HPL EC treatment started. 2007 Camry 2AZ-FE 153k consumption.

Has anyone tried hot shot secret stiction elimination for the same purpose before?
Ive never used it but I looked into a lot of things, this being one. Folks speculate there is some ester in it, but we have nothing to confirm this either way.

There is a VOA of the stuff on the site from years ago which basically shows virtually no additive package in it. Again the belief by some is it contains ester but I've yet to find anything which even suggested a moderately decent oxidation level.

All I know for certain is it has virtually no additive package in the oil.

Update #2

October 30, 2023. 153,718 miles. 598.9 miles into OCI1. 386 miles since last top off. ~0.8 quarts added. ~1.6 quarts total burned.

Nothing spectacular to report. I took her on a ~250+ mile round trip this past weekend that consisted primarily of 55mph backroads. After 386 miles and accounting for the overfill from last time, she burned ~1 quart. For reference, last time she burned about 0.6 quarts over 213 miles, so I'm not sure if there is really a difference between short town trips and highway-ish driving. I managed to fill it pretty much right to the top dot this time. Given her consumption rate, my initial estimate might have been wrong since she is about 1 quart per 400 miles into this OCI. Either way it doesn't look like the PCV valve that I replaced last time had any impact (which I should be able to confirm next top-off since I don't have any more long trips planned for a while). The oil appears noticeably darker this time, so hopefully the HPL EC is starting to work. I used the M1HM 5W-30/HPL EC mix to top her off so the initial ratio should remain the same.

PXL_20231030_143836939.jpg

PXL_20231030_150414772.jpg

On a related note, I was cleaning around the valve cover in regards to another post I made (here) about possibly needing to change the gasket. I bumped one of the nuts holding it down (the cover has both bolts and studs with nuts) and it spun loose. I went around the entire thing with a torque wrench and tightened everything down to 70 inch-pounds, with each bolt/nut needing a little tightening, although only the one nut was loose enough to spin freely. Now that it is clean(ish) I should be able to see if it is seeping or leaking anywhere, at least in the forward facing section.

Update #3

November 11, 2023. 154,004 miles. 885.2 miles into OCI1. 286 miles since last top off. ~1.0 quarts added. ~2.6 quarts total burned.
Burn rate since last top-off: 286 miles/quart.
Cumulative OCI burn rate: 340.4 miles/quart.

I decided it was a good idea to calculate the burn rate between each time I top-off to see if driving habits make a difference. The first top-off consisted of normal driving and had a burn rate of 1 quart per 266.3 miles. The second top-off had 250+ miles of sustained highway driving and had a burn rate of 1 quart per 482.5 miles, so there definitely seems to be a difference in short town trips and highway driving, which is good, I guess? I suppose it shows that the car isn't just indiscriminately burning oil and that a leaky valve cover gasket or something would contribute regardless, which isn't the case. This last top-off was back to normal driving and had a burn rate of 1 quart per 286 miles. So... slight improvement, but statistically negligible.

M1HM 5W-30/HPL EC mix was added back in, so the experiment continues. I am intentionally trying to put as many miles on her as I can, even if that means taking her for a short trip to the 7-11 instead of my Civic.

PXL_20231111_202556400.jpg

PXL_20231111_203039627.jpg

I had somewhere to get to, so I didn't have a ton of time to let all of the oil get back down into the pan, but it should be right at the top dot when it settles.

This is quite a lot of burn. You could quadruple the distance and it would still be problematic. It might be time to dig into the engine, unfortunately.

Yeah... it certainly isn't good. But I bought the HPL EC so I am going to run that through first. If there isn't any difference to be seen at all by the time I hit 3,000 miles in this OCI I might throw a can of BG EPR into it before changing the oil or I might save that for after a second OCI with the HPL EC just to give it a fair shake. Then down the line maybe a B12 soak. Pretty much anything but physically replacing the rings. Then worst case I will just start buying cheaper oil and keeping her topped off until she dies. Still love having a Toyota that I can DIY and car prices are still stupid high.

Yeah... it certainly isn't good. But I bought the HPL EC so I am going to run that through first. If there isn't any difference to be seen at all by the time I hit 3,000 miles in this OCI I might throw a can of BG EPR into it before changing the oil or I might save that for after a second OCI with the HPL EC just to give it a fair shake. Then down the line maybe a B12 soak. Pretty much anything but physically replacing the rings. Then worst case I will just start buying cheaper oil and keeping her topped off until she dies. Still love having a Toyota that I can DIY and car prices are still stupid high.
Something not talked about much here anymore is kreen. It seemed to do well as a follow up to ester/AN based cleaners. I dunno if the ester softens up the deposits/sludge and the kreen removes softer deposits well or what but I had suspected that before by reading some others post.

Update #2

October 30, 2023. 153,718 miles. 598.9 miles into OCI1. 386 miles since last top off. ~0.8 quarts added. ~1.6 quarts total burned.

Nothing spectacular to report. I took her on a ~250+ mile round trip this past weekend that consisted primarily of 55mph backroads. After 386 miles and accounting for the overfill from last time, she burned ~1 quart. For reference, last time she burned about 0.6 quarts over 213 miles, so I'm not sure if there is really a difference between short town trips and highway-ish driving. I managed to fill it pretty much right to the top dot this time. Given her consumption rate, my initial estimate might have been wrong since she is about 1 quart per 400 miles into this OCI. Either way it doesn't look like the PCV valve that I replaced last time had any impact (which I should be able to confirm next top-off since I don't have any more long trips planned for a while). The oil appears noticeably darker this time, so hopefully the HPL EC is starting to work. I used the M1HM 5W-30/HPL EC mix to top her off so the initial ratio should remain the same.

View attachment 185930

View attachment 185931

On a related note, I was cleaning around the valve cover in regards to another post I made (here) about possibly needing to change the gasket. I bumped one of the nuts holding it down (the cover has both bolts and studs with nuts) and it spun loose. I went around the entire thing with a torque wrench and tightened everything down to 70 inch-pounds, with each bolt/nut needing a little tightening, although only the one nut was loose enough to spin freely. Now that it is clean(ish) I should be able to see if it is seeping or leaking anywhere, at least in the forward facing section.
I did two BG EPR treatments about 300 miles apart in my sister's yaris.
It reduced her oil burning 95%.....
It's some strong stuff.
High idle for 20mins on a hot engine.

I did two BG EPR treatments about 300 miles apart in my sister's yaris.
It reduced her oil burning 95%.....
It's some strong stuff.
High idle for 20mins on a hot engine.

Year and Mileage of her vehicle?

I've used BG EPR on my former 270K mile 1994 Honda Accord that has a long history of 3000 mile oil changes with great success that bring consumption down to half a quart per 5000 miles when it consumed nearly a quart at 5k. And it help partially bring down my brother's 2010 270K+mile Prius oil consumption rate down (2 quarts per 1000 miles down to 1 quart per 1000 miles) but still consumed a quantity of oil due to lack of time to service and replace the PCV valve.

I recently use it on my 2012 Yaris 136K miles on the recent oil change a month ago (no oil consumption issues yet). Has made the vehicle feel more punchier on the accelerator. Engine idle and acceleration harmonics signature was a night and day difference, the engine doesn't roar as loud as before when going 80+ MPH on the highway.

I've used BG EPR on my former 270K mile 1994 Honda Accord that has a long history of 3000 mile oil changes with great success that bring consumption down to half a quart per 5000 miles when it consumed nearly a quart at 5k. And it help partially bring down my brother's 2010 270K+mile Prius oil consumption rate down (2 quarts per 1000 miles down to 1 quart per 1000 miles) but still consumed a quantity of oil due to lack of time to service and replace the PCV valve.

I recently use it on my 2012 Yaris 136K miles on the recent oil change a month ago (no oil consumption issues yet). Has made the vehicle feel more punchier on the accelerator. Engine idle and acceleration harmonics signature was a night and day difference, the engine doesn't roar as loud as before when going 80+ MPH on the highway.
06 yaris with over 250k kms.
BG EPR is some really great stuff for cleaning ring packs and internals.

Update #4

December 2, 2023. 154,351 miles. 1232 miles into OCI1. 347 miles since last top off. ~1.0 quarts added. ~3.6 quarts total burned.
Burn rate history: 266.3 miles/quart, 482.5 miles/quart (250+miles highway), 286 miles/quart.
Burn rate since last top-off: 347 miles/quart (110miles highway).
Cumulative OCI burn rate: 342.2 miles/quart.

Simple update. I put 110 highway miles on her this time which lessened the consumption rate. She burned a quart over 347 miles, which seems in line with the previous rates without the highway trip. Less than 1800 miles until I change the oil and I am definitely planning on hitting it with BG EPR at the end if there isn't a measurable difference in consumption. I figure after that I will have a decent idea as to whether the issue is due to stuck rings or low tension that chemicals will never help fix. The oil at the bottom of the dipstick looks pretty darn dark.

PXL_20231202_170034137.jpg

PXL_20231202_170228614.jpg

Update #4

December 2, 2023. 154,351 miles. 1232 miles into OCI1. 347 miles since last top off. ~1.0 quarts added. ~3.6 quarts total burned.
Burn rate history: 266.3 miles/quart, 482.5 miles/quart (250+miles highway), 286 miles/quart.

Simple update. I put 110 highway miles on her this time which lessened the consumption rate. She burned a quart over 347 miles, which seems in line with the previous rates without the highway trip. Less than 1800 miles until I change the oil and I am definitely planning on hitting it with BG EPR at the end if there isn't a measurable difference in consumption. I figure after that I will have a decent idea as to whether the issue is due to stuck rings or low tension that chemicals will never help fix. The oil at the bottom of the dipstick looks pretty darn dark.

View attachment 191240

View attachment 191241
thanks for the update

Did you use it as a piston soak or as a flush just putting it in the oil?

Update #4

View attachment 191240

View attachment 191241
Even if the BG EPR dosent show signs of improvement I would definitely still try a piston soak with chemtool b12 or kreen. Then yeah maybe time to make a decision about tearing in or just driving it as is until it’s done.

I'd be willing to bet that if you looked at it from a "quarts lost per hour of engine runtime," you might find the reason you burn less quarts/mile at highway speeds. Another even more granular way is to look at it as "gallons of gas consumed per quart lost."

Update #4

View attachment 191240

View attachment 191241
Oil can't fix bad engineering.

Update #4

View attachment 191240

View attachment 191241
Let the EPR idle in the engine for 20-30 Mins.
If this long don't raise the idle.
Fingers crossed for you.
Those must be some really stuck up rings.

Also it took 2 treatments with BG, a few hundred miles apart, for me to see a big drop in consumption.

Back