How fast is your internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
A little slow today.. Google Fiber gig connection.

Does your router require liquid cooling? Wow.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I have heard google is putting the brakes on fiber and looking at wireless technology now.

Last edited:

Yeah, seriously, what kind of hardware is servicing this link?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, seriously, what kind of hardware is servicing this link?

Standard Google router/DVR combo.. doesn't even have a fan! Granted the most use the link see's is if we're running both TV's. I will say it's hard to travel anywhere and surf the web.

My observations have been that once you go beyond a certain speed (and, I don't know what that is, exactly) you really don't notice a difference anymore. When Frontier took over I was switched from 25/25 to 50/50 (even though I only get 50/30). I have noticed no difference, even when my son is on XBox Live and I am streaming Netflix while running multiple phones and a desktop computer. So, don't pay for more than you need!

Yes, competition is a good thing. I have seen this on customers with google fiber. I was in a home one time where the needle was buried at 1000 down in the Charlotte NC area.
Then of course at the time, TWC now Spectrum started increasing everyones speed up there (down and up) with no increase in price.
Only when competition arrives do they do this, I am hoping for our area soon, local Electric co-op is laying fiber, customers will pay $49. for 500/500 as they move into areas. I am sure at that time my TWC/Spectrum speeds will increase, but it will be to late for them as I will switch since they took advantage of me until the new company came along.

My observations have been that once you go beyond a certain speed (and, I don't know what that is, exactly) you really don't notice a difference anymore. When Frontier took over I was switched from 25/25 to 50/50 (even though I only get 50/30). I have noticed no difference, even when my son is on XBox Live and I am streaming Netflix while running multiple phones and a desktop computer. So, don't pay for more than you need!

You are correct, I agree 100%. In fact, if and when my electric co-op gets its fiber to my area its my hope I can pay less then $49. as I do not need 500/500. Ill be happy with less then 50/50, easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Im only saying this as IF and only if some people are looking to save money, if your network is working properly you can get by on WAY less then some of the speeds I am seeing posted here.

You are so right. All the speed in the world doesn't help you if the other site is overloaded and you're having to buffer data like mad, anyhow. You see my speed posted above on this page. When my speed was basically 1/4 of what it is now, on a lot of websites, I would notice very little difference. It is better for streaming, most of the time. But, to be perfectly honest, given my usage patterns, I really wonder sometimes why I bothered.

And your comments about rural areas (Canada, America, or Australia) are quite correct. SaskTel still offers dial up for a reason.
wink.gif

^^ yup!

Well, this was interesting. My company increased my download speed 300% and upload speed 100%. No change in price, $39.00. in fact didnt even tell me but has increased since my last post on this. I have no idea why the "link" was not working to post the image like I and others have done before. NOT BITOG but Ookla, page wont let me copy the links.

The change in speed might be because my electric company is laying fiber optic and our whole community and communities around us cant wait for it to get here, yet at $39 I might stay where I am vs my electric company who will offer 500/500 for $10 more, as I will not know the difference between the two.

Comporium Communications
Rock Hill, SC
Change Server
TWC (now Spectrum)

Ping
39 ms
Download
22.25 Mbps
Upload
2.43 Mbps

Last edited:
99% of you are FAR, FAR above me:
5.1 MB/s down
614 MB/s up
6mS Ping
Carrier ATTTTTTT
Cost: $54/mo.

I came off the last promo and my /mo rate went from $20 to $54!! Further they have the nerve to call 6 MB/s down "elite"
shocked2.gif
crazy2.gif

Despite repeated calls to CRD, the best I could get was $34/mo. Despite repeated requests to speak to a super/manager, I was denied and lied to. "They can't do any better than me". I finally had to SCREAM my way in to be elevated to a manager & threaten to go to a local TV station with my complaint. After calmly laying out my case, she promptly dropped me back to $20/mo for 'elite'. She also extended me other credits resulting in a $164 bill being turned into a $30 credit.

Wow, did my BP shoot up! ATT is predatory, deceptive, manipulative, practices outright fraud and will repeatedly LIE to its own 'customers'. I live in a very expensive neighborhood now, yet ATT has done nothing to 'upgrade' it's old copper, according to the helpful line-techs I speak with. No problems at all with the line-guys: They're great. The #$%^! idiots I have to deal with in sales/marketing/retention are just idiots. They used to be very helpful. No longer.

ATT can pound sand. They could care less in the office. I get the distinct impression that their management & marketing are horrid and that their 'office' employees are not treated well at all. My on-line account still shows 'services' that were yanked as of April 1. After looking at the most recent bill, they put this in mouse type on page 3/3 "oh, by the way......this service is being eliminated".

They constantly want to upsell me on U-verse...over the same poorly-maintained copper ADSL comes through. WHAAAAT? Further, as I posted earlier, they're doing away with U-verse.

ATT is NOTHING but a poorly-run, marketing-driven company who thinks nothing of taking advantage of its long-standing customers, out-right lying to them and denying them access to those with power to make better deals.

Absolutely pathetic. Power Corrupts. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back