How to lube Stihl FS38 shaft?

I've had my Stihl FS38 for 5 years. I replaced the fuel filter earlier this year. I was looking at the manual and wasn't able to find much. It has a clutch on the cutting head as it stops spinning when you let off the trigger. Some say that you are supposed to lube the head but trimmer doesn't have a port to lube the head. I don't want to disassemble my trimmer and not be able to get it put back together. Is it really easy to lube the wire shaft on these gas trimmers? All suggestions appreciated.

That clutch is similar to those in chainsaws...and if it is of similar design it has needle bearing ona clutch bell....thats the one that needs to be greased from time to time...

There is a brass bush on the lower end....I replaced mine over 10 years ago when it was doing hard work. I guess I put some moly grease on it at the time, and it hasn't been touched since.

Thanks for the replies. I really want this trimmer to last. I'm not impressed with any of the electric options. My Stihl still starts with no issues.

Just a random tought...

If/when you will remove that clutch....the easiest way to do it will be by a shoelace (dont use this technique on a 4T OHV engines! You will bent its valves) ...make 3-4 knots on it....put it inside the cylinder (trough a sparkplug hole) that way that it will block a piston...

Then you can undo a clutch on the other side by inserting 🔧 between the empy slots (between those empty slots of clutch springs)....most probably it has reverse thread....so pay attention in which direction you will unscrew that clutch....

Last edited:
Back