They still try to upsell things like differential changes on a 30k mile truck, but I could look past that.

Our Ford dealer is also really good for oil changes, as is our Toyota dealer. I had company vehicles go through both many, many times.

We have another brand dealer, however, that will never touch my cars, even if I buy them there. Too many bad experiences with two of our family cars. It reinforces why I work on them myself.

I have considered taking my Camry to Toyota for an upcoming oil change, as they took care of it for 226k miles and do really good inspections. I could also get some of the history I don’t know about it.

They charge a LOT for what they do.

They get a LOT of business because then you don't have to worry about having ANYTHING needed to change your own oil.

But is the experience and value good... no...

Your call.

We have a local quick lube here that is really good. My company trucks went through there and never had a problem. They still try to upsell things like differential changes on a 30k mile truck, but I could look past that.

Our Ford dealer is also really good for oil changes, as is our Toyota dealer. I had company vehicles go through both many, many times.

We have another brand dealer, however, that will never touch my cars, even if I buy them there. Too many bad experiences with two of our family cars. It reinforces why I work on them myself.

I have considered taking my Camry to Toyota for an upcoming oil change, as they took care of it for 226k miles and do really good inspections. I could also get some of the history I don’t know about it.
We have a competent Valvoline Instate Oil Change place in my local town. It's currently 15 degrees outside. I'm not crawling underneath my car for what they charge-even tho they are not cheap.

Back