How to service the end of a curve shaft timmer tube?

I have been restoring and servicing trimmers and blowers for ages, and never ran across the lower end of the drive tube / pole / boom worn out. Usually the bump feed head fails well before the lower bearing / busing.

On a stihl FS-45 curved shaft trimmer, I was not successful in getting the end apart. Im not even sure how to get oil / lube inside for the sleeve bearing. Grass wrapped around and caused heat damage. Its now loose and unsafe and feels like it will snap off. The factory obviously assembled it somehow, so I guess my direct question is how does this come apart for service / rebuilding?

On the echo there is a bearing assembly that detaches with 2 bolts in case the end ever needs service. Why are not all trimmers some version of this, especially with the high quality of the stihl?

STIHL:
1660144401919.jpg

ECHO:
1660144471172.jpg

1660144968541.jpg

Stihl does not stock the lower bearing assembly in the USA, and do not want international dealers selling it to USA residents.

As I recall, remove one screw and pull out the assembly. It may be in there very tight.

bearing-housing-for-stihl-fse60-fse81-part-no-4140-640-1400.html

My experience 3 years ago:
My 13 year old Stihl FS45C curved shaft trimmer cooked the drive shaft bearings (near the line head), so I went to the Stihl website to buy the parts. I find out that Stihl does not sell parts online to customers, and they do not even make their parts diagrams available to the public. So I go to my local Stihl dealer and ask them to order the bearing assembly for me. After 10 minutes of online searching, they tell me that Stihl does not have the bearing assembly available to order. I then asked if a curved drive tube with the bearing installed was available to order, and the answer was NO. I go home, get online, and confirm what they have told me. The bearing is available to Canadian and European dealers to sell, but not to USA dealers. The bearing assembly is not designed for durability, which I understand for a non-pro trimmer. But to then make the bearing not available to buy when the original one fails speaks of planned obsolescence.

Watched Taryl's channel and if he wasnt able to find a way to re-groove the end and install a new clip, then i certainly am not going to try rebuilding mine with new bronze bushings. It looks like a whole new tube is required which for a fix and flip unit is simply not an option.

This is a very poor design on behalf of Stihl. The timmer has an amazing engine, excellent ergonomics, but fall short on repairability.

Stihl does not stock the lower bearing assembly in the USA, and do not want international dealers selling it to USA residents.

As I recall, remove one screw and pull out the assembly. It may be in there very tight.

bearing-housing-for-stihl-fse60-fse81-part-no-4140-640-1400.html

My experience 3 years ago:
Yup, and this is why I will no longer purchase or recommend Stihl equipment to my customers. If I am unable to buy parts, that means it is a throw-away piece of equipment. The local Stihl dealers can still get some parts, but most are only interested in selling you a brand new machine. It's a shame for what used to be top notch equipment.

I only really use Echo and Husqvarna now.

I did not realize it was that bad. I knew their parts were dealer protected and never to be sold online but was never aware they intentionally used planned obsolenscence methods like that.

Husqvarna wins in ergonomics / weight / and power ratio, but honestly they do the same. You cannot get parts for the 225Rj or 125r grey tops, and a few others.

Echo seems to support stuff all the way back to the 80's but the cost could be called into question on some items.

I hate to say it but you have a disposable trimmer. If you buy a new one in the future I would suggest a straight shaft Maruyama. If you must stick with Stihl, then get a professional model such as the FS94R.

I did not expect that from Stihl! I've been happy with my straight shaft Redmax BC225. It's maybe 20+ years old, has a grease zerk on the head. Very good power to weight ratio. I wonder if you could sacrifice one, tear apart to see the optimal place to tap the tube for a grease fitting.

Anyway I've been losing interest in consumer grade 2 stroke equipment, now go with cordless for light duty/short tasks or contractor grade for the rest. That Stihl wasn't that cheap though, should have had a grease fitting.

Last edited:
Yup, and this is why I will no longer purchase or recommend Stihl equipment to my customers. If I am unable to buy parts, that means it is a throw-away piece of equipment. .......I only really use Echo and Husqvarna now.
I threw away my 13 year old Stihl trimmer because of parts unavailability and replaced it with an Echo.

It was a fix and flip anyways, factoring in the truckload of stuff, it prolly was about 13-15 bucks down the drain.

Ive always been an echo fanboy and they are looking even more appealing by the day.

My FS-45 is about 10 years old and other than having the carb replaced once it still runs great and it gets a workout at the cabin. I also have a Stihl SR200 fogger for mosquitoes/ticks that's 7 years old and never had a problem with that. I guess I'll be looking at another brand when this weed whip dies.

Back