HPL for the ol' Silverado.....

I'm on my 4th OCI of HPL in my truck. First I ran 2 OCI's with HPL Super Car in my 2018 Silverado. Now I'm on my 2nd OCI of HPL No VII.

My HPL supply is now depleted, so it was time to re-up. I'll keep the No VII run going, and then I'll likely run the 2 cases of Super Car next.

Y'all think I should just consistently run one or the other (No VII or Super Car)? It's there any benefit from switching it up some?

Attachments

• PXL_20230813_154451152.jpg
    PXL_20230813_154451152.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 71
Thats alot of scratch. I would have planned UOAs along side the oil budget to know the facts.

Here is a spitball answer: Your 6.0 however will last through the next apocalypse with off the shelf oil, and probably a 2nd apocalypse with such good oil.

Thats alot of scratch. I would have planned UOAs along side the oil budget to know the facts.

Here is a spitball answer: Your 6.0 however will last through the next apocalypse with off the shelf oil, and probably a 2nd apocalypse with such good oil.
I agree with this. To the OP's question of switching back and forth, I can't answer that (though I prefer keeping it consistent myself to keep the chemistry the same between the residual oil left in the engine and the new oil during an oil change).

What are the change intervals for this truck?

It's a 6.0, well a more modern l96 with variable valve timing but no gdi or afm. I use cheap 15w-40 in my lq4 and take it to 10k and it's got 336k with all original metal inside. Still runs just as quiet, smooth, and as strong as it did when i drove it off the lot in 05. Won't hurt anything to switch, just wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with this. To the OP's question of switching back and forth, I can't answer that (though I prefer keeping it consistent myself to keep the chemistry the same between the residual oil left in the engine and the new oil during an oil change).

What are the change intervals for this truck?
I run 5-6k mile intervals.

At those intervals, why not save some coin and run Mobil 1/Castrol Edge/Pennzoil Platinum/etc?

HPL's is a great oil. One of it's main advantages is that it's Ester and AN really clean out the internals of your engine.

If I were someone like Jay Leno, with a garage full of exotic cars that I really cared about, I would only use HPL oils in them.

But for the masses, Quaker State is an excellent name brand oil at a very low price.

Quaker State Prices on Walmart for the 5 quart jug are:

High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30: $18.82.
Full Synthetic Ultimate Protection (marketed as a 20,000 mile oil): 5W-30: Frequently goes on sale for $21.62.
Full Synthetic Euro ACEA A3/B4 5W-40: $22.97

i also just bought HPL for my 6.0 LQ4 and am planning on 10k OCI’s. don’t let anyone shy you away from running HPL, chevy built a good motor in the 6.0 regardless of the generation (LY6 vs LQ4). however Dave assured me that even their lowest level PCEO was more than enough for a 6.0. just roll with the no VII or drop down to the pceo 5w-40. super car really is a waste at those OCI’s.

The thread-starter asked for help in deciding which HPL to run.
The thread-starter did not ask what Mobil-1, Castrol, Pennzoil or Quaker State oil to run.

Run any & all HPL oils you have remaining. Don't buy more unless a nice sale occurs, or you depleted your entire supply. Hold-out until the last minute..... then reorder HPL.

By that time a few new formulas may arrive and you won't have any regrets on buying the older formulas.
Shipping is fast ( so I hear). It was with my Amsoil order. Perfectly sealed, unamed box arrived on my porch in three days.

Last edited:
Back