How to make my rebuilt transmission last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my 4L60E rebuilt. All new soft parts, solenoids, and a pump stator.

I haven't done the 500 mile re-check yet, but I was thinking after that maybe I would put Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic fluid in it instead of the Proline that's in it now.

Any other suggestions to make a tranny last?

Since the main enemy of the A/T is HEAT a transmission cooler is a good idea. If that's too much work a bottle of Lubegard Red is also good.

Quote:
Since the main enemy of the A/T is HEAT a transmission cooler is a good idea.

+1+

Absolutely correct. I've rebuilt several THM 350's and also the 4T60E (which is the FWD version of yours). A cooler is the best way to increase overall longevity. A good synthetic fluid wouldn't hurt either.

Aftermarket cooler in line after the stock radiator one.
And a Magnefine.
A full synth fluid is your best bet, also, an keep it refhreshed.

Not much more that we can do.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
A cooler. Lubeguard and a good fluid. Also don't cruise around town in overdrive .

Oh man.. I can tell you that ive never driven around town in the "D" rather the "OD" position, which is gears 4 and 5 is it not "Its P R N OD D 3 2 1" right?

However,, Id add LGR. I cant find it to put in this one yet, so i added a quart of ATF in abesnce of LGR..

.. but the Aamco "transmission coolers:" A lot of people say "The transmission didnt COME with a cooler so why go adding one" and I tend to agree.. still.. it sounds cool and logical to have more cooling on a trans.

Dont do brake burnouts with it and youll be ok. Pretty tough trans and thats good.

Also, be sure to change the fluid every 30,000 miles now? Thats what I would do. Pretty much, if i ever got a car that needed trans rebuilt 9and i would take it straight to AAMCO.)

AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out. Remember this.

Quote:
A full synth fluid is your best bet, also, an keep it refhreshed.

Agreed, but thought all ATF was synthetic? Just get the right -KIND.- Not so much brand......

Since you're already driving it I can't advise to flush the cooler lines, but the shop *should* have done it. Gets debris from the old grenaded trans out.

Wolf's head oil was always the bargain brand of the litter, just "good enough". IDK about their ATF. Dex III isn't supported by GM anymore and you're taking the oil company's word that it meets all specs. A concern when one is searching for lowest price with store brand fluids or bulk fluid. Dex VI might be worthwhile.

Put in a quality ATF of the right spec, not a "universal" one.
Do a pan drop, filter change and then refill every 30-40K.
Don't drive it like you stole it.
Most automatics will last for the life of the vehicle if not abused and if given decent maintenance.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Most automatics will last for the life of the vehicle if not abused and if given decent maintenance.

x1000.

After regular maintenance, maybe a cooler. Addon filters and transmission "treatments" like LubeGard I don't buy...many trans last a long time with good maintenance.

Are the universal transmission fluids no good?

I use Castrol Import which is labeled as a universal ATF, been using it for 200k miles in my GM 4L30 transmission, love the results and have yet to have an issue.

I have no additional cooler, nor an inline filter.

I simply drain/refill every 15k miles and drive normally; this truck has towed heavy loads and seen many high incline mountain passes as well.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton

An ATF like Amsoil ATF is pretty a universal synthetic ATF and probably one of the best ATFs out there. But its not 100% universal, so you need to check their website to make sure.

What is not good, is going to a quick oil change place where they put in some bulk ATF from a flush machine and add a magic additive to make it the exact ATF your vehicle needs.

As always a Magnefine is a great addition.

Lubrigard is not needed with a high quality synthetic ATF.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Since the main enemy of the A/T is HEAT a transmission cooler is a good idea. If that's too much work a bottle of Lubegard Red is also good.

+1 Service it! I do mine every 30,000 miles. Use a good ATF, that is recommended for the unit, and add Lubegard to it. Lubegard is one of the best products you can add to an automatic transmission. Most good mechanics and tranny builders recommend it, it helps improve shifting and lowers the temperature of the transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton

Who knows?
I'd feel fine about using M1 or Amsoil ATF in an application where they recommended it.
Lower end "universal" fluids?
Maybe not.
You may as well use an ATF properly licensed for the tranny you're putting it in.
No worries that way, and it's not as though you'll save big money using anything else anyway.
The original fill will be 10-14 qts, depending upon the tranny.
After that, a pan drop, filter change and refill will cost you 3-5 qts every 30-40K.

People might tell you different, but LG actually helps a trans last longer. Proven to reduce temps. Mentioned in Manufacturer TSB's!

Absolutely essential if you want the longest life.

30k mile intervals for pan drops is about right for many drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back