Hyundai engine failures getting news again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by WondrousBread
While the article is slightly ambiguous about whether he only changed the oil every 20 000 km, or just that his receipts only verify every 20 000 km and he had it changed more frequently, something is weird here.

"After getting the recall notice, Lingard submitted his receipts to Hyundai Canada. It rejected the claim, saying his first engine failure was due to "insufficient engine maintenance, not the recall" because Lingard didn't do sufficiently frequent oil changes prior to 100,000 kilometres of driving, and didn't provide receipts for subsequent changes.

The company says he changed his oil every 20,000 kilometres instead of every 12,000 as required by the manual. After the warranty expired, Lingard says he stopped going to the dealership for oil changes
. "

The implication, if I'm reading it correctly, is that during the warranty he took it to the dealer for oil changes every 20 000 km. Then he stopped taking it to the dealer, presumably (though unverified) took it elsewhere, and couldn't produce receipts. The fact that at no point does he claim otherwise makes me think this is true.

Assuming my interpretation of the article is accurate, denying coverage makes sense. He didn't stick to the manufacturer OCI in the time he had it serviced at the dealer, then had unverifiable service history after that. I wouldn't expect him to be able to produce every receipt, but it seems like the record at the dealer indicates he was already not having the oil changed soon enough.

The article is ambiguous enough that it's hard to understand the whole situation here.

Solid take IMHO. There's definitely enough ambiguity regarding his situation that it makes it impossible to decipher the exact series of events and circumstances.

The other couple, who had an engine fail in the same manner, but isn't covered under the recall campaign doesn't help with the optics here.

Yeah, to me it sounds like the older couple is getting screwed. Hyundai has it in their power to do right by them and should. I feel bad for them...the other guy I'm not so sure about. I think he may be a victim of his own decision making.

Last edited:
This is a shame. I had a 2003 Santa Fe that was a great vehicle for 15 years. I never had engine troubles. My son-in-law recently bought a 2018 Kia and had to have the engine replaced a few months ago under warranty. I hope he has better luck with the second engine.

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
This is a shame. I had a 2003 Santa Fe that was a great vehicle for 15 years. I never had engine troubles. My son-in-law recently bought a 2018 Kia and had to have the engine replaced a few months ago under warranty. I hope he has better luck with the second engine.

I'm wondering if it's a design flaw or assembly (line) issue at certain Hyundai/Kia plants? Like you I've got Kia V6 right now that's pushing 200k miles and it doesn't burn any discernable amount of oil. The powertrain runs great and this is my 2nd Hyundai/Kia. My first was an early 2000's Elantra MPI i4 with the manual gearbox.. wasn't a bad car, no major engine issues, but not supercar either just sorta meh. It was a good commuter and that's what I bought it for.

CKN did you miss your daily dose of mood enhancement medication ??
lol.gif

Just messing with ya... Hope you have been doing good.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Toyota and Honda engines are just breaking in at 100k --- Kia/Hyundai -- implode!!!

My '04 Corolla is about to roll over 400K, but that's insignificant to the Korean make lovers...they'll still claim they're just as good or better than the Japanese makes...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by mrdctaylor

I'm wondering if it's a design flaw or assembly (line) issue at certain Hyundai/Kia plants? Like you I've got Kia V6 right now that's pushing 200k miles and it doesn't burn any discernable amount of oil. The powertrain runs great and this is my 2nd Hyundai/Kia. My first was an early 2000's Elantra MPI i4 with the manual gearbox.. wasn't a bad car, no major engine issues, but not supercar either just sorta meh. It was a good commuter and that's what I bought it for.

Possibly. If they aren't careful they are going to undo all of the goodwill they built up over the last 15+ years. I would've bought a Hyundai/Kia without hesitation prior to my son-in-law's issue (and subsequent things I've read online).

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Toyota and Honda engines are just breaking in at 100k --- Kia/Hyundai -- implode!!!

My '04 Corolla is about to roll over 400K, but that's insignificant to the Korean make lovers...they'll still claim they're just as good or better than the Japanese makes...

You nailed that right on the head. Way to go for your Corolla.

Originally Posted by Trav
Oil is Cheap and engines are expensive, changing the oil is a no brainer IMO. 3-5K for me.

this. Seeing now that my family has 2 hyundais , i intend to change the oil every 5k miles. a synthetic oil change is so cheap these days, why not? i think the guy is blaming someone else for his own foolishness in not changing the oil .

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
This story is why I'll never understand the extended oci crowd. Some people have good luck with the long intervals, or is it just luck after all? Oil is so cheap,keeping it changed and clean is more important than the brand imo.

Extended OCI's? Changing at the distance recommended by the manufacturer does not equal "extended" and the 3000 mile OCI was a Jiffy Lube con. Some of the sumps have 7+ quarts of oil in them. If a 7.5K OCI cannot be obtained with at least 7 quarts of more oil then something is wrong.

Going 12K miles when the recommended mfc oci is 7.5K miles is an extended oci. How some on here blame any mfc for something like this is beyond me. People need to take responsibility for their own negligence. Oil changes are the most basic maintenance and this was a failure to maintain properly.

Our Santa Fe Sport Turbo passed 208k miles on 3-4k ml oci and is running just fine. This isn't rocket science.

Amen Wemay.
But there will always be a crowd that looks at the oil currently in your Sport Turbo and say "What a waste" ...that you are disposing M1 after only 3-4K.

I'm in your corner and we-both will do what's best for our TGDI / GDI engines.

With fuel dilution 3-4k is definitely the right move on a GDI engine unless you're doing extremely long highway driving every day on synthetic.

That particular vehicle sees bumper to bumper severe service weekdays with long hwy trips on the occasional weekend. Heck, even the Kia gets a 3-4k ml oci. It drives in 95% city...also severe.

My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 initially received a 5,000 mile OCI; multiple UOA revealed a 7,500 mile OCI was, if anything, conservative. This was at the time that some "experts" were claiming that DI motors completely wrecked the oil in 3,000 miles or less. When I flipped it for my 2er it had 158,000 miles on the click and was running as good as new.

Originally Posted by Danno
Interesting that Hyundai requires a 6,000 km (3750 mile) oci for warranty coverage. Had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L. One of the best cars I've owned.

6000km oci...‚ Hyundai wouldn't sell one car overhere... if they did require 6000 km oci for warranty coverage!

Originally Posted by Trav
Oil is Cheap and engines are expensive, changing the oil is a no brainer IMO. 3-5K for me.

I agree! Truck is 3000 miles and the other cars get it 4000 to 5000 miles.

Preach! Modern engines are power dense and make a ton of heat, if you drive them hard they are hard on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back