Hyundai/Kia recall over 1/4 million vehicles for fire risk... Again

The recall doesn’t affect as many vehicles as listed, at least if I understand it correctly.

The faulty part is the wiring harness from car’s pre-wired trailer connector that EVERY palisade or telluride has to hitch.

Hyundais confusion is they don’t know which palisades have factory or oem hitches and wiring installed, only that almost every palisade is “tow ready.” ANY palisade that has a hitch with a Hyundai trailer 4 pin harness is affected, and Hyundai ONLY used 4 pin harnesses.

Tellurides are almost all 7 pin harnesses. Very few bad 4 pin harnesses. Again, like Hyundai, only 4 pin harnesses are the fire hazard and apparently Kia has better tabs on which vehicles have a 4 pin harness.

i'm not defending any manufacturer out there, they all had and still have their corks and problems...

However for Kia and its parent company, there is a reason why you have so many new Kias (not necessarily many old ones) on the road; first they attract more owners by better promotions up front in comparison to others, while the same people do not see the back end of the transaction; Second or even more important is their attractive warranty terms of 10Y or 100K miles drivetrain, the fact that the warranty solely sells Kia/Hyundai vehicles more than anything else
Hyundai/Kia also have lax credit standards compared to Toyota(if you’re financing through Hyundai Financial or Toyota Financial - credit unions don’t count). And they look better. But also, Hyundais flood the rental car market which means lower resale value and a decent deal as a used car.

Uber drivers have been ditching the Prius for Hyundais - the MPG advantage doesn’t offset looks or the potentially expensive items that go out/stolen on the former(brake actuators, batteries, cats).

Hyundai quality has gotten better over the last 25 years. But the Koreans generally don’t build things(except for ships) to last.

I’m on my second Hyundai Sonata, with no issues.
I think as soon as Hyundai ditched Mitsu platforms and engines(same can be said for Ford-era Kia using Mazda stuff) and engineered their own stuff it’s gotten better. The Sonata got into its own with the all-new mid-2000s model. Sure, it looks like an 7th gen Accord got beat with the ugly stick but they wasn’t joking with their “a Hyundai like you never seen before” marketing campaign.

I am on my 3rd Hyundai with no issues. In fact I have spent far far more on my Ford F-150 on repairs than all three of my Hyundai combined. Just sayin.

Not saying much. My Bronco and F-150 have been my worst vehicles
I had a guy that worked for me who owned a Bronco. It was always having problems. And I wish I had never bought the F-150. At the time I was also looking at a Chevy pickup. I should have bought that instead.

I think as soon as Hyundai ditched Mitsu platforms and engines(same can be said for Ford-era Kia using Mazda stuff) and engineered their own stuff it’s gotten better. The Sonata got into its own with the all-new mid-2000s model. Sure, it looks like an 7th gen Accord got beat with the ugly stick but they wasn’t joking with their “a Hyundai like you never seen before” marketing campaign.
Its always been hit or miss for these brands but seems to be more miss lately.
My now wife introduced me to these older Kias and their quality really surprised me. Her’s was an 06 Spectra ex rental, owned by a woman that knew nothing of cars for the first 7yrs until I came into her life. The interior plastics were a hot mess and could not tolerate any R&I for repairs, but mechanically it was solid and performed extremely well, A/C system and all until I sold it to someone who was going to export it to Libya before this whole supply chain thing crashed. I had enough faith in the powertrain that it prompted me to buy her a newer Elantra touring that had the same engine/trans. The interior is garbage, transmission a really ****ty Mitsubishi based gear hunter, but if your expectations are low you would be surprised.

On the contrary I have never heard as many badly ticking time bomb motors at redlights, in parking lots and driveways as I have with the Elantras featuring that 1.8L Theta engine that was an utter and complete disaster. I even saw one go pop on the highway, several years back. Many many stories of engines that just failed despite perfect service records. and yes now this endless barrage of fire recalls. Probably not enough time left in this ICE era for me to consider or recommend this brand to loved ones.

Its always been hit or miss for these brands but seems to be more miss lately.
My now wife introduced me to these older Kias and their quality really surprised me. Her’s was an 06 Spectra ex rental, owned by a woman that knew nothing of cars for the first 7yrs until I came into her life. The interior plastics were a hot mess and could not tolerate any R&I for repairs, but mechanically it was solid and performed extremely well, A/C system and all until I sold it to someone who was going to export it to Libya before this whole supply chain thing crashed. I had enough faith in the powertrain that it prompted me to buy her a newer Elantra touring that had the same engine/trans. The interior is garbage, transmission a really ****ty Mitsubishi based gear hunter, but if your expectations are low you would be surprised.

On the contrary I have never heard as many badly ticking time bomb motors at redlights, in parking lots and driveways as I have with the Elantras featuring that 1.8L Theta engine that was an utter and complete disaster. I even saw one go pop on the highway, several years back. Many many stories of engines that just failed despite perfect service records. and yes now this endless barrage of fire recalls. Probably not enough time left in this ICE era for me to consider or recommend this brand to loved ones.
I think the switch to all electric might equal better quality for all the OEs - less moving parts, more modularization, less human interaction and more automation. However, the Korean chaebols compete with each ofher - unlike Japanese keiretsus that are competitive but also intertwined. Hyundai isn’t going to buy batteries from Samsung - they build cars in a joint venture with Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi. I have a feeling a Hyundai EV will be almost all in-house except for batteries(LG Chem).

However, Hyundai’s Ioniq series while cool looking I’ve heard were a little half-baked. Hyundai’s a big conglomerate and they have their tentacles dipped outside of cars - trains, ships, steel and AEC. However, Hyundai Rotem has been taken to court in the US over train quality issues.

Crown vic.jpg

I saw a new Kia Stinger on the road today. It was that really shiny slate gray type color. I think it's one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen!!(y)

Back