Howes Oil Enhancer - Diesel Oil Additive - What is it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89374
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89374

For a 2007 Detroit D60, I was looking to boost the ZDDP levels a bit. It seems like ZDDP is being cut more and more by the major heavy-duty diesel oil producers. Heck, Delvac 1300 15W-40 looks even worse than Rotella T4 15W-40, which is what I'm using now. Has anyone here used Howes Oil Enhancer? There is no PDS on this additive, however, there is an SDS here: https://www.howeslube.com/sds_sheets/en/Oil Enhancer EN OSHA WHMIS GHS SDS 2019-03-01.pdf

It looks like there are Zinc and Phosphorus in Howes Oil Enhancer according to the SDS, however, I've never been good at chemistry. I searched for a VOA, however, I came up empty. If anyone has one or is using this stuff, then please let me know what it is and how it improves upon the engine oil. I'm just looking to protect this engine as much as possible, times are rough. Thank you.

Is there something telling you that you should be using more ZDDP? Most manufacturers have lowered ZDDP to help with the emissions systems, but the oil should still work good in the older units. Have you done an oil sample to see if there are problems with the current additive package?

Is there something telling you that you should be using more ZDDP? Most manufacturers have lowered ZDDP to help with the emissions systems, but the oil should still work good in the older units. Have you done an oil sample to see if there are problems with the current additive package?

I don't need to. Both Delvac and Rotella are lowering the amount of ZDDP constantly. I looked them up on the PQIA website, as well as various VOAs and UOAs online. That Detroit engine isn't getting any younger, but these **** oil have for sure less and less additives. It's not like Exxon or Shell are replacing ZDDP with magical unicorn juice in these Diesel oils. It's not only detrimental to older engines, but to new ones as well. The number of failed DD13 and DD15 engines is ridiculous, no one wants a used truck with one of those. Oil companies keep taking additives out, but they aren't replaced by anything. More Moly is not a magical solution for anything, and worse, they're not increasing the Moly in Diesel oils. Almost seems like a ploy to shorten the lifespan of truck engines, both old and new. Doing more frequent oil changes seems like a short term strategy for now.

Maybe you should investigate switching to a synthetic oil? I started with Mobil Delvac ESP 5w40 in my truck but didn't really find any advantage when following the EVIC for the OCI, so I switched to Delvac 15W40. The cost is significantly less and the OCI was the same, so made sense to me.

I took a few minutes and scanned the VOA message board. Here are a few more recent examples of VOA to maybe help you pick an oil you'll be happy with. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest running a few UOA's to see if you are getting increased wear with the oil you are running now...

Rotella T5 15W40 -> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/shell-rotella-t5-ck4-15w-40-and-10w-30.322547/
Rotella T6 5W40 -> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/rotella-t6-5w40-ck-4-october-2019.317577/
Mobil Delvac ESP 5W40 -> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mobil-delvac-esp-5w-40-ck4-synthetic-voa.320037/
Amsoil 5W40 -> https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-amsoil-hdeo-signature-series-5w40.283560/

I don't need to. Both Delvac and Rotella are lowering the amount of ZDDP constantly. I looked them up on the PQIA website, as well as various VOAs and UOAs online. That Detroit engine isn't getting any younger, but these **** oil have for sure less and less additives. It's not like Exxon or Shell are replacing ZDDP with magical unicorn juice in these Diesel oils. It's not only detrimental to older engines, but to new ones as well. The number of failed DD13 and DD15 engines is ridiculous, no one wants a used truck with one of those. Oil companies keep taking additives out, but they aren't replaced by anything. More Moly is not a magical solution for anything, and worse, they're not increasing the Moly in Diesel oils. Almost seems like a ploy to shorten the lifespan of truck engines, both old and new. Doing more frequent oil changes seems like a short term strategy for now.

is there an internet link to a study that shows engine failures with definitive cause and effect relations due to lowered ZDDP?

You say that oil manf. are removing ZDDP and not replacing the AW additive with substitute chemistry. Just curious as to how you know this?

is there an internet link to a study that shows engine failures with definitive cause and effect relations due to lowered ZDDP?

You say that oil manf. are removing ZDDP and not replacing the AW additive with substitute chemistry. Just curious as to how you know this?

I read the UOAs and VOAs on this very forum for example. Everything I see points to the fact that there is less and less ZDDP in newer motor oils. Now, show me some proof of the opposite of this. Show me that I'm wrong because I'd rather be wrong than right on this issue, believe me. Show me how oil manufacturers are improving their oils and how they're compensating for the lower amounts of additives. I can only go but what I see, however, if you can provide new information that proves me wrong, I welcome it. Thank you.

On another note, I posted this thread trying to find out what "magic" ingredients Howes Oil Enhancer has in it. I was hoping that someone else was even more curious than me and had already done a VOA. I feel that this thread is getting derailed. I'm really not here to debate the additive levels in modern oils, that's already visible in the multitude of VOAs available here and on PQIA. Thank you.

I read the UOAs and VOAs on this very forum for example. Everything I see points to the fact that there is less and less ZDDP in newer motor oils. Now, show me some proof of the opposite of this. Show me that I'm wrong because I'd rather be wrong than right on this issue, believe me. Show me how oil manufacturers are improving their oils and how they're compensating for the lower amounts of additives. I can only go but what I see, however, if you can provide new information that proves me wrong, I welcome it. Thank you.

On another note, I posted this thread trying to find out what "magic" ingredients Howes Oil Enhancer has in it. I was hoping that someone else was even more curious than me and had already done a VOA. I feel that this thread is getting derailed. I'm really not here to debate the additive levels in modern oils, that's already visible in the multitude of VOAs available here and on PQIA. Thank you.
How about you tell us how much zinc your application requires and why the current levels are inadequate for that application?

How about you tell us how much zinc your application requires and why the current levels are inadequate for that application?

My engine is a 2007 Detroit D60. Please look at how much ZDDP was in diesel oils in the early 2000s, and how much is now. My engine did not change, but the oil has. So I would like to have at least as much ZDDP in my oil as I had back in 2007. Now, can you tell me honest to God that ZDDP has been replaced by some additive or base oil that's not visible in VOAs?

Again, this thread isn't an academic exercise, I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas what additives are in Howes Oil Enhancer, that's all. If no one can help, it's fine. I got a Blackstone kit here, I'll fill it up and send it on its way to get a VOA. I'll just post it when I get the results back.

My engine is a 2007 Detroit D60. Please look at how much ZDDP was in diesel oils in the early 2000s, and how much is now. My engine did not change, but the oil has. So I would like to have at least as much ZDDP in my oil as I had back in 2007. Now, can you tell me honest to God that ZDDP has been replaced by some additive or base oil that's not visible in VOAs?
How much ZDDP was in the oil back in the early 2000s or in 2007? Not trying to be difficult but you're not giving specifics here. There are many oils available that have ZDDP levels that are elevated above today's API SN or SP 30-grades.

Or to put it differently, what specification does the owner's manual say is required for this engine? Is it CJ-4?

Last edited:
How much ZDDP was in the oil back in the early 2000s or in 2007? Not trying to be difficult but you're not giving specifics here. There are many oils available that have ZDDP levels that are elevated above today's API SN or SP 30-grades.

Or to put it differently, what specification does the owner's manual say is required for this engine? Is it CJ-4?

It's running 15W-40 Rotella T4 conventional oil. I see no point to pony up for T6 or even T5. Oil changes have been done like clockwork, and we got the truck in 2011 used and one of the first things we did was to put a new set of bearings in it. They're cheap and it's good insurance.

And for the record, I don't think you're being difficult and I know that everyone who is replying is just trying to help me. Unfortunately, there is only so much information available. We're trying to hang on to this truck for as long as possible because newer trucks are very expensive, and the new emission systems are a nightmare compare to a 2007 engine that only has an EGR valve I need to worry about. It's not even that hard to replace when it goes bad.

Actually, it was API CI-4 that was intended for this engine. I believe that 2007 was the last year when they built the D60 with EGR, then after that, they moved to the newer emission systems. Speaking of emissions, we all need to breed clean air. I just think that newer oils can't just cover everything, as much as they try to. I think that it was around 1400 ppm Zinc and about the same Phosphorus for the older diesel oils. The latest Rotella T4 15W-40 has around 1000 ppm Zinc and 900 ppm Phosphorus. Heck, I bet you can use this new Rotella in gasoline without too many issues. I'm just looking to bump the ZDDP levels up to the older specs, that's all. Thanks for trying to help me guys.

For a 2007 Detroit D60, I was looking to boost the ZDDP levels a bit. It seems like ZDDP is being cut more and more by the major heavy-duty diesel oil producers. Heck, Delvac 1300 15W-40 looks even worse than Rotella T4 15W-40, which is what I'm using now. Has anyone here used Howes Oil Enhancer? There is no PDS on this additive, however, there is an SDS here: https://www.howeslube.com/sds_sheets/en/Oil Enhancer EN OSHA WHMIS GHS SDS 2019-03-01.pdf

It looks like there are Zinc and Phosphorus in Howes Oil Enhancer according to the SDS, however, I've never been good at chemistry. I searched for a VOA, however, I came up empty. If anyone has one or is using this stuff, then please let me know what it is and how it improves upon the engine oil. I'm just looking to protect this engine as much as possible, times are rough. Thank you.

It is an ester of ZDDP or Zinc, Phosphorodithioic acid, mixed O,O-bis(1,3-dimethylbutyl and isopropyl), in an oil carrier otherwise known as ZDDP in an oil carrier.

I know of NO third Party additive that improves upon a finished engine oil that is properly speced for the correct application.

Last edited:
Yogi,

You are the one that made this assertion:

YogitheCat said:
...It's not like Exxon or Shell are replacing ZDDP with magical unicorn juice in these Diesel oils. It's not only detrimental to older engines, but to new ones as well....Oil companies keep taking additives out, but they aren't replaced by anything.

Let's forget for the moment the silly, "magical unicorn juice" statement and concentrate on the question below.

ZDDP levels have been reduced (not eliminated) but you say Oil companies keep taking additives out, but they aren't replaced by anything. Again, how do know this?

Last edited:
It is a ZDDP ester of Zinc, Phosphorodithioic acid, mixed O,O-bis(1,3-dimethylbutyl and isopropyl) esters, in an oil carrier otherwise known as ZDDP in an oil carrier.

I know of NO third Party additive that improves upon a finished engine oil that is properly speced for the correct application.

Thank you. It sounds like you really know your stuff :)

I kind of feared that the answer was that no additives will improve a finished engine oil.

I really don't know what oil manufacturers are replacing ZDDP with, I'm not a petrochemical engineer, I'm just going by the numbers that I see on UOAs and VOAs that I find, mostly here on BITOG. I learned a great deal on this forum. Now, that being said, I did not mean to sound insulting or bash anyone's product or come across like a know-it-all. That was not my intent. I'm here to learn, and I'm the kind of person who asks when I don't know something. So please don't be upset about my assumptions, they are just assumptions. I am actually curious how new oil formulations improve upon the old ones. Chasing higher levels of ZDDP can't be the answer to everything.

As far as the 2007 engine is concerned, we're trying to get another couple of years out of it before it gets overhauled, that's all. Oil changes are done like clockwork, and it's running like a top. So if you have any additional advice, I more than welcome it.

Thank you. It sounds like you really know your stuff :)

You haven't spoken to my wife or students have you? :D

I kind of feared that the answer was that no additives will improve a finished engine oil.

I really don't know what oil manufacturers are replacing ZDDP with, I'm not a petrochemical engineer, I'm just going by the numbers that I see on UOAs and VOAs that I find, mostly here on BITOG. I learned a great deal on this forum. Now, that being said, I did not mean to sound insulting or bash anyone's product or come across like a know-it-all. That was not my intent. I'm here to learn, and I'm the kind of person who asks when I don't know something. So please don't be upset about my assumptions, they are just assumptions. I am actually curious how new oil formulations improve upon the old ones. Chasing higher levels of ZDDP can't be the answer to everything.

As far as the 2007 engine is concerned, we're trying to get another couple of years out of it before it gets overhauled, that's all. Oil changes are done like clockwork, and it's running like a top. So if you have any additional advice, I more than welcome it.

Understand that you are trying to squeeze out some more years out of your trucks and if they are running well with no issues that's good.

Please understand that $28.00 VOA's show you nothing about the other chemistries that are hidden in the DI chemistry (the additive package).

Organic Sulfur-Phosphorus-Nitrogen compounds, Phosphorylated Borates and Borate Esters, sulfurized olefins, polymer esters, blends of dialkyldithiocarbamates such as Methylene bis(dibutyldithiocarbamate), various dithiadiazoles and other organic compounds has been added as AW's that you don't see.

Of the above list of chemistry reported in a cheap VOA, you would only see the AW additives phosphorus and Boron reported but you would not realize that it is a complex compound, a molecule of atoms and not a single element.

I hope this helps and am glad to see you are here to learn. 👍

Last edited:
Small Fleet - currently running Gliders - 12.7L S60 Pre-EGR

Shell Rotella T CH-4 Oil - 20,000 mi OCI (Proven capability to 22,500 mi) with HSD.

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super CK-4 Oil - 30,000 mi OCI (Proven Capability to 40,000 mi / Currently testing at 45,000 mi with eye to extending drains to 40,000 mi) with ULSD.

No decrease in mileage to bearing replacement or time to overhaul. No increase in camshaft replacements.

PS Currently run Fleetguard FL3620 Filters just in case you were curious.

Back