Hyundai - oil recommendations from dealer

My 08 sonata had the 2.4 same motor or block used in Chrysler products “I think it was referred to as the world engine” never had one hiccup with that engine it was quite snappy as well. Was always given a diet of wolfs head 5w20 or Quaker state conventional. 🙄

My 08 sonata had the 2.4 same motor or block used in Chrysler products “I think it was referred to as the world engine” never had one hiccup with that engine it was quite snappy as well. Was always given a diet of wolfs head 5w20 or Quaker state conventional. 🙄
That's a sister engine to the 2L turbo in my Gen Coupe. It too has been flawless, the engine anyway. 135k on it now and still makes more oil that I put in......

Opps I should say flawless except for the timing chain. Same on as the 2.4L uses but they had to beef it up due to higher loads and rpm.

Hi all,

So, just took my wife’s, new to us, 2019 Hyundai Tucson in for a recall (knock sensor logic.). Apparently, they are now putting in 5W-30 in their cars for oil changes. Shifted from 5W-20. There is a bulletin from Hyundai saying “make it so.”

Interesting anyway.
When I worked at Kia, the recommended oil for Hyundai / Kia is Quaker state synthetic blend. That’s what we used. That’s what is stated in the owners manual. If it was my car I would be using Mobil 1 full synthetic.

When I worked at Kia, the recommended oil for Hyundai / Kia is Quaker state synthetic blend. That’s what we used. That’s what is stated in the owners manual. If it was my car I would be using Mobil 1 full synthetic.
Mobil 1 is great oil. Quaker state is also a good oil.

Hi all,

So, just took my wife’s, new to us, 2019 Hyundai Tucson in for a recall (knock sensor logic.). Apparently, they are now putting in 5W-30 in their cars for oil changes. Shifted from 5W-20. There is a bulletin from Hyundai saying “make it so.”

Interesting anyway.
Smart move. I had a 2019 Soul in the shop (Hertz car with about 100k) that had a knock sensor code and was stuck in limp mode with a flashing CEL, did all 4 plugs and refilled the oil with 5w30 and it never came back to the shop.

Korean motors should follow "As thick as possible and as thin as necessary (to start in cold weather). Works for me.

All you have to do is read the owners manual.... if its too confusing or borderline useless, then buy a different oil cap. Now I need to find a cap that says 5w-40.
Oilcap.jpg

I guess that Shell/QuakerState/Pennzoil/SOPUS hasn't been working out too well. Try to find this stuff locally.

kiatotal.jpg

All you have to do is read the owners manual.... if its too confusing or borderline useless, then buy a different oil cap. Now I need to find a cap that says 5w-40.
View attachment 104285

I guess that Shell/QuakerState/Pennzoil/SOPUS hasn't been working out too well. Try to find this stuff locally.

View attachment 104286
I noticed that in my fathers Kia manual. Isn’t total a French company?

We still own two Hyundais, and believe me, Hyundai is no Toyota.

The reason why they recommend 5W-30 is because those engines were never designed for lower viscosity oils, to begin with, so they tend to grenade when you run 0/5W-20 in them. Hyundai has improved things once they introduced MPI/GDI dual fuel injection. I can run 0W-20 safely in our 2020 Sonata, but when I had a 2018 2.4L Santa Fe, that thing would only see 0W-40, because on thinner oils it had a habit of chewing up its own bearings due to fuel dilution and other issues.

Considering current prices and market trends, we will not be buying another Hyundai, ever. There is always some surprise with their cars. Knock on wood, I took extra care of all of them to avoid running into issues, but that extra care is slowly getting on my nerves. I'd rather worry about other things.
I switched to thicker 5W30 synthetic oils with 4K ~ 5K / 6 month OCI's when I bought my Sonata new . *The manual for the 2.4L GDI non - turbo only shows 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 (no 0W40) ... Curious if the choice of using 0W40 is new ?

I just had Jiffy lude change my oil with 5-20 semi syn.
I told the them don't bother checking the air filter the car only has 17K miles on it and the dunce informed me that the new recommendation is to change it at 5K miles.
Do they think we are all stupid?

Have driven a 2017 Kia Optima back to back with 2020 Camry and the Kia felt much better made. It certainly handled, accelerated better than the Camry and was far more composed in general. The interior design and execution of the Optima was better.
Subjectively exterior was nicer looking than Camry.

The circa 2010 American made 2.4 gave them a bad rep.
Couldn't disagree more. We have both models in 2018 model year. The toyota handles better with actual steering feel, soaks up the bumps better, and seems quicker due to shorter gearing and 8 speed. Quality wise, especially in the interior, I'd say its about equal with an edge to the Kia. Toyota has some squeeks in the arm rest which is annoying as hell. I have no idea why they changed the infotainment design after 2018 Camry MY, the pop up screen looks horrible. The toyota's transmission is fine after the TCU TSB. I like both cars, but if I was buying new I'd chose the Toyota, much newer platform. I'd be interested if they improved any with the K5.

I'd use w30 in NA applications and w40 for turbo.

Couldn't disagree more. We have both models in 2018 model year. The toyota handles better with actual steering feel, soaks up the bumps better, and seems quicker due to shorter gearing and 8 speed. Quality wise, especially in the interior, I'd say its about equal with an edge to the Kia. Toyota has some squeeks in the arm rest which is annoying as hell. I have no idea why they changed the infotainment design after 2018 Camry MY, the pop up screen looks horrible. The toyota's transmission is fine after the TCU TSB. I like both cars, but if I was buying new I'd chose the Toyota, much newer platform. I'd be interested if they improved any with the K5.

I'd use w30 in NA applications and w40 for turbo.
I do agree on the bump soaking. The Toyota TNGA platform soaks up bumps incredibly well on the current Corolla atleast.

However the steering is typical Toyota lifeless and the overall handling much the same.
Typically Toyota's are smoother and Kia are more tactile in feel.

Last edited:
View attachment 104285

View attachment 104286
Total makes Kia branded oils, probably in the US under license but Kia stealerships use whomever gives them the cheapest bulk..

Back