How to unscrew these bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest using a rubber hammer and beating the wrench with it. I use one often when removing any stuck plugs/nuts/bolts.

defectes, i have picked up the replacement socket. I will try again in the next day or two. Thank you for the encouragement.

eljifino, i don't know of any other place i can add the fluid through. Also, i haven't even tried to loosen the drain plug, so i must try the plugs first. I suspect it may be as tight as the fill plug.

Bigmike, i will try with a mallet and lots more pb blaster.

You could always get a Snap-On socket
wink.gif
Much less likely to break, LOL.

Are you having trouble with both fill plugs and drain plug? You are lucky that the cheap hex key stripped. If you had stripped the plug, you would be in a big trouble.

What problems are you trying to solve? Is this an emergency? Replacing manual transmission fluid is routine maintenance and if you wait another quarter, it will be fine. Wait until your mechanic has time.

I understand you want to do it yourself and I am sure you will eventually but I believe you might cause more problems.

- Vikas

Last edited:
A trick I use for the really tough underbody bolts is to position the breaker bar in a horizontal position, then use a jack to turn the breaker bar. It's easier and safer than jiggling the car when you're under it. Of course this is assuming you have the clearance to position everything.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you having trouble with both fill plugs and drain plug? You are lucky that the cheap hex key stripped. If you had stripped the plug, you would be in a big trouble.

What problems are you trying to solve? Is this an emergency? Replacing manual transmission fluid is routine maintenance and if you wait another quarter, it will be fine. Wait until your mechanic has time.

I understand you want to do it yourself and I am sure you will eventually but I believe you might cause more problems.

- Vikas

For obvious reasons, i haven't even tried to loosen the drain plug. Stripping the fill plug was the main concern for me and that's why i was reluctant to push too hard on it.

It's just routine maintenance.

After posting a couple of hours earlier, i decided to have another go at it. I couldn't loosen the fill plug, so i called my mechanic and drove over the short distance.

He took care of the transmission fluid change for me. The fill plug was screwed in much tighter than the drain plug. He hoisted the car up, so he got a better leverage on it.

I was trying to loosen the fill plug while laying on my back, and i didn't want to give it all i had for fear of stripping the plug. However, the plug isn't easy to strip, as even the mechanic had to give two or three good tries with the breaker bar before he got it loose. And he was standing up.

So, the issue has been taken care of. Thank you to all you guys for the replies and the advice.

On another note, it has been a good learning experince, with the exception that my confidence in the most basic thing -- how to loosen a plug-- got shaken up when i couldn't find success early on. And i had been doing it right all along.

don't feel bad i had to put a impact wrench on the oil drain plug of my C-15 every time.

I install it with a regular 1/2 drive ratchet but that thing has some magic power that it tightens up as you drive and i couldn't brake it loose with a 36" cheater.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I'd suggest using a rubber hammer and beating the wrench with it. I use one often when removing any stuck plugs/nuts/bolts.

I have one at my side now whenever I work on a bolt that's going to be tight. I don't even mess with it; stick the socket/ratchet in place and WHAP. Works like a charm.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Harbor Freight offers several types of breaker bars that work pretty good, including one that ratchets. They are fairly inexpensive too. I've used the 1/2" drive fixed breaker to loosen some really tough bolts.

Breaker_Bar.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

I have the long one and have not had a chance to use it yet. Wish I had it when decided to take anode out of the top of the water heater but air impact wrench took car of that.

edit- never mind, you had it fixed already lol!

I have a Saturn Ion, it has a VERY similar setup to what you are looking at. Everything down to the hex bolts looks the same, it could be the same Getrag transmission for all I know.

Yours looks much easier, my drain plug is right up against the frame on the car, and you need to cut down a hex key, to even get it in there to loosen the bolt.

You will need a breaker bar, you can't do it with a regular ratchet.

Don't be afraid to lean on it, you won't hurt it.

Invest in a good pair of gloves, when you push a breaker bar hard, it will put a bruise on your hand.

Get the fill plug out first, then try the drain plug.

I don't think you need a mechanic to do this type of work, it is really a 20 minute job.

My saturn takes like a quart and a half of synthetic fluid. I changed mine out with 60k miles on the clock, the fluid looked brand new RED, and I did not notice any shift improvement after going from factory to the Mobil 1 fluid that met the factory spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
edit- never mind, you had it fixed already lol!

I have a Saturn Ion, it has a VERY similar setup to what you are looking at. Everything down to the hex bolts looks the same, it could be the same Getrag transmission for all I know.

Yours looks much easier, my drain plug is right up against the frame on the car, and you need to cut down a hex key, to even get it in there to loosen the bolt.

You will need a breaker bar, you can't do it with a regular ratchet.

Don't be afraid to lean on it, you won't hurt it.

Invest in a good pair of gloves, when you push a breaker bar hard, it will put a bruise on your hand.

Get the fill plug out first, then try the drain plug.

I don't think you need a mechanic to do this type of work, it is really a 20 minute job.

My saturn takes like a quart and a half of synthetic fluid. I changed mine out with 60k miles on the clock, the fluid looked brand new RED, and I did not notice any shift improvement after going from factory to the Mobil 1 fluid that met the factory spec.

As i have mentioned, my primary concern was stripping the plug. However, as you suggest, i could have forced harder on it. I know that now, but i didn't know it earlier.

Hopefully, somebody else will find the information useful.

I used redline 75W90 oil. I think i may have noticed a slight improvement in shifting, but i am not sure. It may just be the placebo. However, i have only driven the car once since changing the oil.

Sometimes my shifting in the first and rear gear wasn't smooth, especially in the mornings, and i would see if an oil chance has any effect on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back