Tranny fluid changes

Hi first post here. I've done a ton of research and can't get a clear picture of how to do this properly. So I'll get right into it. I have 4 auto trannys:

4T65E (03 century 3.1 100k) commuter
4T80E (03 Deville 4.6 100k) wifes commuter
4L60E (98 Jimmy 4.3 108K) 4 wheeler/hunting vehicle
E4OD (96 F-250 5.8 60K) boat puller

I'm looking to change tranny fluid once a year (yes I over maintain everything) with pan drops instead of every 30 k as i don't put that many miles on any of them yearly but its just easier to remember.

My questions are:

1) Would it be ok to use a multi vehicle fluid like maxlife or Mobil 1 in all of them? (Don't wanna order Amsoil) Or would I be better off using the vehicle specific/back specd fluids (merc v and dex vi)?

2) Best fluid brand that isn't amsoil?

2) Who makes the best automatic transmission filter with regard to filtering abilities? I can't find any hard data on this.

3) Would synthetic, blended, or conventional make much of a difference if I am going to change it yearly anyways?

4) Is mixing different brands from year to year advised to get the different additive packages from each or should I just pick one and stick with that?

5) They have all been maintained with 30 k changes routinely. Should I just do a transmission flush on everything and start fresh?

Thanks.

1. Maxlife is probably fine. I wouldnt change yearly. That seems like a waste of time and money.

2. Any brand that meets the spec is fine

3. Synthetic may handle higher heat better but i wouldnt pay more for synthetic if you want to change yearly.

4. Mixing is ok but its always better to stick with one brand.

Multi vehicle fluid won't damage anything but they might not perform ideally. With three GM's, AC Delco Dexron VI by the gallon is often cheaper. And I wouldn't be surprised if it worked just fine in the '96 Ford since many multi-make fluids say they are Dexron/Mercon compatible.

I'd bow to the experts but if you want numbers of opinions, here's mine.
I've a 16 gallon history with MaxLife and have nothing against it but Dex-VI for the 3 GM vehicles might be better.
I used ML in several applications calling for Dex/Merc and it worked fine.

As an owner of an E4OD descendent, a 5R55E, I use Mercon-V.
Your Ford FF was Mercon. Ford back-specced it to Mercon-V.
6-packs of Valvoline Mercon-V were sensibly priced when I bought mine.

I agree with the others that I wouldn't use Maxlife, as its lower viscosity than the older fluids. ATF performs a hydraulic fluid function, and lower viscosity will make your torque converter slip / spin more - heating the fluid more. Probably not a big deal, but if you can still source reasonably priced Mercon and Dex iii I think you need, then why not stick with the proper stuff.

Valvoline does make a Merc / Dex multi vehicle fluid in a blue bottle that has much higher viscosity than maxlife, and mobil 1 also makes a synthetic fluid that claims the same I think.

Are you going to change the filter every year also? If not, see if you can find a replacement pan with a drain plug.

I agree with the others that I wouldn't use Maxlife, as its lower viscosity than the older fluids. ATF performs a hydraulic fluid function, and lower viscosity will make your torque converter slip / spin more - heating the fluid more. Probably not a big deal, but if you can still source reasonably priced Mercon and Dex iii I think you need, then why not stick with the proper stuff.

Valvoline does make a Merc / Dex multi vehicle fluid in a blue bottle that has much higher viscosity than maxlife, and mobil 1 also makes a synthetic fluid that claims the same I think.

Are you going to change the filter every year also? If not, see if you can find a replacement pan with a drain plug.

I was planning a filter change every other year and I after reading posts here I am planning to buy aftermarket pans with drain plugs.

After reading the posts here I was planning to use the.valvoline dex vi and the unlicensed merc v as it's a synthetic where the licensed stuff is all conventional or blend.
Would the M1 fluid have a benefit that the recommended fluids don't? Would it fit this application better than maxlife?
I'm not too concerned about price as fluid is cheaper than a rebuild and I'd rather use good, easy to obtain stuff.

I'm still having trouble deciding on filters as no one has mentioned it here. There's gotta be better than oem out there right?

I was planning a filter change every other year and I after reading posts here I am planning to buy aftermarket pans with drain plugs.

After reading the posts here I was planning to use the.valvoline dex vi and the unlicensed merc v as it's a synthetic where the licensed stuff is all conventional or blend.
Would the M1 fluid have a benefit that the recommended fluids don't? Would it fit this application better than maxlife?
I'm not too concerned about price as fluid is cheaper than a rebuild and I'd rather use good, easy to obtain stuff.

I'm still having trouble deciding on filters as no one has mentioned it here. There's gotta be better than oem out there right?
On the filter I personally would stick to OEM if its available, but my guess is that its not anymore. I would worry more about construction than filtering for a ATF filter. Buy from a well known manufacturer. The worst case scenario is that it fails, not that it lets a couple more micron size particles through.

I will defer to others on the fluid choice. Both Mobil 1 and Valvoline are of the most reputable blenders in the market - my guess is that either is fine. You could look up the PDS and look at the SDS for its additives if listed, and determine if you like one better than the other. If either meets spec then its likely good.

The E4OD if all original, I really would try to hunt down plain old mercon or maybe ask over at FTE website.

I rememeber people using mercon V and then having real slippy OD enguagement.
I read that ford reformulated the fluid so that it was backwards compatible and reduced shudder.

Maxlife is good stuff. There is nothing wrong with it :)

Also, if you didn't already, get aftermarket pans that have a drain plug. This will make the job much easier :D

yep definetly doing that then. Was considering just buying a punp to pump it out of the dip stick tube.

I know you didn't ask but IMO an A/T filter is generally a 'rock catcher' and doesn't need changing very often especially after the first time it's changed (after the initial wear debris there seemed to be little debris in any filter I've cut open and that even includes inline Magnafine's that I've installed.) OTOH, changing A/T fluid every 2 years/30K is a great idea for extending transmission life IMO.

I know you didn't ask but IMO an A/T filter is generally a 'rock catcher' and doesn't need changing very often especially after the first time it's changed (after the initial wear debris there seemed to be little debris in any filter I've cut open and that even includes inline Magnafine's that I've installed.) OTOH, changing A/T fluid every 2 years/30K is a great idea for extending transmission life IMO.
I thin the filter change interval depends on the filter's design. My wife's accord ATF filter is changed every 4 years. I change 3 quarts of the ATF in January of odd numbered years. Hence, the filter is changed every other fluid change. Yes, I over-maintain our cars.

1) You can use whatever you want. Just make sure it states whatever is mentioned in all of the owners manual.
2a) There is no best fluid brand. I prefer locally available.... Mobil1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol... even though sometimes I run into and use stuff like Torco, Amalie, Schaeffers.... There is no best fluid brand!
2b) The ATF filter/gasket/o-ring/pan gasket.... I still only recommend dealer sourced OE parts. Have seen too many poorly constructed aftermarket filters.
3) A drain/refill is a partial change and equivalent to a full fluid exchange every 4-6 years. I would recommend a full synthetic ATF. All the multi/universal fluids have performed ideal in the transmissions that I've used them in.
4) Nothing wrong with mixing.
5) I wouldn't bother....

I would not use a multi-vehicle fluid, just use what they spec, I use either Mopar ATF+4 or Valvoline ATF+4 in my Jeeps.
I would use OEM filters
I would change every 60K miles, I don't see a need to do it more often unless you are towing or snow plowing
If your vehicle doesn't have a drain plug but it does have a dipstick tube, get a vacuum oil changer and suck out as much as you can with the vacuum pump. It makes a really messy job, less messy.

Attachments

• 545rfe extracting fluid from pan with vacuum pump.jpg
    545rfe extracting fluid from pan with vacuum pump.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 6
Back