How to preserve new filters?

Went to super Walmart last night. Picked up 3 ST made in USA oil filters for my Dodge Magnum. So that is 3 years worth, starting in November of 2022. The last filter will not be used until November 2024. These filters are not wrapped at all, just loose in the box.
Should I add a little oil and lubricate the seal, drain back valve, and swish around the interior to prevent rusting?
Or am I overthinking this? Filters were on clearance $2 each. I also picked up 2 five qt Castro’s Magnetec at $16 each.
ST 10,000 mi was $19.95 per 5 qt jug. It pays to buy when they want to sell it off.

I used to work in a Biotech facility where storage bags had an expiration date. They were perfectly fine, but not for process use (going to be discarded), so I grabbed them and store my filter stash in them.

store in a cardboard box, "face down" and a pack of climagel. Store off of basement floor.

If "climagel" is anything like silica gel a flimsy oil filter box essentially leaves the filter in the atmosphere.
Your gel will be saturated/dead in no time.
Give 'em a wrap in kitchen stretch wrap or free zip-lock bags before putting them back in the box-with or without any gel packet.

Now sit back and wait for the "forgotten-about gel packet which was pumped into my oiling system and trashed my engine" threads.

Why stock up and worry about it .. walmart will still be there in 2 years. buy a fresh one if it bothers you.

This is a 3$? oil filter right?
That being said I have 9 hyundai filters 8 kia filters and 6 wix filters in the basement.. no I'm not worried.

The deere does look odd with a kia filter on it.. but its a Japanese engine with a Korean filter

How anal do you want to get about it? If you want to dial it up to 11 throw them in a 50 cal ammo can with some desiccant packs and they aren't going to rust at all.

I live in the southeast and it is a bit humid in my garage and if a filter stays out there long enough I can see a little surface rust on the inside of the canister. I keep them in a closet in my upstairs office and have no rust issues whatsoever.

38bc1a70-9cd3-4ed0-a795-59120e0949eb.069c779b02c5808f9077ac7194a6c21e.jpeg

^ All kinds of things can happen under a bed. They must be kept on your person at all times, in an air tight vac sealed bag with dessicant, in an ammo can, in a zero oxygen and % humidity environment, where there is no sunlight, and freezing cold, and oiled/lubed/sealant/wax/claybar detailed every Tuesday at 3: PM. Do not open the bag to do that. Especially, do not use them to filter oil, that's going to wear them out faster than anything else. ;)

🤣🤣🤣
thanks for the responses. Both serious and funny.
I only bought 3 at once because they are on clearance. 2 bucks instead of 3 😂.

The (non super) Walmart closer to me had nine and the gent in automotive told me they were discontinued. It seems ST is cutting applications for oil filters and WM is stocking all the price points of Fram, as well as Mopar, Motorcraft, AC Delco, and K&N.

I admit I’m probably overthinking it, I just don’t want the insides to rust. I’ll bring them into the basement where the temperature swings are less, and maybe wrap them in Saran wrap as a precaution.
I figured that I would get some advice since a lot of folks on here buy in bulk when items are on sale.

I admit I’m probably overthinking it, I just don’t want the insides to rust. I’ll bring them into the basement where the temperature swings are less, and maybe wrap them in Saran wrap as a precaution.
Seal them in something and put in a small desiccant pack inside the sealed package if you want more insurance, and also keep them in your sock drawer. 🤫😄

🤣🤣🤣
thanks for the responses. Both serious and funny.
I only bought 3 at once because they are on clearance. 2 bucks instead of 3 😂.

The (non super) Walmart closer to me had nine and the gent in automotive told me they were discontinued. It seems ST is cutting applications for oil filters and WM is stocking all the price points of Fram, as well as Mopar, Motorcraft, AC Delco, and K&N.

I figured that I would get some advice since a lot of folks on here buy in bulk when items are on sale.
Supposed to read “none” not “nine” imagine how much Glad wrap I would need if I bought Nine 🤣

Back