Internet speed doubled. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Timing is everything. Very busy right now so the added speed is appreciated. I put Ubuntu on an newish IdeaPad since it was too slow for Windows 10. No change in speed according to Speed Test. Says 90 Mbps which is OK. Was the same with Windows 10. The HP laptop with the i5 is the one showing the doubling of speed which is my work horse.

It's likely the network card/adapters that are restricting those other devices. If you get it on any single device, the ISP has done their job. Make sure you're connecting to your router's 5g band too.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Far be it from me to say anything nice about Comcast, but they did just up my Internet speed from 75 to 100MBs at the same price.

Comcast did the same for us too, 60 to 100 without a price increase, then comcast came out with fiber for my area and now we're up to gigabit (very surprising - a lot of places closer to the city or even office buildings in the city don't even have fiber yet.) I don't remember who told me this, but somebody was saying how the big companies are trying to get rid of their copper lines, now that fiber is becoming increasingly cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pew
...then comcast came out with fiber for my area and now we're up to gigabit (very surprising - a lot of places closer to the city or even office buildings in the city don't even have fiber yet.) I don't remember who told me this, but somebody was saying how the big companies are trying to get rid of their copper lines, now that fiber is becoming increasingly cheaper.

Population density is a huge factor in where companies will build out their systems like this. At our old house, while it was an older, middle-class neighborhood, we were one of the first areas to get (at the time) Time Warner's Roadrunner internet, Ameritech DSL, and later, ATT Uverse. Why ? Because there were thousands of customers in a small area.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Timing is everything. Very busy right now so the added speed is appreciated. I put Ubuntu on an newish IdeaPad since it was too slow for Windows 10. No change in speed according to Speed Test. Says 90 Mbps which is OK. Was the same with Windows 10. The HP laptop with the i5 is the one showing the doubling of speed which is my work horse.

It's likely the network card/adapters that are restricting those other devices. If you get it on any single device, the ISP has done their job. Make sure you're connecting to your router's 5g band too.

I do not use Wifi even on laptops. I connect with cable. Your point is well taken regarding network card/adapters. HP got it right.

Well, the party was over yesterday. Wind storm took out power and Spectrum. Took them all day to get Spectrum fixed. Makes you realize how dependent we are on these devices. I had withdrawal. For me a cell phone does not cut it when surfing the web.

Spectrum here has been competing with google fiber, they up the speed from 100 to 200 then now to 400 without me having to do anything.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Wolf359
They always tend to increase the speed. I can't remember what speed I started out at, around 100 then it increased to around 200, now it's up to 300.

Hehe, I remember when Time Warner Roadrunner internet was 10 Mb/s, then 15 Mb/s. Can't remember what later increments were in between those speeds and 60 Mb/s, which we stayed on for a good while (during the merger mostly). Then it jumped to 100 Mb/s. We're supposed to move to 200 Mb/s as well "soon". All that time, I never paid for higher speeds. I always remained on their base or standard speed package (not counting their "lifeline" or low-income service options).

Roadrunner was 3 Mbps when I first got it in 1999, and it would slow down if too many people on my street were online. Regardless of that, it was awesome compared to what I came from - 128Kb ISDN.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Sacrilegious as this may sound, I'd sell my soul for 100 mbs. I'd cut an appendage off for 50 mbs. My max is 16 Mbs if I'm lucky. I cry when I read threads like this one.

I pay $125/mo for 9.5 down/ 2.5 up. I feel yo pain.

I had a rude awakening moving just outside of town. I was in town, and had Comcast at $89/mo, and would get around 300Mbps. Moved literally 4 telephone poles outside of the city limits, now Comcast doesn't provide service. I call Comcast's "help" desk (100% sarcasm) to see how much it would cost to get service. Two days later I get a call back, and the quote: "Sir, it would be somewhere between 20 to 40 THOUSAND dollars for our technicians to run a line to your residence."

I had to hang up immediately just so I wouldn't curse at this person. It's literally $100 in RG6 and 30 minutes with a trencher's worth of work, that's all.

So now I'm stuck with a Sprint 4G hotspot, with about 15-17Mbps with a hard limit of 100GB/mo, for $60. At least my wife got what she wanted by living outside of town
frown.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I had a rude awakening moving just outside of town. I was in town, and had Comcast at $89/mo, and would get around 300Mbps. Moved literally 4 telephone poles outside of the city limits, now Comcast doesn't provide service. I call Comcast's "help" desk (100% sarcasm) to see how much it would cost to get service. Two days later I get a call back, and the quote: "Sir, it would be somewhere between 20 to 40 THOUSAND dollars for our technicians to run a line to your residence."

I had to hang up immediately just so I wouldn't curse at this person. It's literally $100 in RG6 and 30 minutes with a trencher's worth of work, that's all.

So now I'm stuck with a Sprint 4G hotspot, with about 15-17Mbps with a hard limit of 100GB/mo, for $60. At least my wife got what she wanted by living outside of town
frown.gif

As an ex-cable company employee, "it's just $100 in RG6 and less than an hour's worth of time with a trencher" is ignoring things like permitting, FCC regulations, signal levels (they usually run as far as they can from the local cable box/office when they do the install in an area so to service a new area they have to bring in repeaters and other equipment) and more.

It's just not that simple.

Or, put another way - you are doing the equivalent of complaining that an automatic transmission rebuild can cost thousands of dollars "because they're only replacing a couple parts, how hard can it be?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back