How to make my rebuilt transmission last

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still get the impression Lubegard is paying into viral marketing for some reason.

Considering Lubegard is the same company responsible for numerous heinous crimes of "making Dexron compatible with any transmission, just add our magic fluid" I don't exactly trust them.

Lubegard Red is great (apparently), just the rest of their products that turn Dexron into anything and account for numerous cases of transmission problems by not using quality, specific fluid for the application that nobody talks about is odd.

Last edited:
The best way to make it last is by changing the fluid and filter according to the schedule in the owner's manual. Make sure to use the correct fluid as well.
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Just had my 4L60E rebuilt. All new soft parts, solenoids, and a pump stator.

I haven't done the 500 mile re-check yet, but I was thinking after that maybe I would put Wolf's Head Universal Synthetic fluid in it instead of the Proline that's in it now.

Any other suggestions to make a tranny last?

i agree with what everbody is saying about fluid changes and coolers. but keep in mind rebuilt transmissions quality of rebuild varies widely by who the actual person was who did the rebuild. the industy (rebuild industry NOT REMAN) has a 20 percent failure rate. i am not trying to be doom and gloom but your rebuild lasting also depends on the experience and knowledge of the person doing the rebuild! mike

I believe there are some shift kits are available to help them last longer as well from what I understand.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i agree with what everbody is saying about fluid changes and coolers. but keep in mind rebuilt transmissions quality of rebuild varies widely by who the actual person was who did the rebuild. the industy (rebuild industry NOT REMAN) has a 20 percent failure rate. i am not trying to be doom and gloom but your rebuild lasting also depends on the experience and knowledge of the person doing the rebuild! mike

A terrific point. My trans guy has a severely long waiting list!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I believe there are some shift kits are available to help them last longer as well from what I understand.

Depending on what combination of mods you put in, it is very easy to end up with an overly harsh 1-2 shift on a 4L60E. I would research any proposed mods VERY carefully, else you end up taking them out.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

Depending on what combination of mods you put in, it is very easy to end up with an overly harsh 1-2 shift on a 4L60E. I would research any proposed mods VERY carefully, else you end up taking them out.

Given that the 4L60E is electronically controlled, is there a way to reprogram it to shift a certain way, rather than open it up and physically install and modify it?

My limited understanding on that is that after a certain year (not sure which) you can use a hand-held tuner to go into the shift tables and modify pressures and durations. I'm not certain whether you can do anything about shift points in relation to throttle angles or MPH. There is a fair amount of information available in various forums but I'm not up on it.

Edit - One thing people do is turn up the pressure on the pressure regulating (AKA "force") solenoid, which ups the line pressure and shift harshness across the board. That is done at the solenoid though, not in the computer.

Here is a relatively simple upgrade to extend the life of your clutch packs in the 4L60E:

On the passenger side of the trans, behind the front pass. tire is a round protrusion (sometimes behind a heat shield). Pop the snap ring out and remove the whole deal and replace the necessary parts with a 'corvette servo'. You can search and buy the parts in a pack online for about 25 dollars. The kit includes some o rings, seals, and new 4th (?)apply piston. Its simple and it stiffens up the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. This takes maybe 45mins start to finish.
Less clutch slip = less HEAT

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hisilver
Here is a relatively simple upgrade to extend the life of your clutch packs in the 4L60E:

On the passenger side of the trans, behind the front pass. tire is a round protrusion (sometimes behind a heat shield). Pop the snap ring out and remove the whole deal and replace the necessary parts with a 'corvette servo'. You can search and buy the parts in a pack online for about 25 dollars. The kit includes some o rings, seals, and new 4th (?)apply piston. Its simple and it stiffens up the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. This takes maybe 45mins start to finish.
Less clutch slip = less HEAT

I like the sound of that. It's kind of a slushbox as it is.

Putting in bigger servos does not affect clutch pack life. That applies more force on the band, allowing less slippage there, but there is only nominal, if any, change in clutch life.

I ran a Dodge Caravan trans rebuilt from 0 miles to 80,000 with the Amsoil trans fluid and magnifine filter. It was immaculate when I changed the fluid, and shifts as good as the day it was put in.
The stuff is not cheap, but I have had awesome results with it for over 17 years. Not being a maniac while you drive also can't hurt.

I understand its more important on these trannys to also come to a complete stop between reverse and going into drive.

I understand its more important on these trannys to also come to a complete stop between reverse and going into drive.

That's important on ANY automatic transmission.

Drain the transmission pan every 2nd or 3rd OCI.....while your changing the oil and replace the ATF with clean fluid.

Use the right spec fluid....and IMO, find the cheapest stuff you can get that meets the vehicles spec.

If you have the drain pan with a drain plug....IMO...this is what I would do....especially with a rebuilt transmission

If you have no drain plug on your transmission pan....IMO....see about the possibility of getting one installed. After all.....you want this rebuilt transmission to last.

IMO....If you want to use some synthetic ATF....go with a 50/50 mix of some Mobil 1 with the generic AFF. IMO...Like motor oils, all ATF are compatible within the same classification. IMO... if you need Dexron for your Tranny, just use a nice cheap generic ATF, that meets your specs, then add some M 1 into the generic and make a nice blend.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Drain the transmission pan every 2nd or 3rd OCI.....while your changing the oil and replace the ATF with clean fluid.

Use the right spec fluid....and IMO, find the cheapest stuff you can get that meets the vehicles spec.

If you have the drain pan with a drain plug....IMO...this is what I would do....especially with a rebuilt transmission

If you have no drain plug on your transmission pan....IMO....see about the possibility of getting one installed. After all.....you want this rebuilt transmission to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back