Hyundai styling

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
This '22 Hundy showed up in the neighborhood the other day and the styling caught my eye. On their website it says: The sedan is back. With an edge.

What do you think? Can't say I like or dislike it but it does stand out. Notice the tires with some sidewall. The front is hideous.
Elantra.jpg

There has not been a decent looking Hyundai since 1988. Looks are not and never been their forte.
Are we talking about the same car company here? They’ve made some great looking cars.

Who makes better looking utilitarian cars?

There's a lot going on there with the styling. If I was buying a car in this segment, I think I'd do a GLI.

The sheet metal creases are a nice change of pace from boring styling but that rear end looks like the return of the Kammback.

It works better with darker colours for sure. I think it was the new Sonata or a Kia K5 that I noticed in a parking lot recently, really stood out and looked more expensive than several more expensive cars nearby.

I don’t like the styling of the Elantra, Sonata, or Kia K5 and can’t wait for their mid cycle refresh. I like the styling of Kia better these days. Maybe I should change my name to Kia Respecter 🫣

The front is even worse. This is more akin to North Korean styling. Kia is doing great because they snagged one of Audi's designers a few years ago. Design and styling is literally free, Hyundai can do better, they are just weird now.

style is subjective of course, but man....

At first I thought it was a nod to exceptional aerodynamics, but there are a lot of funny things on that car that inhibit laminar flow. Sure enough, the drag coefficient isn't that great (.28).

Compare that to say a Mazda 6, which is more aero and to my eye at least, orders of magnitude better looking.

Someone out there must like it? North Korean styling kinda hits the nail on the head, imo.

Back