How-to on returning oil to FCP Euro for a refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Here's how to do it. Changed my oil this past weekend so figured I'd de-mystify this process. The common concerns are 1) is it ok to mail/ship used oil? and 2) how does FCP make money offering this? Yes, as far as I can tell from my research, it's ok to mail the used oil just like it's ok to mail your kit to BS. The flash point of ~400 kicks it out of being classified as a hazardous material per the USPS's documents and you tell them what it is when you mail it (liquid - motor oil). Some folks have reported the USPS denying it and it's just that they aren't familiar with this so be prepared - BS has a letter you can print out detailing why it's ok to do/meets the requirements. FCP makes money b/c it's a likely a low take-rate on this b/c of the hassle factor just like a rebate - many don't take advantage of them. Additionally, you buy other crap when you on their site and most of it will never be returned. I use it for oil, cabin filters, spark pugs, and wipers and combine shipping to maximize my refund. So I get my LM oil change kits for $21 is the bottom line putting it cheaper than about anything else.

Last edited:
Seems like a good oppportunity, but a hassle too. Ive been tempted but never bit. I do have OE oil filters that I intend to do the cycle with them for free...

Seems like a good oppportunity, but a hassle too. Ive been tempted but never bit. I do have OE oil filters that I intend to do the cycle with them for free...
For some yes, but if you are organized it's not too bad and certainly no more time than doing rebates and taking my used oil to our local dump's used oil recycling center.

I wonder what the cost is to ship used oil when compared to just parts. Anything under 30 bucks, I normally do not sent it back but more expensive stuff yes.

They have to make some money to stay in business.

Biggest problem is the oil selection.

Liqui Moly....no

BMW Twin Power....expensive and don’t have the grade i want

VW.... see above

Pentosin..... it looks ok but i’m saving 15 bucks at most compared to walmart M1/Edge 0W40

Biggest problem is the oil selection.

Liqui Moly....no

BMW Twin Power....expensive and don’t have the grade i want

VW.... see above

Pentosin..... it looks ok but i’m saving 15 bucks at most compared to walmart M1/Edge 0W40
What's wrong with Liquimoly? Been working great for me.

I wonder what the cost is to ship used oil when compared to just parts. Anything under 30 bucks, I normally do not sent it back but more expensive stuff yes.

I pay $21 for a large flat rate box and can fit an oil change, wipers, plugs, cabin filter, etc. in there in some fashion/combo. The key, as I say in my video, is to combine shipping with other stuff. Brake rotors/pads will be $$$ b/c of the weight but again, if you toss everything in one big thing for say $40 shipping, that's still a good deal.

I'm quite sure they don't offer this losing money on it....you end up buying other stuff that you likely never return AND I would wager only a small % of their customers do it.

I get the oil change kits from the for our Volvo, but I’ve never returned one before. Even at $64 it’s way cheaper than the dealer for the Volvo spec oil. It always seemed like a hassle. I’ll try it next time, thanks for the video!

I get the oil change kits from the for our Volvo, but I’ve never returned one before. Even at $64 it’s way cheaper than the dealer for the Volvo spec oil. It always seemed like a hassle. I’ll try it next time, thanks for the video!
Hope it helps - folks think it's a hassle but to me this isn't any more time than going to recycle my oil.

They clearly do this as a PR stunt and considered as a tax write off/marketing budget. I'm assuming most customers are too lazy to take advantage of the return process for little things and often times the shipping makes it not worthwhile.

Here's how to do it. Changed my oil this past weekend so figured I'd de-mystify this process. The common concerns are 1) is it ok to mail/ship used oil? and 2) how does FCP make money offering this? Yes, as far as I can tell from my research, it's ok to mail the used oil just like it's ok to mail your kit to BS. The flash point of ~400 kicks it out of being classified as a hazardous material per the USPS's documents and you tell them what it is when you mail it (liquid - motor oil). Some folks have reported the USPS denying it and it's just that they aren't familiar with this so be prepared - BS has a letter you can print out detailing why it's ok to do/meets the requirements. FCP makes money b/c it's a likely a low take-rate on this b/c of the hassle factor just like a rebate - many don't take advantage of them. Additionally, you buy other crap when you on their site and most of it will never be returned. I use it for oil, cabin filters, spark pugs, and wipers and combine shipping to maximize my refund. So I get my LM oil change kits for $21 is the bottom line putting it cheaper than about anything else.

You get better oil in Wal Mart for $22.

You get better oil in Wal Mart for $22.
Add a 6th liter, filter, and drain plug then compare the pricing, ~$40 for a M1 0W40 "kit" I would think? Not to mention supporting Walmart vs. a business that supports the Euro car community which is a separate discussion.

My Atlas uses half a $50 box of M1 0W-40 FS and one filter, crush washer, drain plug, and o-ring per change for a grand total of $13.

That's $38/year.

Not to mention the hassle and downright silliness of pouring used oil back into jugs, cleaning everything up, boxing it, and mailing it.

It's just a ridiculous thought to me, and it doesn't save enough money to be worth my time in the slightest.

My Atlas uses half a $50 box of M1 0W-40 FS and one filter, crush washer, drain plug, and o-ring per change for a grand total of $13.

That's $38/year.

Not to mention the hassle and downright silliness of pouring used oil back into jugs, cleaning everything up, boxing it, and mailing it.

It's just a ridiculous thought to me, and it doesn't save enough money to be worth my time in the slightest.
Yes, for your situation, clearly not worth it. I do 4x oil changes a year for my wagon, 1x plugs (at least), 1x cabin filter, and 2x f/r wipers. So all of that for $84 in shipping.....seems like a pretty good deal for what amounts to the same hassle as getting your oil re-containerized out of your drain pan and to the recycling facility. To each their own as they say.

Add a 6th liter, filter, and drain plug then compare the pricing, ~$40 for a M1 0W40 "kit" I would think? Not to mention supporting Walmart vs. a business that supports the Euro car community which is a separate discussion.
Euro community? What is that? I actually personally know my local Wal Mart employees.

I’ll support a few places that have treated me well w/r to parts etc. for my VW, VW/Euro events, and online content/DIYs that have been helpful for me. I like that I get to spend my money where I want to support businesses I like and you can spend your money where you want for the same reason which in this is case is your local Walmart. What does this have to do with my original post that was meant to be helpful for those wishing to utilize FCP Euro's return policy for motor oil and parts? For whatever reason you two seem to like to chime in with commentary like this on my posts just to be argumentative.

Last edited:
I’ll support a few places that have treated me well w/r to parts etc. for my VW, VW/Euro events, and online content/DIYs that have been helpful for me. I like that I get to spend my money where I want to support businesses I like and you can spend your money where you want for the same reason which in this is case is your local Walmart. What does this have to do with my original post that was meant to be helpful for those wishing to utilize FCP Euro's return policy for motor oil and parts? For whatever reason you two seem to like to chime in with commentary like this on my posts just to be argumentative.
You're the one who apparently had to slip that in your post, not me nor edyvw.

Perhaps people shouldn't post stuff on a public message board they don't want anyone to read or comment about.

You're the one who apparently had to slip that in your post, not me nor edyvw.

Perhaps people shouldn't post stuff on a public message board they don't want anyone to read or comment about.

The classic here it seems....post anything related to oil that isn't found or purchased at Walmart. Then the usual players come in with you can get XYZ at Wallyworld for $ABC which is really just passively saying "you're a moron for not buying XYZ at Wallyworld" which of course is an opinion that you are certainly entitled to - no issue with those comments. Then a comment is made about where someone buys there stuff/supports etc. followed by the concern by the same folks that this is somehow an issue b/c they don't know what a car enthusiast 'community' is. Have your last word saviors of the world of wall!

And to the perhaps statement? Perhaps you shouldn't be such an online forum jerk.

In other news, I dropped off my box at the USPS in the little town one of my client's office is in - ask me what it was....said oil...she ask if it was hazardous...I said no...she took my $21. I'll hopefully see my ~$64 refund next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back