Internet upgraded

I have fiber 100up/100down from a smaller isp. Cost $70/mon after all fees the oan rental. There are cheaper mediacom and centurylink options but I'll gladly pay the extra $10 for no data cap, and 10000X better customer service.

I have to wonder how much of that is psychological. Streaming doesn't require hundreds of megabytes of download speed. If you can pull 25-40 Mbps, that should more than satisfactory. A stream will have a ceiling where no add'l bandwidth is necessary - isn't that correct ?
Yes, I agree. But here is another possibility. He has an issue with his set up at home, Ive run into this COUNTLESS times servcing home security systems.
People think their speed is to slow and pay for more speed to overcome the problem/issues with the set up on their home.

Example, someone pays for 25 Mbps or 50 Mbps but only gets actual throughput of 12 and 20 respectfully.
So they upgrade to 100 and get a satisfactory 50.

The proper solution is to call the internet provider and tell them to get you what you pay for. The best way to do this is one call to the provider and if no satisfactory outcome file a complaint with the FCC and the internet provider will start to fall all over you to solve the problem.
It takes literally 3 minutes to file a complaint on line, once you do, expect a call from your provider/superior within days to come to your house at YOUR convenance to solve the issue.

Here is the link, scroll down to the highlighted word "form" click = https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115002206106-Internet-Complaints

"If you are interested in submitting an informal complaint about an Internet-related issue, please complete this form."

Last edited:
You cant pay less for slower speed, they wont let us.
I would be good with 100Mbps service from Spectrum but forced to take 200 Mbps service for $75
Not defending Spectrum, but they don't want to offer dozens of speed "tiers". You would be happy with 100 Mbps for $X, then someone else says "I want 50 Mbps for lower cost". Where does it end ? As I mentioned earlier, I pay for their "standard" service and they speed it up over time. I am aware they offer lower speed but you have to qualify for it (certain income level, senior citizen age, etc). I haven't looked at it in years, but with business-class fiber, you can pick your speed, though it will be symmetrical up/down. You (or I or most) won't pay the rates though !

You might want to look into what QOS options your router provides
... And also, as I once learned embarrassingly, that QoS settings do not interfere with speed tests and the opinion about your internet speed that this test informs.

When I had fibre installed in my home a couple of years ago - a 30/30 service, I conducted a speed test while the installation tech was here. Time after time it maxed out at 15 down and 15 up, almost on a dime. Eventually dejected, he left, promising to look into the issue. It wasn't 5 minutes later that I tried disabling QoS as a "Hail Mary" and immediately got 30/30 on the speed test. The QoS of my particular firmware, it seems, was rate-limiting individual device's bandwidth to 50% of max.

Not defending Spectrum, but they don't want to offer dozens of speed "tiers". You would be happy with 100 Mbps for $X, then someone else says "I want 50 Mbps for lower cost". Where does it end ? As I mentioned earlier, I pay for their "standard" service and they speed it up over time. I am aware they offer lower speed but you have to qualify for it (certain income level, senior citizen age, etc). I haven't looked at it in years, but with business-class fiber, you can pick your speed, though it will be symmetrical up/down. You (or I or most) won't pay the rates though !
Oh I understand what you’re saying, let me rephrase what I am saying. Spectrum raised my price 50% in the last five years using as an excuse the increased speed. I wasn’t asking for a special price for low speed all I wanted to do was keep the same $50 price that I had.
$75 for a data connection isn’t worth it to me and I will pay $50 again as soon as TMobile, Verizon or my local Electric utility gets service to my area. They all have plans to do just that. Then I will say goodbye to Spectrum.
Spectrum knows that they are coming here and I’m certain why my price isn’t fully going up for one more year.
It’s funny how quickly they changed their tune.
Where does it end? They could start by not raising their base rate 50%, what other company can get away with that?

t mobile has this
$50 a month with auto pay and no contract and no up front equipment costs.
can anyone comment on it , i think im real close to giving it a try

t mobile has this
Have you checked to see if its available to you yet?
I tried it Fan/Feb of 2021, T Mobile tried, just couldn't make it work reliably. Since then they have made our area "not available."
Cell tower needs upgrading. Verizon also working on it, in fact we got a card in the mail saying Verizon was available but when we called, we were told not yet.

If its available to you, try it, you have nothing to lose, if it doesn't work good, return it, if it does work good in your area its a slam dunk.
No upfront cost, no contract, no special promotional rate. T-Mobile has a habit of grandfathering rates. Not so with Verizon, Verizon is a 2 year special price. Both $50.

I think wireless 5g to homes will be the standard some years down the road, just as home landlines have faded away, I THINK the same could happen with landline internet.

Have you checked to see if its available to you yet?
I tried it Fan/Feb of 2021, T Mobile tried, just couldn't make it work reliably. Since then they have made our area "not available."
Cell tower needs upgrading. Verizon also working on it, in fact we got a card in the mail saying Verizon was available but when we called, we were told not yet.

If its available to you, try it, you have nothing to lose, if it doesn't work good, return it, if it does work good in your area its a slam dunk.
No upfront cost, no contract, no special promotional rate. T-Mobile has a habit of grandfathering rates. Not so with Verizon, Verizon is a 2 year special price. Both $50.

I think wireless 5g to homes will be the standard some years down the road, just as home landlines have faded away, I THINK the same could happen with landline internet.
ya , the plan is to try it , maybe wait till leaves come out 1st , could work fine now squeaking thru the trees but not so good with leaves out , then trial would be over

t mobile has this
I can get T-Mobile home internet in our area and it would be the only real competition to Spectrum. The local phone company does offer DSL but maxes out at around 25 Mbps. Spectrum knows they're the only real game in town so threats of switching/dropping them fall on deaf ears in the past.

I can get T-Mobile home internet in our area and it would be the only real competition to Spectrum. The local phone company does offer DSL but maxes out at around 25 Mbps. Spectrum knows they're the only real game in town so threats of switching/dropping them fall on deaf ears in the past.
Same here, ATT DSL at 25 Mbps or Spectrum at 200 Mbps and optional 400Mbps. Not much choice, that is it. Literally 4 houses from my house there is ATT fiber which was the second phase of the community but not here - copper. ( I dont like ATT anyway and their pricing)

Sooo I wait for my local electric company fiber to get buried or TMobile or Verizon. I suspect TMobile or Verizon 5g will be available before the end of the year.
Since my wife works full time from home on a company provided work station and office phone I do need to be sure whatever it is is 100% reliable, Spectrum has that reliability. Up until last year they paid for our internet, those days now gone.

@redhat, Good info.

I've been paying Spectrum $74.99/mo ever since I dropped down to internet only some years ago. I'm not even sure what my service is. All I can see is a general statement of "speeds up to 200Mbps".

I did 3 speed tests and they seem to level out at 60-70Mbps up and 12 down. Horrible I presume. Never really noticed a problem and in a household of 6, there's got to be 30+ devices pinging off the wifi at any given moment.

I've got a newer Netgear cable modem/ wifi router combo as well. Maybe 8mo old.

I've been paying Spectrum $74.99/mo ever since I dropped down to internet only some years ago. I'm not even sure what my service is. All I can see is a general statement of "speeds up to 200Mbps".

I did 3 speed tests and they seem to level out at 60-70Mbps up and 12 down. Horrible I presume. Never really noticed a problem and in a household of 6, there's got to be 30+ devices pinging off the wifi at any given moment.

Spectrum is increasing everyone's "standard" speed level to 200 Mbps. I had to manually reboot my cable modem even though the upgrade process by Spectrum should have forced a reboot (the email they sent said this too). If you're connected by WiFi, that's another variable that Spectrum can't control so speed tests may not be accurate. If you can, even temporarily, connect a computer with an Ethernet cable and test. Otherwise, connect to your 5 ghz wireless network and move as close as possible to the router and test again. Finally, run the speed test during off-peak times, like 6 am, and use this one: https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.

ya , the plan is to try it , maybe wait till leaves come out 1st , could work fine now squeaking thru the trees but not so good with leaves out , then trial would be over
Yep. But it depends on what 5g band they are using. If they are using the 600-700 MHz bands it won't make any difference, but if they are using one of the higher bands, particularly the 24 GHz or higher bands, it will make a difference.
Wow, forums are great for stuff like this, I never thought about that. Agree 100% now that you mention it.
Something that you may not have considered is the fact that cellular Internet (although having throughput often rivaling cable or fiber) has MUCH higher latency, on the order of 30 ms (and often quite a bit higher) on the local cellular link itself.

Spectrum is increasing everyone's "standard" speed level to 200 Mbps. I had to manually reboot my cable modem even though the upgrade process by Spectrum should have forced a reboot (the email they sent said this too). If you're connected by WiFi, that's another variable that Spectrum can't control so speed tests may not be accurate. If you can, even temporarily, connect a computer with an Ethernet cable and test. Otherwise, connect to your 5 ghz wireless network and move as close as possible to the router and test again. Finally, run the speed test during off-peak times, like 6 am, and use this one: https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.
Thank you Sir!

Yep, I did use the spectrum speed test you linked to and the laptop I ran the speed test on is connected by ethernet cable to the modem.

May have to work up the ambition to call them.. Ugh. lol

@redhat, Good info.

Crazy to be paying for 200 and getting 60 to 70 Mbps.
I pay the same for 200 and get 235 Mbps. Before I did though, I had to file a complaint with the FCC. Within days Spectrum field supervisor called me to see when it would be ok to come over. They worked the entire day in the community and got it working at the correct speed.
Only takes seconds to fill out the form = https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115002206106-Internet-Complaints

Click where it says = If you are interested in submitting an informal complaint about an Internet-related issue, please complete this form.

Reactions: JTK
About 3 months ago I took up AT&T on their fiber upgrade from DSL. Just by mentioning T-Mobile for $50 and Spectrum for $45. They literally fell all over themselves to keep me. Result was Lifetime $45 1/2 gig, 300 Mbps modem is included. Mentioned that over the last 45 years, I have always had at least one AT&T (Ma Bell) service.

After going thru the modem the max I have seen 299 Mbps to the laptop and phone. Speed tests on the phone and laptop average 175 Mpbs and has been uber stable. I'm happy. YMMV

t mobile has this
I've had this since last summer when Spectrum told me that my Internet which went out on Sunday afternoon wouldn't be restored until Thursday. TMo got me a 4G box in two days, promised 5G within a month, I'm still waiting. No real problems. I don't have new TV's, a couple of 720's so I've had no problems with buffering and I'm a happy camper.

Interestingly enough Spectrum was pulling money from my checking account (my fault, I set the auto pay up on my end), and additional money from my credit card. Stupidly I overpaid for three months and only got two back so they still owe me. Took an hour on the phone with them to get one month back, and if I had a snail mail address I'd write 'em then turn it over to the BBB. Need to do that...

TMo is usually about half the speed as my Mint phone, so much for the theory that MVNO's get cheated on band width. Just ran it and TMo home did 17 Mbps after bouncing temporarily to 35, I got 72 on Mint. Both are considerably faster at night.

All in all, like both of 'em better than my previous go round with Spectrum and Boost. Hope Boost makes it but my experience with them after the Dish takeover was far from pleasant. Needed my account number to switch over to Mint and found out that neither on line, my Boost portal or a Boost store could tell me what it was. Finally got through by phone. Same bad experience in saying goodbye that Dish did on the entertainment, cut the satellite antenna experience. Now to get a new 5G box out of TMo, not that I'm not happy with what I have. Plus TMo is a promised fifty bucks til I die and Mint's a cool twenty bucks for ten gigs.

Last edited:
Back