Hyundai Transmission Fluid SP-IV-RR replacement?

I'm looking for a replacement for the fluid Hyundai SP-IV-RR for a 2015 Genesis 5.0 HTRAC. Note that SP-IV-RR and SP-IV are not compatible, so you need the "RR" to use that transmission fluid on the vehicle.

It looks like the choices are:

Any particular recommendations of which transmission fluid? Is any one better?

It looks like pricing on OEM Hyundai fluid (this is not the same fluid, but SP-IV-RR) has gone way up - but for assured compatibility, it seems like the $11.40 or so USD might be the best choice?
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...78/2/hyundai-kia-atf-huge-price-increase

Is it safe to mix these with the original factory OEM fluid? I spoke with a Hyundai technician and Hyundai procedure is to drain, not flush the transmission. So that means some of the original fluid will mix with the new fluid.

Last edited:
I and others have used Valvoline Maxlife in our Hyundai. Excellent product. It actually smoothed out my SantaFe transmission that downshifted a bit hard from the factory. Now using it in several of my cars and trucks. And it mixes nicely with the factory fluid. Use it with confidence.

Last edited:
Don't play games with fluid that are "compatible with" or "is suitable for use in", read this as this fluid doesn't meet one single spec. Get fluid that is spec, period. Other than OE the only one on that list I would consider is the Ravenol.

in a lesser vehicle I would be all for trying something like maxlife for this. But being that the specced fluid isn't compatible with their normal SP-IV I personally wouldn't risk it w anything other than oem.

Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I

Amsoil and Redline are not speced for the RR version. But that could be missed and not printed because of model obscurity. A call to verify would be in order if those two wanted to be in the running.

Originally Posted by Trav
Don't play games with fluid that are "compatible with" or "is suitable for use in", read this as this fluid doesn't meet one single spec. Get fluid that is spec, period. Other than OE the only one on that list I would consider is the Ravenol.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I'd go ONLY with the OEM or the Ravenol fluid.

I'm leaning in that direction right now - at least those are known for sure to be compatible.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I and others have used Valvoline Maxlife in our Hyundai. Excellent product. It actually smoothed out my SantaFe transmission that downshifted a bit hard from the factory. Now using it in several of my cars and trucks. And it mixes nicely with the factory fluid. Use it with confidence.

The Santa Fe uses the SP4, but not the "RR" version.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I

Amsoil and Redline are not speced for the RR version. But that could be missed and not printed because of model obscurity. A call to verify would be in order if those two wanted to be in the running.

It looks like it says "RR" on both, which is strange.

Go OEM.
I've asked my KIA dealer to change ATF at 30k and they put BG ATF SP4 compatible fluid, awesome on paper yet the car is not as smooth as it's used to be. And I could tell the difference right away.
Be careful with those Genesis transmissions, if I'm not mistaken it's actually a Jaguar manufactured one and cost a fortune to fix. I wouldn't play games with cheap stuff like Valvoline

Last edited:
If it was an ordinary Hyundai AT, I'd say go Maxlife ATF. This Genesis AT I'd go with OEM fluid.

Found this on a Genesis forum. The poster wrote Valvoline and asked about compatibility with a 2012 Genesis:

"FYI: I just got the official letter from Valvoline that their lube is in Hyundai spec:"

"Ben, thank you for contacting Valvoline for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your 2012 Hyundai Genesis application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet the SP-IV RR specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100% compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle and will not void any new car warranties.

Additionally, attached to this email, you will find a copy of the official letter listing all of the specifications our MaxLife ATF will cover.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline Product Support and have a great day.

Dave
Valvoline Product Support"

Mobil MV ATF Specs SP-IV-RR

Mobil MV SP-IV-RR

You got a 10yr powertrain warranty, right? You might consider sticking to a Hyundai ATF SP-IV-RR or at minimum the Ravenol for that expensive 8sp....

You spent $60k on it, why cheap out now while it's still under warranty?🤔

Originally Posted by The_Cams
Found this on a Genesis forum. The poster wrote Valvoline and asked about compatibility with a 2012 Genesis:

"FYI: I just got the official letter from Valvoline that their lube is in Hyundai spec:"

"Ben, thank you for contacting Valvoline for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your 2012 Hyundai Genesis application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet the SP-IV RR specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100% compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle and will not void any new car warranties.

Additionally, attached to this email, you will find a copy of the official letter listing all of the specifications our MaxLife ATF will cover.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us via email or by phone at 800 TEAM VAL. Thank you once again for contacting Valvoline Product Support and have a great day.

Dave
Valvoline Product Support"

Also google for these transmissions failure stories and cost of replacement. At the end of a day, it's gonna be you vs the dealer/manufacturer and their reasoning on whether cover it or not.
Not saying it happens to all the genesis transmissions, but I've found a bunch of stories on the web to be scared enough to not buy it.
I'm quite sure a dealer can flush it for around $400, why risk it over this much

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Go OEM.
I've asked my KIA dealer to change ATF at 30k and they put BG ATF SP4 compatible fluid, awesome on paper yet the car is not as smooth as it's used to be. And I could tell the difference right away.
Be careful with those Genesis transmissions, if I'm not mistaken it's actually a Jaguar manufactured one and cost a fortune to fix. I wouldn't play games with cheap stuff like Valvoline

Hyundai manufactures their own transmissions, although out of Borg Warner parts. They used to use ZF transmissions in the older Genesis models for the older V8 (the older V6 used an Aisin unit). They changed for MY2012.

The Kia K900 and Kia Stinger I believe share this transmission.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Mobil MV ATF Specs SP-IV-RR

Mobil MV SP-IV-RR

You got a 10yr powertrain warranty, right? You might consider sticking to a Hyundai ATF SP-IV-RR or at minimum the Ravenol for that expensive 8sp....

You spent $60k on it, why cheap out now while it's still under warranty?🤔

I did buy this used, so no the warranty is gone soon, but the point is taken. It is out of warranty in 2 months.

Go OEM.
I have used maxlife on Toyota, Audi, 3 hyundais, Honda, Ford, and Nissan.
Every time it performed better than OEM and held its performance longer.
Much better cold weather shifting across the board, cured strange shift issues, and in some cases dropped operating temps of AFF.

My usage tells me its pretty good stuff.
I'd go the maxlife route.

Back