Thumbs Down to Stihl, Hello Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like my Stihl FS40 trimmer. I also have a small chain saw and a leaf blower, both Stihl. They actually START every time I use them and have worked flawlessly for over a decade. If one of them fails I'll most likely replace with a similar Stihl model.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Here is a photo of the bearing, from a UK dealer:

https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/bearing-housing-for-stihl-fse60-fse81-part-no-4140-640-1400.html

The aluminum hex key is a light press fit on the steel shaft, and loosens over time due to taking the force from bumping the string/line head (to release line). When the hex key gets loose enough, tightening the string/line head moves the hex key inward, decreasing bearing clearances and cooking them with friction heat.

Anything I can do to prevent this from happening ? Pulling out the assembly and adding Red loctite to it a good idea ?

My Sthil straight shaft has been awesome for the last five years. I started making my own ethanol free fuel with 93 octane and 30 oz of water then octane booster to bring the octane back up from the lose of ethanol. I also use Amsoil Saber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Baveux
Originally Posted by SubLGT
Here is a photo of the bearing, from a UK dealer:

https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/bearing-housing-for-stihl-fse60-fse81-part-no-4140-640-1400.html

The aluminum hex key is a light press fit on the steel shaft, and loosens over time due to taking the force from bumping the string/line head (to release line). When the hex key gets loose enough, tightening the string/line head moves the hex key inward, decreasing bearing clearances and cooking them with friction heat.

Anything I can do to prevent this from happening ? Pulling out the assembly and adding Red loctite to it a good idea ?

You can try using a wicking thread locker. I tried peening mine with a punch, but that only made it looser. The assembly is designed for failure.

Last edited:
Any equipment make may have issues. Either with the machines themselves or with dealer distribution. I have had lots of flawless Stihl equipment. I have had lots of flawless Shindawa, Echo, and Maruyama equipment. I have also had issues from each brand. Unfortunately there is no perfect manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back