CVT Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the search function but found only one partial discussion of CVTs. I'm interested because in the not too distant future I can see me and my bride downsizing from our GMC Sierra and getting something smaller with better gas mileage. A lot of our choices would be equipped with CVTs. I've spent the past week reading articles, and watching videos, on how they work. I am a little apprehensive at this time about getting one.

In my research the Jatco CVT in Nissan vehicles seemed to have some major issues. I'm not picking on Nissans. We own one now, although a RWD Frontier, with absolutely no problems. Other manufacturers may have issues as well. I was surprised at the number of failures with these CVTs. Owners lucky enough to be under warranty got them repalced, sometimes more than once after the replacement unit failed as well. Again, not bashing here. I'd just like some opinions on CVT transmissions. Specifically, why so many failures. I can't seem to find a consensus as to why. I've read many guesses, ie. Poor maintenance, heat, improper fluid etc... Maybe I just haven't found the right article or video yet to help explain it to me.

Hoping to hear from some CVT owners on BITOG with their experiences, good and bad. Not really looking for arguments on CVTs vs other transmissions. If you had problems, were you able to fix them? If so, how? Lastly, how many miles do you currently have on your CVT, or the one you might have had and got rid of?

Mine is still going strong, but I'm not happy about the efficiency. It has a good overdrive for low rpm highway operation, but you have constant belt friction and fluid windage. In 3 speed AT of yore, top gear would be straight through the case with locked shaft with no gear loss - planetaries along for the ride with no reduction.

Other issue on the Nissan, starting off isn't geared low enough, it feels like your starting off in 2nd.

I had my fluid changed at 34K. they reprogrammed the unit, but I like the factory prog better - its too eager to "trombone up to 4000 rpm with just 1/4 throttle wheras before it would lock the converter and stay down around 1200 - 2500 rpm at typical surface road speeds (30-50).

Wifes Subaru is mucho better than the Nissan but still whiney.

Me, for my next car I would look for Doppelkupplungs or a traditional multi gear or a MT.

Our 18 Honda CR-V has been great. With the ECON turned off the drive is a little better. Fuel economy is still great. Hopefully it stays this way.

I had a 2014 chevy spark with a cvt started acting up slipping every once in awhile the car had around 60k, my wife did the right thing and traded the car in and leased a corolla. Corolla also has a cvt but this time we leased a cvt car.

Cvt transmissions feel like go-karts in low powered economy cars and very sluggish. I drove a friends v6 maxima with the cvt and it was great car had plenty of power and didn't feel any issues as noted in underpowered 4 bangers with cvt.

My lease is coming up on my 2016 scion and want to purchase my next car but afraid to marry a cvt..I just may go with a manual if available.

I work for Enterprise car rental and all the Nissan cars we have have cvt. I haven't heard of any failures from my branch. Granted all of these vehicles generally have 50k or less. I really like the Altimas with the cvt. The Sentra has a strong take off but really sucks in power once your moving. The Nissan's used to hold max rpm when floored which I liked but now they do this weird fake shifting after the software update. Anyway people hammer on the cars pretty good so the cvt can't be too bad I suppose.

Sierra to something with a CVT, big change in vehicle size, no? Not saying it's bad, just a bit surprised at what might be a big change. Might you plan to tow, or otherwise use the new car heavily? Planning on going new or used? New, I have to think the bugs are out by now. Used, err, I think there's some units that might be best avoided. Finally, miles per year? wondering if cost of fluid exchange is going to be eye opening or just trivial.

I have to believe these have to be getting cheap to rebuild. Or at least cheap on the used market (pulls from wrecks). Too many of them out there by now.

Otherwise, sorry, I'm of no help--I've yet to even drive one.

My father had the 2014 corolla with a cvt it felt more refined than my wife's 2017 corolla that has a newer software program. Her car is always surging with the slightest pedal movement. Toyota says it's fine they wanted drivers to have a more traditional transmission feel. Beats me but I never had an auto feel like that.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
My father had the 2014 corolla with a cvt it felt more refined than my wife's 2017 corolla that has a newer software program. Her car is always surging with the slightest pedal movement. Toyota says it's fine they wanted drivers to have a more traditional transmission feel. Beats me but I never had an auto feel like that.

Toyota's seem to have heavy tip-in, or at least the ones I've driven. Albeit I've never driven a CVT. Maybe they "fixed" the 2017 to have the same throttle response.

I currently own a 2016 Nissan Quest. It's a big, heavy vehicle with the VQ35DE V6 engine and Jatco CVT (I forget the model). It's been problem free for us, but I'm only at 60K miles. It drives well and sees hard use. I bought it used with ~32K miles and have done 3 drain/fills on the CVT. I have no idea if that will help for longevity, but it can't hurt. The bonus on most Nissan CVTs is they are pretty easy to do fluid changes on.

I've also had two different Subarus with CVTs, A 2012 Legacy and a 2016 Forester. Both were great in many ways, but I didn't put more than ~50K miles on them before I traded them in on something else. I never did any servicing to the Subaru CVTs given the relative difficulty to do so on them.

In regards to failures, I haven't seen any data to support late model CVTs of any flavor are failing at a greater rate than late model conventional ATs. The dozen "failures" you see on Youtube are out of millions on the road.

When I was shopping for a new car, I went and talked to the owner of the repair shop I use to ask him what cars to stay away from. After all, he sees the good, the bad, and the ugly of everything. He said to stay away from anything with a CVT. They are seeing way too many failures between 50k and 100k miles.

YMMV.

I like the CVT in my 2013 Maxima, no issues, never even suggests a problem at 79K kilometres. Partial flush at 77K km.

Wife has 2017.5 Rogue and it's fine, slightly different feel to CVT, but she's very happy.

On one of the Maxima forums, there is a guy with about 300K miles on his 2009 Maxima, changes fluid every 50k miles, and says he never floors the accelerator from stop...don't know if this is better for CVT than any other drive train?

If you could go back in time, to when automatics were just entering the market, the transmission guys would all say the same thing that this new fangled technology is something to stay away from versus manuals. CVT is the new fear.

For all the new traditional shifting automatics, these are always shifting....when do you call them continuously variable?

All the Saturns (Vue's) with CVTs failed AFAIK ... Same vehicle with the V6 (Honda) and "normal" automatic have run out to over 200,000 in most cases. Ain't ever going to be a CVT in my driveway - ever
frown.gif

I must have gotten lucky. We have a 2006 Ford 500 with a CVT. It has a few miles short of 190,000 on it. Tranny fluid and filter has been changed twice by our local Ford dealer (which seems to be an anomaly about dealers since they have a rather good service dept.). We've had zero problems with the transmission. It took a little while to adjust to its lack of 'shifting' like my '92 Ford truck, but has otherwise been a gem.

. . . and around Atlanta traffic, it still manages 20mpg when the traffic is moving, and about 19 when everyone is parked on I-285 (and every other highway).

Good to hear HouseTiger. Ford had such bad luck with those FIVE HUNDREDs a pal (Ford dealership mechanic) told me they couldn't get the rebuilds in fast enough.
Didn't the FIVE HUNDRED last only 2 years for that reason?

Originally Posted By: Trav
CVT.

Was waiting for someone to echo the standard BITOG answer..........

CVTs have improved greatly and the horror stories are from years past. They are different though and require some getting used to.

One way to research would be to rent a car that has a cvt.

Just calling a spade a spade, because they foist this rubbish (and they are, just look inside one, a wet noodle is more durable) on us in the name of optimal fuel economy but the cash they get from credits is probably more than the warranty repairs doesn't make it right.

27.gif
49.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back