Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant

My trusty old Astro is used to pull my boat and trailer through some steep mountainous terrain and sometimes the coolant temperature is rising to a point that I am getting worried.

Browsing at WalMart the other day I stumbled upon this product Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant and bought it without much further thought - mixed with water only, it promises to run up to 20 degrees cooler - sounds mighty good to me.

Now I am starting to have second thoughts - could this stuff actually do more harm than good? Does anyone here have experiences with this product, good or bad?

It might run a few degrees cooler, but nowhere near 20 degrees cooler.

Pull over and give the old girl a break for a while if she needs it - or go slower.

Redline's Water Wetter is another one of those type of products.

No way Id run just that with water in a system. Youre asking to kill the old van...

It may work, just using straight water alone will cool better than coolant. Straight water is not recommended because of rust and corrosion build up. It may not work if the temp increase is due to the transmission.

But you will have to winterize because of the lack of anti-freeze, so you will be changing coolant every spring and fall. For the added cost of changing coolant twice a year you could permantly upgrade your cooling system.

Are you towing in overdrive?

Last edited:
You can get a new all aluminum 2 row radiator with engine and transmission oil coolers for $138 on ebay.

I've heard rave reviews about it (as well as the "Water Wetter" product, used in the performance cars....)...when was the last time you had the cooling system inspected for leaks, etc....? Perhaps it's just due for a dump and re-fill (with 50/50 mix of af/water...)? If it looks dirty/nasty/rusty coming out, I'd recommend a flush....

And then perhaps a thermostat replacement....

JHZR2: this product advertises it lubricates the pump and protects against corrosion. I was thinking to run this product and water - not water only.

AVB: yeah, I realize that I will have to drain and refill with coolant when summer is over, but that is not a big deal for me as I am also doing almost all the towing during the summer months - don't need additional cooling during the winter months.

I do have a tranny cooler installed - I don't think anything is wrong with the vehicle, or different from what it always was - it is just pushed to the max by towing a heavy trailer up steep mountain roads in summer heat.

I am towing towing in "D", letting the tranny decide which gear is best - the weight of the trailer makes it stay out of overdrive most of the time. Should I not tow in "D"?

ahoier: Radiator was replaced 2 years ago, and thermostat was replaced last year, but the heater core is quite plugged - little or no heat in the cabin on cold winter days. Could that harm the cooling capacity of the entire system?

I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:
It depends on the total weight of the van and boat or trailer combined 10,000lbs. is about the max for a 4l60 transmission in overdrive. More gear changes = more slippage = more heat.

The clogged heater core could indicate other restrictions in the cooling system. The rust or what ever is in the heater core probably came from the engine.

I am towing about 3,500 lbs and carry another ~ 500 lbs in the van. It is a lot of weight, but I would still think it is below 10,000 lbs total?

Please note your extreme liability if you exceed the mfgr recommended limits in any way.

Any accident is on you, and your insurance now has a way out!!

This can be very serious. Be careful.

Originally Posted By: sr17
I am towing about 3,500 lbs and carry another ~ 500 lbs in the van. It is a lot of weight, but I would still think it is below 10,000 lbs total?

I think it is close enough that I would be uncomfortable using overdrive. I have a 1994 GMC Suburban 4x4 I never towed more than 1300lbs. I went up about 2 tires sizes on it with no towing and a few weeks later it started boiling out the transmission fluid.

I used this product in a big block Pontiac engine that was running 210 on hot days. I switched from 50-50 antifreeze to water plus this Hyperlube and never got over 200. So i guess that makes me a happy customer.

Used Red hy-per diesel in a heavy duty diesel engine( 12.7 series 60). Constantly dropped water gauge by 10F. Added 2 containers of 532ml each in about 12 gallons coolant system.

JHZR2: this product advertises it lubricates the pump and protects against corrosion. I was thinking to run this product and water - not water only.

AVB: yeah, I realize that I will have to drain and refill with coolant when summer is over, but that is not a big deal for me as I am also doing almost all the towing during the summer months - don't need additional cooling during the winter months.

I do have a tranny cooler installed - I don't think anything is wrong with the vehicle, or different from what it always was - it is just pushed to the max by towing a heavy trailer up steep mountain roads in summer heat.

I am towing towing in "D", letting the tranny decide which gear is best - the weight of the trailer makes it stay out of overdrive most of the time. Should I not tow in "D"?

ahoier: Radiator was replaced 2 years ago, and thermostat was replaced last year, but the heater core is quite plugged - little or no heat in the cabin on cold winter days. Could that harm the cooling capacity of the entire system?

I appreciate the feedback!

Snake coolant additive. How can it (or any of the others) lubricate a modern water pump? It would have to eat the seals away first before it could get to the bearings themselves. It also cannot raise the boiling point of the water as coolant does. IMO drain that crap and put coolant/antifreeze in it 50/50 with no additives.
automotive_car_water_pump_shaft_bearing_885147_885151b.jpg

Used Red hy-per diesel in a heavy duty diesel engine( 12.7 series 60). Constantly dropped water gauge by 10F. Added 2 containers of 532ml each in about 12 gallons coolant system.
You must have a broken thermostat.

Why did you resurrect an eight-year-old thread to bring us that commercial?

Back