How's your CVT holding up?

short ride, 20 minutes total. ambient temp 40 degrees. Mostly high speed. Obvious trans issues. Bucking during acceleration, finally loss of low gear and reverse. What a bummer, 58k, car is garage and well kept. Will keep you posted.

The reason why I asked about ambient temperature was I have noticed my car with the CVT runs quite rough when it gets cooler... Less than 55 degrees Fahrenheit... The Eneos CVT fluid did help quite a bit last year with that. And sure enough... This past Sept my car started doing the same thing again. Did a recent drain and refill on Saturday with Eneos CVT fluid again just a couple of days ago. A good amount better now. Yesterday I did a test... I let the car totally warm up before I left my place. Temps in the upper 40s. That helped a whole whole lot actually. So between the drain and refill and allowing the car to get warmed up good... That has made a big big difference in how my car does when it's cooler out. That will be my routine going forward.

Before I would just start and roll. . But noticing how rough the car was running had me thinking. Once warmed up that phenomena was a whole lot better. My car still pulls great once warmed up... No issues at all going up to 6k rpm... Does fantastic.

She's just not liking the cold more and more as time as gone on. With 323,000+ miles the car really does extremely well. Just got to let the ol girl warm up.

I read on here that the CVTs have a warmer for the fluid... Makes total sense to me now given my observations these past 2 years. Cooler temps is where I notice rough running and vibration at speeds between 15-35 mph. I can is the manual mode and shift the car myself which actually does help quite a bit. It's in. 5th great at 25 mph which is part of the problem... And in 6th gear at 35 mph... Dropping just one gear helps a fair amount. Dropping 2 gears and it's just about normal. I learned on a manual transmission... And at 25 mph I usually was in 3rd gear and sometimes 2nd gear.. Certainly not 5th...

Whatever works for you is good. A lot of what I’ve been reading refers to CVT’s running too hot, regardless of ambient temps, due to inadequate cooling. I’m no expert. Initial call from Nissan indicates I just made it under the wire for warranty coverage. I wonder if they go by model year or first registration date for start of warranty.

Whatever works for you is good. A lot of what I’ve been reading refers to CVT’s running too hot, regardless of ambient temps, due to inadequate cooling. I’m no expert. Initial call from Nissan indicates I just made it under the wire for warranty coverage. I wonder if they go by model year or first registration date for start of warranty.

Good to the hear the Sentra CVT replacement is covered. The Sentra is a 2015? As far as I know the warranty starts on the registration date. If you can, keep us updated on how it goes.

Just traded in a 2011 subaru outback with 170k on it. Did a drain and refill around 110k with valvoline CVT. Would have done another this year if we didn't trade it in. No issues at all with the CVT.

I have read a whole, whole lot as well....

Cooling has been trouble at times too. No doubt in that...

Wonder what the deterioration number is on that car ???

210,000+ is the condemnation number typically in Nissan CVT transmissions...

However I have noticed the issue at cooler temps as well... Which is possible why the CVT has a warmer for the trans fluid.... And that make sense to me.

95 percent plus of my miles have been open highway driving. Which obviously keeps the trans cooler which is very helpful.

Good to the hear the Sentra CVT replacement is covered. The Sentra is a 2015? As far as I know the warranty starts on the registration date. If you can, keep us updated on how it goes.
It’s a 2013. Will keep you posted. Model year 2003-2010 has been extended to 10years/120,000. I think mine has the 84 month/84000 mile extended. If so I made it by the skin of my teeth. I swear gonna go back to a manual.

Reactions: JTK
Should be the date of first registration (original in-service date).

Agreed. So this car had to have been registered in Nov/Dec of 2013 or later to have made the 84 month cut off? I reported the problem yesterday Nov 2. Is my math correct?
Correct. Nissan's system will show the date of the vehicle's first sale, and that is the date used for warranty calculation.

Update. Car was indeed a 2013 left over. First registered in Jan. 2014. Warranty clock started then. Which means there are 2 months left on the extended 84 month warranty. Honey!! Did you hear that??💃🕺.Stay tuned.
The worst part of this is having my wife drive my 2012 Versa while we’re down to one car. I’ve had that car for 9 years without a hiccup and now I have to listen to her come home and tell me ‘the transmission is falling out of the car, it sounds terrible. The rpms are all over the place.” I cringe when I think of what she’s putting that car thru. I pray that Nissan gets her Sentra back before she blows up my Versa😢

Reactions: JTK
The worst part of this is having my wife drive my 2012 Versa while we’re down to one car. I’ve had that car for 9 years without a hiccup and now I have to listen to her come home and tell me ‘the transmission is falling out of the car, it sounds terrible. The rpms are all over the place.” I cringe when I think of what she’s putting that car thru. I pray that Nissan gets her Sentra back before she blows up my Versa😢

I hear that. My wife is never steady on the go pedal so the transmission is never at rest. She never drives fast so it's always lugging. She didn't blow up our 2016 Nissan Quest's CVT, but we only owned it from 30K to 70K miles. Replaced it with the 2019 Pathfinder w/ CVT. Bought it with 24K, currently has about 39K. I did a lot of CVT fluid changing between the two with genuine NS-3, but I still don't think fluid changes solves the problems with them. I do it because I want to know it wasn't lack of fluid maintenance that caused issues.

I mean literally she’s had to drive the Versa a grand total of 30 minutes in the last two days. I have had it since Sept of 2011, 76k miles and it’s always pulled like a mule and since its recent drain and fills it accelerates smoothly. Not fancy, just dependable, until..

I mean literally she’s had to drive the Versa a grand total of 30 minutes in the last two days. I have had it since Sept of 2011, 76k miles and it’s always pulled like a mule and since its recent drain and fills it accelerates smoothly. Not fancy, just dependable, until..

Nissan just called. They’re replacing the CVT. Will be ready Monday or Tuesday. Made the 84 month warranty by 8 weeks. 58k on the original. WAY too much drama for me. Will keep you posted.

Nissan just called. They’re replacing the CVT. Will be ready Monday or Tuesday. Made the 84 month warranty by 8 weeks. 58k on the original. WAY too much drama for me. Will keep you posted.

Very, very, very good...

I remember busting my parents JBL speakers... They weren't happy... Was in warranty with 4 weeks remaining. . Thank goodness. Though the guy who came in to replace them said they really should not have broken.

Thanks. But like your JBL’s this shouldn’t have broken either. 58k on a trans of any kind is pretty bad. The only reason this was covered was due to a class action suit. That shouldn’t have to happen.

Back