Super Tech Asian (Red) Antifreeze/Coolant

People's irrational fear over 2-EHA is based on the fact that it is a plasticizer, but the fact that the sebacate used by the Japanese coolants is also a plasticizer is conveniently overlooked. Many OEM's like VW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, etc use coolant with 2-EHA without issue, so if you want to needlessly worry about 2-EHA than you should also be needlessly worrying about sebacate.
There is some negative history with 2-EHA and Asian manufactuers have consciously chosen not to use it.
The concern is compatibility with hoses, gaskets, and such. The other OEMs may be using different materials.

I'm not intimately aware of the science here, so I would just play it as safe as possible.

People's irrational fear over 2-EHA is based on the fact that it is a plasticizer, but the fact that the sebacate used by the Japanese coolants is also a plasticizer is conveniently overlooked. Many OEM's like VW, Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar, etc use coolant with 2-EHA without issue, so if you want to needlessly worry about 2-EHA than you should also be needlessly worrying about sebacate.

The difference is that Japanese cars don't have any widespread problems from their sebacate coolant.

At least Honda sells an extreme low temperature version, albeit in quarts, that you can add to lower the freezing point.

It's not necessarily a concentrate though. Looking at their specs, it's probably equivalent to 60% concentrate.

s-l1600.jpg

It's not necessarily a concentrate though. Looking at their specs, it's probably equivalent to 60% concentrate.

s-l1600.jpg
It's purpose is to lower the freezing point 'a bit' by replacing some (1 qt) of the Type II premix in radiator. And last I checked, pricey. With little exception in the lower 48, not really needed. 50% protects to -34F. Canada, perhaps a need.

As I said above, Prestone has something special going on with their AMAM coolants-the yellow Prestone readily mixes with both MC Specialty Orange & regular Dexcool, because I've done it on the company Transit with no ill effects. Ford actually recommends the Yellow (Prestone AMAM) in place of the Orange, without flushing or even draining the remaining Orange on a repair. I'm not dumping Prestone in any of the family Toyotas, though!

s-l1600.jpg
The newer guys at the Honda dealer parts department are always confused when I ask for this stuff. Have to give them the part number and of course it's not something they keep in stock around here. As for not being needed, when you flush out the cooling system, there is always a few quarts of water left in the passages and adding just the 50/50 mix might only give you protection down to +10F or 0F. Adding a quart of this usually gets it down to around -25F or less depending on the car.

The newer guys at the Honda dealer parts department are always confused when I ask for this stuff. Have to give them the part number and of course it's not something they keep in stock around here. As for not being needed, when you flush out the cooling system, there is always a few quarts of water left in the passages and adding just the 50/50 mix might only give you protection down to +10F or 0F. Adding a quart of this usually gets it down to around -25F or less depending on the car.

I wouldn't be sure that it would be the same thing as a concentrate watered down to 60%. The additives could very well be geared towards being at the same specific concentration as the 50/50 premix. I've asked about it with Honda, and the usually answer is to not do a flush and just drain and replace. Now I can't find an engine drain bolt or a bleed bolt in my wife's 2002 Civic, so I just made sure it was topped off and checked it.

Back when I was using Subaru genuine coolant, I saw a service bulletin that their coolant could be used for the replacement interval at any concentration given in a chart. I think it started at about 38% concentrate, where the freezing/boiling point might be higher, but the cooling efficiency would be higher since water is much better for heat transfer.

The difference is that Japanese cars don't have any widespread problems from their sebacate coolant.
Toyota MZ series V6s and UR series V8s use a similar “wet” block design - the valley is a water passage for the block and the water inlet housing that also includes the thermostat housing is known to leak. Toyota pink coolant has shown to be aggressive to silicone RTV to a point where Toyota calls for different sealant for aftermarket repairs(1282B). There’s been reports on ClubLexus of the valley plates leaking and it’s a common Camry/Sienna problem.

guys on the Tundra forums are also reporting water pump leaks as well.

My local Walmart had those varieties of coolant for about a week, I purchased a oil filter and noticed the Toyota/Lexus coolant yesterday. I probably buy a gallon since it's only $10.97 at the Walmart in my area,. I been using prestone coolant for years in my Toyota and never had any coolant related problems.

I just drained the antifreeze today in my Ford Edge, I picked up a couple gallons of coolant at Napa. It's called NAPA Orange, sort of like Peak original equipment technologies.

I already took the beater 2000 Camry that I maintain and switched it to regular universal stuff years ago with no issues. I maintain 4 vehicles and no reason to keep 4 different half empty containers of antifreeze around.

I already took the beater 2000 Camry that I maintain and switched it to regular universal stuff years ago with no issues. I maintain 4 vehicles and no reason to keep 4 different half empty containers of antifreeze around.
Out of curiosity, which universal fluid do you use?

*I have had good luck with either Valvoline or Zerez Asian Blue and Red long life anti-freeze ... This is what I will stay with and shop for the best price .

When I changed the coolant for the first time in my 2008 Corolla at 6 years and 74K I used Peak Global Lifetime (PGL). I usually change before 6 years but Toyota said their pink FF was good for 10 years so I went a bit further than usual before changing it. I changed it again 4 years later @ 120K using the same PGL. I have had zero issues using PGL and recommend it for both Asian and American vehicles. PGL doesn't use 2-EHA or sebecate and uses sodium benzoate instead.

Last edited:
I picked up some of this Super Tech for Toyota/Lexus/Scion today. Replacing the radiator in my 2006 Lexus RX400h hybrid. Now wondering if it is the correct formulation. I looked at the safety data sheet and didn't see any info on the actual formulation.

I picked up some of this Super Tech for Toyota/Lexus/Scion today. Replacing the radiator in my 2006 Lexus RX400h hybrid. Now wondering if it is the correct formulation. I looked at the safety data sheet and didn't see any info on the actual formulation.

Did you buy "Super Tech Asian Vehicles (Red)" or "Super Tech OE Red"?

The original post in this thread was about "Super Tech Asian Vehicles (Red)", but it looks like Walmart changed suppliers since then.

The first was Prestone with 2-EHA, and interestingly doesn't claim to meet JIS K 2234, the Japanese standard for coolant.

The "Super Tech OE Red" is KOST (Recochem), likely the same as their "OEM" brand, which does meet JIS K 2234 and reportedly is 2-EHA free.

I'm not a fan of Prestone, but would use the KOST without hesitation.

Did you buy "Super Tech Asian Vehicles (Red)" or "Super Tech OE Red"?

The original post in this thread was about "Super Tech Asian Vehicles (Red)", but it looks like Walmart changed suppliers since then.

The first was Prestone with 2-EHA, and interestingly doesn't claim to meet JIS K 2234, the Japanese standard for coolant.

The "Super Tech OE Red" is KOST (Recochem), likely the same as their "OEM" brand, which does meet JIS K 2234 and reportedly is 2-EHA free.

I'm not a fan of Prestone, but would use the KOST without hesitation.
It's the Super Tech Pre-Dilluted 50/50 Extended life Toyota/Lexus/Scion

It's the Super Tech Pre-Dilluted 50/50 Extended life Toyota/Lexus/Scion

They both have that same wording on the front unfortunately, you'll need to click the links in my post and look at the pictures.

The bottles are a different style, and the wording on the back is different as well.

Back