How's this Linksys router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

QUOTE: "
However, the newegg offer seems expensive. Check the buy.com offering - it's $30 with Google checkout..."

i checked it out, I wonder what strings are attached to this google checkout? have you used it before? I mean, what's their gain?

No idea what Google is getting out of the deal, but I've used Google Checkout several times this holiday season without issue.

well....after considering a bit more, I've decided to get the WRT54GL, and not the 54G.
Although I'm not going to do anything with 3rd party firmware right now (don't feel that I really know enough to mess with it), I might do it in the future, so I think paying a bit more extra for the GL is not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:

The newest revisions of these Linksys routers have dumbed down hardware and reduced flash capability. While this won't affect operation using native firmware, it can pose some issues with third-party code and tweaking. I believe for the GS variant, anything R4 and later will have these limitations.

Actually it's R5 and above that have the limitation.

R1 through R4 for the G and GS models can use third party firmware.

I have a R2.2 WRT54G using the Thibor HyperWRT firmware and it is solid as a rock.

I got the WRT54GL version with the hope of future upgrades; and been using it for about a month with linksys firmware: flawless wireless signal to both laptops; easy setup, pretty stable so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back