Hunt for chainsaw saga continues... - Got it down to 3 models

IMO it all depends on use case.

I own a few saws, one is a Makita (Dolmar) DCS5200i. All magnesium, very light and well made, none are made like that anymore, even the high end pro saws. My Jonsereds are a mix of plastic and metal. My Echo CS-3510 is mostly plastic. It has a 14" bar, and I use it for small trees, limbing, and helping my friend on his Christmas tree farm. It is perfect for that. It weighs ~8 lbs, and I can use it all day long with no issues, and it has a great power to weight ratio.
I know of some nice old early 1960's saws that are still running just fine. None of these new slow bio degrading plastic saws will ever last that long.
Gosh even the simple stuff like the fuel lines in the old ones are still just fine, those don't last for more than a year or so on some newer saws and other power tools.

Reactions: Arc
It runs like nothing I have ever used before. It leaves my cs-670 in the dust. It has a very flat torque / bucking curve that you can just lay into it and will just rip thru. The YouTube videos do nothing for me. It feels better than what the videos sound like.

Honestly I'm not into the new disposable tech but this was too good of a deal. The dealer had stated that the prior owner had it for just a brief period and quickly determined that needed a larger saw and they worked with him to make it happen. As a result they were able to register the serial to me and I got a full factory warranty thrown in. That is what really sealed the deal as I was and am still nervous with the auto tune mumbo jumbo. It is still on its first bar and based on the chain wear, its factory chain.

And on a side note I'm super bummed that when I demo'ed the saw I knew full well the chian was dull but was just interested in testing it, I ended up turning the paint tan on the bottom of the otherwise mint bar. Super ticked off. But they did throw in a brand new chain.....

I did do an cylinder and piston inspection and it is mint as well. No carbon on the top of the piston, and the port is a tan color. So I did not bother having them hook it up to the common service tool. I frankly do not care about the start stop cycles and run hours once I saw its condition visually.
0109230740~2.jpg
0109230741.jpg

Last edited:
I could not stand it any longer. Had to pull the muffler to see the visual condition of the piston and cylinder. Definately not false advertised. Looks like brand new and ring is not even fully seated in yet.

Sadly the pine fumes are already starting to stain the cylinder fins an dmake the saw look no longer new.
0111232046a_HDR.jpg
0111232048.jpg

Good choice on the 555. It's a solid powersaw.

Just to comment on the plastic saws...I have over 20 powersaws ranging from homeowner to pro. There is nothing wrong with a clamshell saw with a plastic chassis. Not everyone is a pro cutting six days a week. The Farm & Ranch offerings will work great for 95% of folks for many, many years.

@Fordiesel69 I highly recommend the Oregon EXL chains. I run them on my 372, my 455 Rancher and MS311/362. IMO, they are slightly better than the Stihl RS chains out of the box.

I could not stand it any longer. Had to pull the muffler to see the visual condition of the piston and cylinder. Definately not false advertised. Looks like brand new and ring is not even fully seated in yet.

Sadly the pine fumes are already starting to stain the cylinder fins an dmake the saw look no longer new. View attachment 135161View attachment 135162
I've never run a "FI" two stroke anything, but with near perfect A/F ratio all the time they must have quite a wide torque range, which is good for a chainsaw.

It is actually just an autotune carb. No EFI. And I promise i am not an echo red armor sales rep but I have yet to find an oil that keeps the exhaust side of the piston that clean and still have a film on it. It will never keep the port silver but then again what oil could?

It is quite mind blowing to operate actually. It is like operating a 50cc saw class with a supercharger. Only thing that I did not know about or I would have been more hesitant to purchase is the fact the stihl and husky use nylon caged crankshaft bearings to reduce friction. I am not a fan of this.

Glad you like the saw. Comparing one vs the other is quite the rabbit hole and in the end there are many good choices. I just got a new echo cs4910 and I’ve been enjoying it.

I know of some nice old early 1960's saws that are still running just fine. None of these new slow bio degrading plastic saws will ever last that long.
Gosh even the simple stuff like the fuel lines in the old ones are still just fine, those don't last for more than a year or so on some newer saws and other power tools.
While I own a plastic saw, I do like your mindset, but don’t let the obsolete parts get you.

My neighbor growing up who was like my grandfather bought a West Germany made Stihl S10 new. He owned ~300 acres probably half of so of that is wooded and heated strictly with wood. He even hauled his wood sled with a 2 horse team of Belgian horses.

Something with the ignition went out in 1980 and then later in 2010, but couldn’t find any parts and thus totaling out the saw. He wished he bought more parts back in 1980. I think the exhaust rusted through in 1996 or so. I remember him getting it welded up at a shop. I would have been 4 or so.

The saw ended up at a cousins house with the intent to fix it. He passed in 2015 and last i knew the saw was still there. Even non running, I wish I had it to hang on my garage wall. I’ll have to ask his son about it next time I see him.

While I own a plastic saw, I do like your mindset, but don’t let the obsolete parts get you.

My neighbor growing up who was like my grandfather bought a West Germany made Stihl S10 new. He owned ~300 acres probably half of so of that is wooded and heated strictly with wood. He even hauled his wood sled with a 2 horse team of Belgian horses.

Something with the ignition went out in 1980 and then later in 2010, but couldn’t find any parts and thus totaling out the saw. He wished he bought more parts back in 1980. I think the exhaust rusted through in 1996 or so. I remember him getting it welded up at a shop. I would have been 4 or so.

The saw ended up at a cousins house with the intent to fix it. He passed in 2015 and last i knew the saw was still there. Even non running, I wish I had it to hang on my garage wall. I’ll have to ask his son about it next time I see him.
+1

I've worked on many saws where the parts availability only consists of what you can find on ebay, or in some cases are dealer-only unobtanium and cost more than a new saw.

I’m going to sound like a saw snob, but if it isnt a commecial grade Jonsered/Husky or even a Stihl, I wont buy it. 71cc minimum for me. So, I’d still buy that baby Husky.
Yep, a Husky XP 390 in on my bucket list. Anything I buy from now on must have a 3/8 drive so I don't have to mix and match bars and chains.

Yep, a Husky XP 390 in on my bucket list. Anything I buy from now on must have a 3/8 drive so I don't have to mix and match bars and chains.
Its a great saw. Nothing like having plenty of power. Actually saves wear and tear on my back as it cuts faster. Better than grinding with a smaller saw on a large log.

It's nice to have the option of running a 20 inch bar or anything up to 36. I run a 20 and 32.

I really need a smaller saw from limbing. The cs 450 is more than i need for that. Some thing lighter i think.

Its a great saw. Nothing like having plenty of power. Actually saves wear and tear on my back as it cuts faster. Better than grinding with a smaller saw on a large log.

It's nice to have the option of running a 20 inch bar or anything up to 36. I run a 20 and 32.

I really need a smaller saw from limbing. The cs 450 is more than i need for that. Some thing lighter i think.
3 years ago I bought my daughter a 543 XP for her birthday, the next year a snowblower and last year a pressure washer washer.
Every year, it's something with an engine.

The 555 is a 3/8 drive www.husqvarna.com

Last edited:

I've been happy with my Echo CS-3510. Lightest saw in that 35cc class at 8.2 lbs. I have a 16" bar on mine with a full-chisel chain and a muffler mod done to it. Great power to weight ratio, starts second pull cold, and uses almost no fuel.

Back