Just did my 1st CVT fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job. Seems you used some old fashioned ingenuity in getting the job accomplished without using a scanner or IR temp reader. As for CVT fluid, out of warranty I'd have no problem using Castrol or Valvoline CVT fluid. Castrol seems to be slightly favored here, though I've seen nothing to prove it's better than Valvoline. I think either a good option.

I do have one question, you say used 4 rhinos to raise the car level and keep it level. How did/does that work ie., is any special technique required for the rear wheels?

As for cap removal, or as I've read other places, "dummy plug on the charging tube". After some searching I found a youtube with a good explanation of the technique used to remove the cap on Nissans with no dipstick. I'll link it for future reference, 49 seconds is point in video for cap removal.

2013-2018 Altima CVT Fluid Change.

1)Thank you.

2)I first drove up on the 2 Rhino Ramps and then jacked up each of the rear and placed the other 2 beneath the rear tires. When my wife had her RX300, I could just drive up on all 4. Of course, I have a level driveway and with 4 ramps, the car is as level as it can possibly be.

3)As far as the dummy plug, I just used a narrow flathead screwdriver and pushed the tap, then pulled up on the plug. However, I must have broken the tab
shocked.gif
as I can now can just pull up on the plug. It holds itself in the dipstick tube with the O-rings that are on the plug so, no worries about the plug falling off.

Also, I am still under my factory drive train warranty(5/60) til OCT 2019. Then 2 year extended(7/100) til OCT 2021.

Since Nissan doesn't make their own CVT fluid, I am having no problem in my head & heart(thanks MolaKule) using the aftermarket CVT fluid. In my case, I bought 2 - 6qt cases(12qts) of Castrol Transmax CVT fluid on Amazon for ~ $90(w/o prime) shipped. This will cover both the Altima & Civic with extra for another change on 1 car..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac

As for cap removal, or as I've read other places, "dummy plug on the charging tube". After some searching I found a youtube with a good explanation of the technique used to remove the cap on Nissans with no dipstick. I'll link it for future reference, 49 seconds is point in video for cap removal.

2013-2018 Altima CVT Fluid Change.

That's pretty sweet that the Altima's tube and cap are right out in the open and easy to get your hands on. My Quest's is tucked in a bit more and the Versa's is buried.

Yeah, I've seen Youtube videos where the youtuber had to remove the air box an more just to get a funnel down to the tranny.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Yeah, I've seen Youtube videos where the youtuber had to remove the air box an more just to get a funnel down to the tranny.

I removed some skin from my forearms and hands too on the Versa.
mad.gif

Good thing is, from now on it should come right off as-is and I'll be able to snake a hose w/ funnel down into it.

Originally Posted by JTK
...That's pretty sweet that the Altima's tube and cap are right out in the open and easy to get your hands on. My Quest's is tucked in a bit more and the Versa's is buried.
Rogue is fairly accessible too. Though I've not seen it, read that Versa is royal pita.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Rogue is fairly accessible too. Though I've not seen it, read that Versa is royal pita.

Indeed it is. I've looked under the hood of my inlaw's 2019 Rogue SL. It's right out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back