Internet upgraded

Presently have internet via Spectrum copper coax. I had their 200 x 10 Mbps regular package. Figured I'd see what else I could get for my money. I called up their retentions department and told them I was looking into other service providers and wanted to see what deals they could provide. Ended up with the Ultra internet for the same price of $54.99 for 3 years.

Pretty happy, works well. 400 x 20 Mbps. It does not hurt to call. Crazy what good equipment and cabling does. Half the people in this town complain about Spectrum left and right -- couldn't fathom what their 12 year old WiFi router looks like.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 10.13.39 AM.jpg

Do you have a need for the increased upload bandwidth?

I went from Spectrum 10/100 to fiber from a competitor last year. Fiber clocks in at 150/150 on the speed tests. Honestly I don’t see any different at all in anything other than Torrent downloads.

must be nice 74.99 for 10/100, 94.99 for 20/400, 129 for 35/940
spectrum.

my only other option is att DSL for $70 and 50Mbit service.

Of course that might change soon.. this was announced yesterday

must be nice 74.99 for 10/100, 94.99 for 20/400, 129 for 35/940
spectrum.

my only other option is att DSL for $70 and 50Mbit service.

Of course that might change soon.. this was announced yesterday
The local county here has also been running Fiber. I don't know what provider will be picking that up.

Perhaps it's worth calling and threatening cancellation and get your bill down.

The local county here has also been running Fiber. I don't know what provider will be picking that up.

Perhaps it's worth calling and threatening cancellation and get your bill down.
I tried that. they tell you if you want it hooked back up its 6-8 weeks currently....
I got them to throw in the ultra for 84.99 10bucks off. they werent budging on anything else.

I tried that. they tell you if you want it hooked back up its 6-8 weeks currently....
I got them to throw in the ultra for 84.99 10bucks off. they werent budging on anything else.
Them thieves jeez I'd figure they'd be chomping at the bit to keep a customer happy.

Do you have a need for the increased upload bandwidth?

I went from Spectrum 10/100 to fiber from a competitor last year. Fiber clocks in at 150/150 on the speed tests. Honestly I don’t see any different at all in anything other than Torrent downloads.
What is nice is working from home and or uploading to YouTube. But beyond that, still works as well as it did before.

My iPhone on T-Mobile has faster internet than my broadband service provider at home. I'm on the waiting list for T-Mobils 5G home service.
However, streaming Netflix.. only needs soo much speed and anything beyond it doesn't matter for me except for the occasional large macOS and Windows update.

IMG_2162.PNG

must be nice 74.99 for 10/100
Reboot your modem (and router for good measure). Spectrum is upgrading everyone on the "standard" plan to be 200/10 across the country. They updated our standard speed 2-3 weeks ago. I don't pay "extra" for their tiers - I get the base internet package. It is now 200/10 Mbps.

Reboot your modem (and router for good measure). Spectrum is upgrading everyone on the "standard" plan to be 200/10 across the country. They updated our standard speed 2-3 weeks ago. I don't pay "extra" for their tiers - I get the base internet package. It is now 200/10 Mbps.

I forgot about the upgrade, I currently have ultra for 10$ more the double upstream bandwidth is a good plus.
I considered their gigabit but its 35/940 if it was 100/940 I'd think about it.
image_2022-04-11_110421684.png

If you watch YouTube in 4K, click on "stats for nerds". It will display the bandwidth used, AND, it's often higher than expected.

I mentioned here on BITOG that I switched from 100 to gigabit speeds and my picture quality cleaned up considerably. Or rather I should say that my satisfaction index has improved. As I now have very few moments where the picture is low resolution. And it now recovers from that fast, as in a few seconds max.

My iPhone on T-Mobile has faster internet than my broadband service provider at home. I'm on the waiting list for T-Mobils 5G home service.
However, streaming Netflix.. only needs soo much speed and anything beyond it doesn't matter for me except for the occasional large macOS and Windows update.

View attachment 95968
Be aware that T-Mobile Home 5G has some limitations.

My connection is fringe 5G with 2 bars.

Download speed can run as high as 550 Mbps and upload 14 Mbps.

However, if my cell tower sees a lot of traffic, cell phones take priority over T-Mobile Home 5G, and T-Mobile throttles my connect down to 60 Mbps.

This happens a couple of times a month, that I know of.

Also, the 5G Gateway's ethernet ports are slow. My erro mesh network runs at about 50% of the Gateway's WiFi-6. This has been reported by others.

T-Mobile reportedly will soon be offering compatible WiFi mesh nodes.

If you watch YouTube in 4K, click on "stats for nerds". It will display the bandwidth used, AND, it's often higher than expected.

I mentioned here on BITOG that I switched from 100 to gigabit speeds and my picture quality cleaned up considerably. Or rather I should say that my satisfaction index has improved. As I now have very few moments where the picture is low resolution. And it now recovers from that fast, as in a few seconds max.
streaming bandwidth can be streaky depending on the source.. it wont use constant 20mbits it will pulse 50-0 50-0 etc. as it builds buffers etc.
this is fine except if you have 50mbits and someone is playing online game etc.
more bandwidth is definitely better in ways that are not immediately obvious.. that being said once you get to 100-200Mbits unless you have a full house of users that is usually plenty

I am with Comcast and just redid my service, was 400/10, new plan is 600/20 for $3 more a month.

I was getting a solid 450 down and 12 up with the old plan, and this is what I just now on the new plan:

speed.JPG

I don't need that speed, I was fine with my old 100/5 plan, but I was paying $60-65 for that a few years ago, and am now paying $53 for 6x the speed.
My current plan is a 2 year contract with a free modem for the first year, then a $15/month rental. I already have a modem that will work, so when the year is up, I will just return their modem.

I mentioned here on BITOG that I switched from 100 to gigabit speeds and my picture quality cleaned up considerably.
I have to wonder how much of that is psychological. Streaming doesn't require hundreds of megabytes of download speed. If you can pull 25-40 Mbps, that should more than satisfactory. A stream will have a ceiling where no add'l bandwidth is necessary - isn't that correct ?

What is the best "speedtest" to use ?
If your internet provider has one, use it. Reason is you should have a straight(er) shot to their test server. If you were located in California and use a speed test server in New York, you will (may / probably) traverse other company's networks and there could be slowdowns that your internet provider has no control over. I'm in Ohio with Spectrum and they have a test server in the center of the state.

You can also try https://dslreports.com/stest. It has servers scattered around the country and should connect you to the "best" one.

I have to wonder how much of that is psychological. Streaming doesn't require hundreds of megabytes of download speed. If you can pull 25-40 Mbps, that should more than satisfactory. A stream will have a ceiling where no add'l bandwidth is necessary - isn't that correct ?
None, it flat out infuriates me when my 77inch LG OLED TV displays 4K material at 240 lines of resolution AND won't resolve for 3 minutes.

As mentioned above, the data comes in packets, and for whatever reason, the faster internet makes for a far more pleasing experience.

Also of note, mama is a gamer-girl, and can be a power user.

I am with Comcast and just redid my service, was 400/10, new plan is 600/20 for $3 more a month.

I was getting a solid 450 down and 12 up with the old plan, and this is what I just now on the new plan:
Yeah, the increases in speed now are for profit. You cant pay less for slower speed, they wont let us.
I would be good with 100Mbps service from Spectrum but forced to take 200 Mbps service for $75, even though right now its $65 till next year.
Now they are out with a 400 Mbps service that I already assume will replace the 200 Mbps service once they want to raise prices again.

I dont want it or need it but forced to take it until more providers come along ... and in our area they are on the way but taking FORVER...
I even get post cards from one company (Verizon home internet) that they are here but when calling, they arent here YET *LOL*
Spectrum must be aware of this and why after my special one year $49 rate expired we got a letter saying they are "only" raising us to $65 for this year then $75 next. I suspect once at $75 we are are going to be told they will also increase to 400Mbps which I dont want.

Also local electric utility years behind on getting fiber in communities with underground utilities... right outside our community with above ground utilities they have had fiber for years at $49. Grrrrr ...
Also Verizon and TMobile home internet waiting in the wings, not here yet, all I hear is they almost are... and $49 a month.

I will question one thing in your post. I will be curious if they will let you use your own modem. I wont be surprised if you get surprised when you want to use your own that you find out they no longer allow it.

Back