Does Warren Distribution no longer have a license to make ATF+4?

Helped my dad Install his freshly rebuilt 48re in his ram last night, i rummaged his shelves and found 3qts of atf+4 and proceded to start filling the new torque converter while asking him how much fluid he bought and he said he didnt buy any yet cause on the way home he stopped at walmart and they didnt have any of it in supertech and only had quarts of it in Valvoline for $9.99, thought it was strange they would be out of it in supertech so pulled out my phone and started searching and it seems walmart barely ackowledges atf+4 except for valvoline and castrol.

I then searched a local farm store chain that sells warrens Mag1 line and they made no mention of it on their site.

So did Warren Distribution get their license pulled or is there a shortage on their part or do they not wish to make it anymore? Theres still a ton of chryslers of that era on the road.

Do the parts stores near you have it? :unsure:

If you're willing to order online, get Redline C+

Hopefully you also added an aftermarket pan that includes a drain plug.

Chrysler's Approved ATF+4 list still contains products made by WD/WPP (now called Highline Warren)

Last I heard from him sounds like NAPA was gonna sell him valvoline for $7.99/ qt and that was cheaper than they could sell the actual NAPA branded stuff right now.

Yeah new pan with drain plug was like $30 on rock auto so it got it lol.

It wouldn't stop them from making it. As long as they don't change the formulation it doesn't matter if they have it anymore. Likely discontinued.

It wouldn't stop them from making it. As long as they don't change the formulation it doesn't matter if they have it anymore.
My first thought was the same - they paid for the "recipe" and were granted a license. Kind of a package deal. If they stopped paying the license fee, can they continue to use the same formulation ? I'd bet the license agreement/contract says "no". Even if they slightly changed the formulation, they'd have to claim/show they reverse-engineered the fluid vs used the formulation that they're no longer allowed to reference.

My first thought was the same - they paid for the "recipe" and were granted a license. Kind of a package deal. If they stopped paying the license fee, can they continue to use the same formulation ? I'd bet the license agreement/contract says "no". Even if they slightly changed the formulation, they'd have to claim/show they reverse-engineered the fluid vs used the formulation that they're no longer allowed to reference.
The other alternative is (assuming they have the original formula--like who's to keep them from making a copy of the ingredients list and testing validations) they can still blend it, but if they no longer have a license they can always make a marketing claim that it meets Chrysler C+.

Last edited:
Wouldn't receiving the "ingredient list" be part of a contract/agreement and also an NDA ? You would hope so !

Wouldn't receiving the "ingredient list" be part of a contract/agreement and also an NDA ?
Usually it is. One gets the chemical component list which includes the DI package designation and supplier, the base oil types and suppliers, the VII type and supplier, and the set of validation tests it must pass. Sometimes a process instruction is included as well.

A list of accepted testing companies may also be specified.

Back