How to preserve new filters?

I keep mine in their original boxes and packaging (i.e., no plastic wrap or other seals) in a cabinet in the garage for several years. So far so good, AFAIK.

Last edited:
I use this type of wrap, seal the business end of the filter with it and place it back into the box threads down and store it in the basement. If you suffer from OCD put a rubber band around the filter to hold the cling wrap in place. Done deal.
Why with the threads down?

^^So mud daubers don't make nests in 'em"^^
Hard to do when in a box, with a seal over the end (or the filter in a plastic zip-lock bag, etc) and stored inside the house. I don't store my oil filters in the garage. I also store them with the base up so there's no weight on the gasket (that probably wouldn't matter, but that's how I do it).

Because during a coin toss I like heads up. ;)
Oh and also because it holds the cling wrap in place, it enters the box in a position that doesn't remove the wrap. Especially when I use the generic store brand stuff, and I'm too cheap to use a rubber band.

Oh and also because it holds the cling wrap in place, it enters the box in a position that doesn't remove the wrap. Especially when I use the generic store brand stuff, and I'm too cheap to use a rubber band.
Get this plastic wrap at Walmart ... it's the best clinging plastic wrap I've ever found, and inexpensive.

1644699992827.jpg

Dessicant packs come in all shapes and sizes, put some dessicant in a zip lock bag with the filter, put them some place relatively humidity & temperature controlled. Your filters will be in better shape than some of the Rock Auto ones I've seen...

Back