How to safely store filters for use years from now?

How would rust harm an oil filter?
Good question! Mostly it would adversely affect OCD the Iron test in a UOA. Deterioration of the rubber seals would be my primary concern. Cool and dark protects rubber usually.

I just put my filters on the shelf in the garage and have not had any problems. I like the bag idea though because I would think it would keep any possible dust out of the filter. Gotta love those Corvette's of any year.

Maybe put a tablespoon or 2 of motor oil in , and roll it around so it coats the interior of the filter

I keep mine INSIDE the climate controlled house (my den). I'm still using the last of my Fram Pro Synthetic filters (FPS7317) made in 2013. This way temperature and humidity stay pretty constant.

Last edited:
If the inner cage rusted, that would go to the bearings. Assuming the inner cage was metal, unlike an e-core.
All I've ever seen is surface rust on the steel base plate which does not just wipe off. Not like there are flakes of rust ready to fall off. Have you ever seen rusted inner steel cage on a new filter? I keep mine outside in the shed inside a baggie. Humidly here is terrible unusually. Buy 4-5 years worth of filters at a time.

All I've ever seen is surface rust on the steel base plate which does not just wipe off. Not like there are flakes of rust ready to fall off. Have you ever seen rusted inner steel cage on a new filter? I keep mine outside in the shed inside a baggie. Humidly here is terrible unusually. Buy 4-5 years worth of filters at a time.
Not an issue for me, I buy filters just before an oil change.

Don't overbuy on filters. Let Wal-Mart be your storage cabinet.
...or....
Store all newly bought filters submersed completely in a dino-frankenbrew bath of fresh oil from oil bottle leftovers and keep them there until just four minutes before usage. Store said special-use Coleman cooler in the corner of a dry basement, wrapped inside a black garbage bag drawn tight, where sun, small farm animals, insects, wives and others cannot possibly taint these precious oil filtration devices.

Clearly these are the only options. /s

All good information here. After reading several historical threads, and this one I've been trying to determine a storage strategy myself as I have enough filters for about 8-10 years. The one thing I've read that some folks have hit on is the longevity of the rubber gasket. For the rubber gasket It seems its key to store in a cold (or room temperature), dark area and oxygen deprivation is also ideal.

I think my personal plan will be to:
1) put each in individual quart ziplocks
2) toss in a oxygen absorber
3) huff in some CO2 (I chuckled alot at this one)
4) if there is no seal on the metal plate, lightly oil it to prevent surface rust.
5) store in a dark room, room temperature zone.

Thank you everyone :)

FWIW Oxygen absorber is just raw iron shavings. It scavenges the O2 out of the air to make FeO, aka rust.

I have a large vacuum sealer, desiccant packs, some corten paper goes in with the filter, i'll let you know in 10 years if it worked or not!
lots of fleetguard stratapore filters, CAT 1r-0749 fuel filters amsoil bypass filters for a boat im building. Did the same thing with the spare starters and alternators and other spare parts, kinda fun actually.

Back