Hyundai 1.6 GDi oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 1.6 Gdi engine on a Hyundai ix35. Its tha same engine as in the non- turbo veloster. The car has 92000km --57000miles. I am always using 5w30 fully sythetic oil. I have tried Fuchs titan 5w30 pro-c3, castrol magnatec c3 5w30 , castrol edge ll 5w30, petronas syntium xs 5w30 and Mobil 1 esp formula. I change my oil every 3k miles now. When the car was new I was changing the oil every 5000miles with the castrol edge ll 5w30 that the dealer provided. The car didnt consume any oil between intervals
On the last 2 oil changes...one with petronas and one with the magnatec it started to consume oil but only if driven hard. I like to push it to the redline to blow out some of the carbon but now am concerned if I am doing harm to the engine by pushing it to much due to the oil consumption
Any thoughts?
Should I use a havier oil like 5w40? Should I stop pushing the engine to the redline?

As an example.
I went on a 300 mile trip with all the family and the car was fully loaded at highway speeds 75 mph. No oil comsumption.
Yesterday took it on a 30 mile trip. Went through gears 3-4 times and I was changing at the redline
200ml oil comsumption.

On occasion changing brands of oil can cause consumption issues for a few OCIs and then return to normal. I see you made a few brand changes. Have you given the oils a chance at a few OCIs before changing brands hoping to reduce consumption? How's the PCV valve? That can cause oil consumption issues too. Frequently hitting redline can cause consumption too, and redlining a cold engine repeatedly can cause damage over time, which might result in consumption. If you gave the oils above a few OCIs and the PCV is good, no leaks, valves seals are good, bumping a grade up is worth a shot.

Is this ix35 your family car?
Is a 5W40 or a 0W40 an approved oil in you owner's manual?
If so, you may want to try this. However, I think from what you've said, it's the redlining of the engine that is causing most of your oil consumption. And it seems that during normal driving, the engine doesn't burn any oil at all or very little. As member "demarpaint" has mentioned, check/change the PCV valve.

Also, being a GDI engine, a proper intake valve cleaning by a professional or yourself, my be in order instead of redlining the engine to clean out the carbon. There may be some gunked up intake valves & stuck piston rings in this engine due to being a GDI engine, IDK!

Others will chime in with more information.

Last edited:
I am going to check the pcv valve and clean it with some carb cleaner and see if that helps.
Yes this is my family car. The manual allows for 5w30 and 5w40 engine oil. I am also planning to do an HHO carbon cleaning but I am a bit concerned if that is going to harm the engine. I havent seen any posts on the net for this method of carbon cleaning.
Also I try not to push the engine when is cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Is this ix35 your family car?
Is a 5W40 or a 0W40 an approved oil in you owner's manual?
If so, you may want to try this. However, I think from what you've said, it's the redlining of the engine that is causing most of your oil consumption. And it seems that during normal driving, the engine doesn't burn any oil at all or very little. As member "demarpaint" has mentioned, check/change the PCV valve.

Also, being a GDI engine, a proper intake valve cleaning by a professional or yourself, my be in order instead of redlining the engine to clean out the carbon. There may be some gunked up intake valves & stuck piston rings in this engine due to being a GDI engine, IDK!

Others will chime in with more information.

Good point about the GDI and carbon.

Clean pcv and stick to one oil for a while. I've never been a proponent of redlining to clean out carbon, so i would take it easy on that front. Although 5w40 has a heavier cSt, the HTHS of the 5w30 C3 oils you've been using is already at 3.5. If you have anything like CRC Carbon Cleaner, you can try a can to clean the valves somewhat, but this method is debatable.

One thing to note, consumption has existed since the inception of ICE, so it's not automatic that this is GDi related.

Originally Posted by Costas00
I have the 1.6 Gdi engine on a Hyundai ix35. Its tha same engine as in the non- turbo veloster. The car has 92000km --57000miles. I am always using 5w30 fully sythetic oil. I have tried Fuchs titan 5w30 pro-c3, castrol magnatec c3 5w30 , castrol edge ll 5w30, petronas syntium xs 5w30 and Mobil 1 esp formula. I change my oil every 3k miles now. When the car was new I was changing the oil every 5000miles with the castrol edge ll 5w30 that the dealer provided. The car didnt consume any oil between intervals
On the last 2 oil changes...one with petronas and one with the magnatec it started to consume oil but only if driven hard. I like to push it to the redline to blow out some of the carbon but now am concerned if I am doing harm to the engine by pushing it to much due to the oil consumption
Any thoughts?
Should I use a havier oil like 5w40? Should I stop pushing the engine to the redline?

As an example.
I went on a 300 mile trip with all the family and the car was fully loaded at highway speeds 75 mph. No oil comsumption.
Yesterday took it on a 30 mile trip. Went through gears 3-4 times and I was changing at the redline
200ml oil comsumption.

You keep red-lining the budget-friendly engine while constantly changing oil brands and can't understand the consumption afterwards?
Sorry, but that's funny!

Should I use a havier oil like 5w40? Should I stop pushing the engine to the redline? As an example. I went on a 300 mile trip with all the family and the car was fully loaded at highway speeds 75 mph. No oil comsumption. Yesterday took it on a 30 mile trip. Went through gears 3-4 times and I was changing at the redline -- 200ml oil comsumption.

When results are a little inconsistent or puzzling based on some measurement (dipstick oil level here), we engineers will examine our measurement methods to look for possible variation errors.

In a lot of modern engines, it takes a long time for hot oil to drain down to the sump.
Also, you have to realize if there is a delta 50 degreee celsius difference in oil temperature when you check hot vs.cold, that means there is a 200 ml difference in oil level simply by temperature expansion alone. (0.00088/C coefficient of thermal expansion).

For accuracy, always check on level ground, cold, in the morning for example, or at least after the engine has been off for 3+ hours.

On redlining & use of a heavier oil, I wouldn't take it to redline more than once a week or so, & using a heavier oil would help a little.

I will stay with one oil for now. The easiest to find are Castrol and Petronas. Petronas is cheaper but which one do you recomend? I will also change the PCV valve before trying a heavier oil and see how it goes

I will stay with one oil for now. The easiest to find are Castrol and Petronas. Petronas is cheaper but which one do you recomend? I will also change the PCV valve before trying a heavier oil and see how it goes
At 92000 km, I very much doubt there is any issue with the PCV valve.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

You keep red-lining the budget-friendly engine while constantly changing oil brands and can't understand the consumption afterwards?
Sorry, but that's funny!

If we naturally assume all engines are weak junk that can only fare well by being babied, I'd be chuckling but if operating the engine in the factory specified rev range causes it to consume a lot of oil in the real world, I'd be kinda miffed. Those Hyundais don't seem to like the European duty cycle because I remember anotehr European member complaining about excessive blowby after running his Hyundai on the 'bahn.

How much oil consumption are we talking about? The only reference I see is a 30 mile trip where you're running it to redline and it used the equivalent of 6 1/2 ounces of oil. You advise that you went on a 300 mile trip with no consumption...what are the expectations here and how does that relate to supposed carbon deposits?? Are you losing a quart in your 3000 mile OCI or are you losing two quarts, etc.??

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
At 60,000 miles my "100,000" mile PCV catastrophically failed sucking oil like a drunk sailor.
That's interesting , for my limited experience in Asian engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back