Stihl curved shaft lube, and difficulty in use

I have a Stihl fs-38 and last year picked up a tube of their supposedly proprietary lube. I was under the impression that there is a fill hole for it. Unfortunately it seems like this is only on the straight shaft models. Has anyone ever pulled apart and lubed one? Not sure what an official Stihl shop would charge. I just want this to last a very long time.

I have a Stihl fs-38 and last year picked up a tube of their supposedly proprietary lube. I was under the impression that there is a fill hole for it. Unfortunately it seems like this is only on the straight shaft models. Has anyone ever pulled apart and lubed one? Not sure what an official Stihl shop would charge. I just want this to last a very long time.
On my Shindaiwa all you do is grease a zert. Pretty hard!

I never liked them, but I have a few customers who prefer them, it seems they are easier for shorter/smaller people to use.

To me it comes down to the proper tool for the job.
I have one. It's lighter and easier to use for general trimming.
It has nothing to do with being shorter, as I am 6'4".
However, I do have my Echo SRM-225 when I need something more robust for heavy duty usage.

Sadly this is true for many of their newer products. They used to make some of the best.

I have to agree with this.
I have the Stihl trimmer and one of their smaller blowers.
One of my biggest regrets was when I bought the blower. When they had to go get a second one because they were unable to get the first one they pulled out of a box to run properly, I should have walked out.
Now, I get the "Pleasure" of that miserable piece.
Learned my lesson. All future purchases will be Echo. My SRM-225 is that good.

You have take the bevel gear off and pull out the flex cable. Grease it, put it back in the shaft and replace the bavel gear.

This is how you grease the bevel gear on a straight shaft trimmer.
20220109_134621.jpg

just dont buy any stihl . garbage products
Actually after 5 years of flawless ownership, and owning 2 junk brands I'm not sure why you classify Stihl as garbage. They are one of the few made in the usa by Americans products left in this country.

I wish I`d known 20 years ago that Stihl was junk because they have been so good to me. Bought a FS 86 from a guy that hated it because he had put so many part son it and it still wouldn`t start. Got it home and found the black lead disconnected. Have 5 still products most recent a ms 170 chain saw for limbing that is excellent. Also have an Echo chain saw thats 30 years which has been very reliable.

i have done professional lawn service for 45 years and i know crappy products when i use them. of all the pro brands i have had far more trouble with stihl products . also there outdated policy of parts can only be had at a stihl dealer is absurd . you cannot even look up parts numbers ! i do all my own repairs so waisting time driving across town for a part i hope they have in stock bites the big one also. with all other brands the parts come right to your front door.

I think I have a Stihl FS56 curved shaft trimmer. I say I think 'cuz I inherited it from my Dad and it's in storage currently. Have not run it at all myself, and certainly it hasn't run in 15-17 years. I think I have the owner's manual. Dad bought it off a gardener... so who knows how worn it is.

Is that Vintage of unit likely any good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-14-08-40-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-07-14-08-40-51.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 12
Back