HTC One X Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently received HTC's new flagship device, the One X, as my work phone. While I like the wide selection available with Android devices, for the most part I don't care for the user experience with most of them. I do like the pure Google experience from phones such as the Nexus series but the custom skins and user interfaces from other manufactures turn me off.

With all that being said I believe Android 4.0 is hands down the best thing to happen with these phones. I must say I absolutely love the One X... dare I say more than my iPhone 4S?

photo13.jpg

The design for the One X is perfect. Unibody construction and perfect placements of curves and thinness make this phone extremely comfortable to hold and not uncomfortable in the least.

photo51.jpg

photo33.jpg

photo31.jpg

photo21.jpg

The display is probably the nicest feature on the One X. I have always been a big fan of HTC's Super LCD displays and this new 1280x720 doesn't disappoint. The colors are natural, the viewing angles are incredible. The screen really pops. Even when comparing this to the new Galaxy SIII display, you'll notice how good it is and how Super Amoled is starting to show it's age.

photo52.jpg

photo53.jpg

photo11.jpg

This is a pretty big phone, with a screen size of 4.7". This phone (just like the SIII) is designed so well that it doesn't feel that huge. It's still very comfortable in your pocket and you can still do everything with one hand (unlike the Galaxy Note).
photo42.jpg

photo22.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo32.jpg

The software is where the phone actually shines. This phone just screams. It's incredibly fast. I have seen plenty of Android devices that benchmark high and "destroy" iPhones with numbers but even still they always felt clunky. Stuttering between home screens, force closes, apps that will either freeze or delay far too long between your responses... the list really goes on. This is not the case with the One X. This phone truly is faster both on paper and with real world usage than the iPhone 4S. There is absolutely no delay for anything you throw at this phone. Everything just works (like it should have for quite some time now). iPhone still handles applications better just because I feel developing on iOS (and the limited devices that carry iOS) is easier and overall just better.

Network speeds have been pretty great for me so far. Keep in mind the Philadelphia market is still lacking any sort of LTE from at&t so I am stuck with 3G and HSPA+. But even with that being said I am hitting anywhere from 5-8mbps down and about 2mbps up. Completely sufficient for me. This is a random speed test showing an average run.
2012-07-14_16-57-58.png

When it comes to the camera it's good but just not 4S good. The 4S is what, 9 months old now? And no one has a better camera than it yet. The good thing about the HTC's camera though is the software. Shots snap fast, everything is simple and right in your face, and there is no transition between camera to video camera. Also on the One X you can do shutter blast where it will take something like 30 pics every second and you can choose which ones you would like to keep. This is a feature with the Video Camera too. Not the best looking shots doing it this way but a good feature that comes in handy.

Here's a picture using the One X:
IMAG0020.jpg

Above average image quality, below average color processing in my opinion. But hey it could be a lot worse.

Battery life smokes my 4S, which isn't saying much... the 4S battery leaves something to be desired to say the least. I am getting in just about 2 full days with the One X. For a phone this powerful I find that to be very impressive. I don't stream video or music much at all, but I do web browse make calls, take video and pictures quite a bit.

Wrap up:
So that about covers my thoughts on the phone. It's a gorgeous device and just delivers on just about everything. I had the option to use the Galaxy SIII instead but after just a few minutes using both it was a no brainer to go with the HTC. They are both powerhouses, but I prefer HTC's display and design much more than the Samsung.

If I could only use the 4S or One X at this moment it would be a hard decision as to which one I'd pick.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great phone if one doesn't mind the size. For me, anything above 4" screen is a no-go, hence I am looking at HTC Droid Incredible 4g as my next phone. Now if only Verizon would release a software update for it to support GSM as well...

I am not a fan of big phones. When the 4.3" phones launched I found them all to be too big. Using those older phones now I feel the same way. Design just got better. A 4.3" HTC Inspire or Thunderbolt feels larger than the One X.

Besides the silly long name, the Incredible 4G is a great phone. Kudos to HTC to release a phone with such beefy specs and keep the screen size at 4". Some people just don't want the big screen.

If the One X was an option on Verizon, I would probably have one. Instead I used my last upgrade to get a Galaxy S3. It is not only my first Android phone, but a huuuge step up in size from my last phone. While I appreciate the size for in-car use (GPS, streaming audio), my small hands can't really operate it one handed without fear of dropping it. Still deciding if I want to swap it for a Droid Incredible LTE, but I also don't want to go too small.

Might just keep it and I can sell it down the road if I get sick of it and buy whatever the latest cutting edge phone is.

HTC's Android experience is, in my opinion, the best there is. I've dealt with a few Motorola flavors of Droid and they are horrible. I was very happy with my old HTC Incredible 2.

Besides a stock Google experience, I would agree. But I don't feel the same with 4.0. Both HTC's Sense and Samsung's Touchwiz work well but if anything I feel they pull away some features Google implemented in 4.0. Especially HTC.

I have an Acer tablet with pretty much stock Android 4.0. It's okay. I prefer the HTC Sense on my old phone, honestly. Stock Android 4.0 doesn't have the same polish to me. But some people like it that way, too.

Is the tablet 4.0 or honeycomb? I was not a fan of any of the honeycomb tablets. Yuck! But the Nexus 7 looks promising.

It came with 3.2, but was upgraded to 4.0 via an "over the air" update by Acer. Some aspects were improved, like battery life and Wi-Fi reception, but I actually liked the Honeycomb's UI a little better. Ice Cream Sandwich looks a little unrefined to me.

How about the phone part of the phone? Reception, audio quality? Is radio as good as Motorola or Nokia? My past experience with Samsungs was not good in that department. Never had an HTC though.

1280x720 ? Wow! My work desktop is set at 1280x1024 and if the phone displays start getting better, I could VNC in to my work from the phone! (Don't tell me that my eyes will not be able to ready anything :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
1280x720 ? Wow! My work desktop is set at 1280x1024 and if the phone displays start getting better, I could VNC in to my work from the phone! (Don't tell me that my eyes will not be able to ready anything :)

Funny you should mention it. TeamViewer has an Android app which I sometimes use on my old Droid 2 to remote into some of my home PCs. It works OK.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
How about the phone part of the phone? Reception, audio quality? Is radio as good as Motorola or Nokia? My past experience with Samsungs was not good in that department. Never had an HTC though.

Thanks for reminding me. Call quality is very good and people sound clean and clear on my end. The speaker phone on the other hand is disappointing. Sound is thin, and doesn't carry that well. It can get pretty loud though. Call quality doesn't match something like a new Blackberry Bold but I'd say its above average.

Reception is a pleasent surprise for the most part. I never found HTCs as of late having the best antenna but the One X really delivers. Definitely better than the Samsung phones out now and on par with current Motorola phones and right in line with the 4S.

Nokia still seems to do reception better and Blackberry still does it the best in my opinion.

Thanks for the review. I've had an HTC Amaze and now have a Galaxy Nexus and I really miss the HTC Sense. I actually preferred it over stock Android, tut I didn't care for all the bloatware on the Amaze. But I just got the Jelly Bean 4.1 update on my Nexus and wow, it is as if I upgraded to quadcore because it is so much faster now. No lag whatsoever even on the outdated hardware. I can't believe Google has dropped the price of the unlocked Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean to $349. I don't think I can justify an HTC One X over that for my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back