Hydraulic Hose

Gang,

What hose would you recommend for handling engine oil? My top pressure is 85PSI and the operating temperature is about 240F. It will have crimped -10AN (JIC) fittings and I believe that a 1/2" ID hose is more than enough to handle the volume. Last, but not least, it needs to be flexible.

Input welcome.

A little more information on the application would help. I'd personally get a braided steel hose from someone like Speedway motors, Jegs or some other racing outfit that does this. You can also visit a local Parker hose shop and they can make you a hose.

Curious why you think a 1/2" hose will work when you are using 5/8" fittings (-10AN)?

Just my $0.02

A little more information on the application would help. I'd personally get a braided steel hose from someone like Speedway motors, Jegs or some other racing outfit that does this. You can also visit a local Parker hose shop and they can make you a hose.

Curious why you think a 1/2" hose will work when you are using 5/8" fittings (-10AN)?

Just my $0.02
I think that braided stainless would be too stiff. What I meant was that 1/2" would be enough for the flow capacity requirements, but yes, the -10AN fittings are 5/8". I plan to have a hose made but was curious as to what everyone is using.

The application is a 2019 3.6L Wrangler that has an oil pressure maximum of 80PSI (typically 33PSI at less than 3K RPM and up to 80PSI above 3K). The oil temperature is typically 230F. I am looking for a hose that can handle the temperature and be flexible as it will need to have a 4" bend in it. The pressure is not really an issue since most hydraulic hose can handle exponentially more pressure than what I have.

I think that braided stainless would be too stiff. What I meant was that 1/2" would be enough for the flow capacity requirements, but yes, the -10AN fittings are 5/8". I plan to have a hose made but was curious as to what everyone is using.

The application is a 2019 3.6L Wrangler that has an oil pressure maximum of 80PSI (typically 33PSI at less than 3K RPM and up to 80PSI above 3K). The oil temperature is typically 230F. I am looking for a hose that can handle the temperature and be flexible as it will need to have a 4" bend in it. The pressure is not really an issue since most hydraulic hose can handle exponentially more pressure than what I have.
fair enough. I'd call your local Napa store or Parker hose store. They will probably be the experts for you.

Just my $0.02

Parker 836

Parker 836

That looks to be perfect--just need to be sure it can be used with crimp on fittings.

Thanks!

That looks to be perfect--just need to be sure it can be used with crimp on fittings.

Thanks!
Per my thread 836 is press on. You can’t change fittings or get an adapter?

I am curious if there’s a version of 836 that crimps on or uses other barbed fittings…. I have need for some custom hoses myself.

Edit: I just looked…

IMG_7359.jpeg

Per my thread 836 is press on. You can’t change fittings or get an adapter?

I am curious if there’s a version of 836 that crimps on or uses other barbed fittings…. I have need for some custom hoses myself.
I don't want to worry about the fittings pulling out. The hose will see 80PSI and a lot of vibration over time.

I don't want to worry about the fittings pulling out. The hose will see 80PSI and a lot of vibration over time.
See edit above. They can be crimped. I’d suspect that Parker as a reputable manufacturer figured that issue in their design and test.

See edit above. They can be crimped. I’d suspect that Parker as a reputable manufacturer figured that issue in their design and test.
Nice, just need to get the cooler mounted, get some measurements and go shopping.

Thanks for the info!

Back