Hyundai styling

Hideous, too angular, no personality, too much like so many other cars on the market. Why can't cars look unique and original? They all seem to clone each other, every "generation." It makes them all look the same, in the same decade.
Yea-kind of like the junk from the 70's.....

Yea-kind of like the junk from the 70's.....
The 1970s had an excuse; gas crisis and lack of HP, and lack of light weight materials and CAD designs, etc. So you'd end up with ugly little ****boxes with 95hp and exploding fuel tanks.

Today, no such excuse. We can EASILY stuff 300hp engines that get 30mpg in any car, and we know about aerodynamics, and have light weight materials.

Yet we still get turds, many many turds...

The 1970s had an excuse; gas crisis and lack of HP, and lack of light weight materials and CAD designs, etc. So you'd end up with ugly little ****boxes with 95hp and exploding fuel tanks.

Today, no such excuse. We can EASILY stuff 300hp engines that get 30mpg in any car, and we know about aerodynamics, and have light weight materials.

Yet we still get turds, many many turds...
We agree here. However-the squared off mid/full size cars from the 70's with 6 feet of hood were over weight beasts as well-even if the gas tanks were not exploding.

We agree here. However-the squared off mid/full size cars from the 70's with 6 feet of hood were over weight beasts as well-even if the gas tanks were not exploding.

Design and technology limitations (fuel economy, power, SAFETY, etc.) of companies who could not adapt fast enough and a population that had certain demands and beliefs. Let's not forget the other factor, safety. Vehicles of that era were death traps, and the best chance of survival was bigger cars. All steel, no crumple zones, lap seatbelts, terrible handing, terrible braking, terrible tires, poor headlights, no 3rd tail light, etc.

So consumers still wanted bigger cars, even with anemic power, to be (or feel) safer (and bigger was also status).

Again, today we have no excuse to produce eyesores. We have the safety, power, strong light weight materials, CAD, excellent craftsmanship ABILITY... we just rarely implement it. I can think of about 30 cars/trucks/SUVs in my lifetime that were truly excellent in most categories and only about 10 in all important categories... and that ain't many.

Reactions: CKN
Bad...real bad.

Not as bad as this poorly done, cheap looking Chinese knockoff of Lexus...oh wait it is a mainstream name. It is waaay worse in person.
2021-2022-mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-white-front-and-side-profile-driving-road-d.jpg

I would take a Kia or Hyundai or Mitsubishi any day over a Chrysler or Ford or GM product in looks warranty and price and you can put Hondas and Toyotas in there to these five companies are so overpriced it's ridiculous

Last edited:
Another thread that gives an opportunity for Hyundai bashing.

That Genesis is a nice looking car...BTW.
No Hyundai bashing here. I think they make some really nice stuff. I just find that Elantra to be really ugly, and most of their models just don't appeal to me. To my eye, the KIA arm of the company does a lot better on the styling front (the Forte looks a lot better to me this car).

It's ok'ish , It reminds me of our old 2016 Honda Civic.... but the Civic pulled it off better , IMHO

1648758112995.jpg

gs350.jpg

I'm selling our beater GS right now and ordering one! Yes Sir! Gotta have it....
Just kidding. Each to his or her own. I have never owned or even driven a Hyundai. I don't know anything about them.
I'm sure there are many owners that love their cars...

Plus, not all Toyotas are that bad looking, right?

Last edited:
It's ok'ish , It reminds me of our old 2016 Honda Civic.... but the Civic pulled it off better , IMHO

View attachment 94692
Because the Civic doesn't have factory installed creases/dents in the doors (except at the bottom where it looks halfway decent and has good lines). The Civic is too futuristic IMO (especially as of 2016), but they pulled it off reasonably well. The Hyundai, not so much; looks like one of their designers has an obsession with triangles.

Hideous, too angular, no personality, too much like so many other cars on the market. Why can't cars look unique and original?

If you could post up a photo of another sedan that has these intersecting straight line styling cues I'd like to see it. Do kinda like the fastback treatment. We want unique but not too unique.

If you could post up a photo of another sedan that has these intersecting straight line styling cues I'd like to see it. Do kinda like the fastback treatment. We want unique but not too unique.
I see 'em all over the roads. I just cannot ever remember which brand. They all look very similarly ugly. No character or personality IMO. As someone mentioned, someone had an obcession with triangles.

But every generation- it's like a flock of birds that all immediately replicate the others in fear of standing out.

Remember the boxy look of the 1980s. Then the 1990s ushered in the Fords, Mazdas, Toyotas, and Chevy cars and trucks of the 1990s had soft teardrop curved headlights and bubbly looking designs? Or the tail lights went from full trunk deck, to just the outter trip and not the trunk itself. Then the early 2000s we saw big circular often double headlamps across many brands...

Now we are "treated" with oversized grills, hideous lights, and angular arrowhead designs on all parts of our cars.

Both kia and hyundai have come a long way.One of the firstestimates I wrote for a t/l was a Kia and it had Korean newspaper inside the door shell for noise insulation. When Hyundai and Kia brought over German car designers from BMW they really started to get noticed. I have a 2016 Optima SXL and its by far the nicest car I've owned. Im looking at a Kia stinger GT2 now.

It’s looks better or worse in various colors for me. I am not a fan regardless. It looks cheap and immature.

Both kia and hyundai have come a long way.One of the firstestimates I wrote for a t/l was a Kia and it had Korean newspaper inside the door shell for noise insulation. When Hyundai and Kia brought over German car designers from BMW they really started to get noticed. I have a 2016 Optima SXL and its by far the nicest car I've owned. Im looking at a Kia stinger GT2 now.
mid 80s hyndai pony was the first korean car I ever got a ride in. Imported into Canada, but not the US as I recall. It was terrible but styled after the VW Fox.

Capture.JPG

I like it even though its not the best looking. Why? cause it's sharp and very different in a big sea of bland design. The last gen elantra however was really ugly. Looked like it got dropped on its face as a baby.

Back