How to safely store filters for use years from now?

I found 3 metal backed Fram Titanium filters for my Corvette locally. It may take me 3 years to use them. I discovered that they fit snugly in a 1 quart freezer bag, so I bagged them up, put them back in their boxes and I'm storing them in my garage. This way, even if my garage becomes damp the moisture will not get to my stored filters.

Do you do anything like this? Am I just being nuts? Is this ...@overkill

1691694152710.png

Do you have a dry basement ?
That's where I store a lot of items.
It doesn't freeze in the Winter.
In the Summer, it's not too hot and I run a dehumidifier.

I also have some oil filters in the basement right now, I also put in the bag a rechargeable desiccant.

... so I bagged them up, put them back in their boxes and I'm storing them in my garage. This way, even if my garage becomes damp the moisture will not get to my stored filters.
Store them inside the house someplace, not in a garage or in a damp basement. I bag my filters, and some are a few years old and I have no problems using them in the future.

I use stretch wrap (food service film) from Costco and touch 'em on an inverted, heated pan to seal them up well.
Cozy, dry shelf.
Air filters are commonly in sealed film packaging.

Just for extra piece of mind I'd throw in some of those moisture absorbing bags found in shoe boxes etc to help.

I would not store oil filters long-term anywhere that could become damp, even in a bag. Temperature extremes should also be avoided. I put mine inside the house in a closet. If the filter does not have its own cellophane seal, I find a clean used plastic bag and wrap it up tight until I use it.

Reactions: pbm
ziplock bags are not air tight. Fill one with something stinky and set it in the sun - then you will know.

I keep mine in a file drawer in my office.

How many years before you use these?

I have a bag of VCI chips that Iwill last my lifetime. I would bag the filters and throw in a VCI cardboard chip. Unless the filter media contradicts using these for some reason.

I don't know...oil fiters seem to keep in the original packaging. 🤷‍♂️

Mine are stored on top of a cabinet in a cardboard box in our conditioned laundry room.
It opens into the garage so it is right there, and is temp and moisture controlled. I have had a few filters up there for over 5 years and still had no issues with them when I did use them.

I store them in a cabinet in the garage. I live in a high humidity area but dont use any special wrap. I have only kept them for about 3 years but no rust (so far).

Back