Shopping for a trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well actually my dad is...

His considerations:
- residential use, home plus a cottage
- no brushcutting, but he will be cleaning up a ravine behind his house a couple of times a year which doesn't get mowed and have some more "wild" grass
- he's sold on a split machine - partially because he thinks it'll be easier to transport in the car to the cottage, partially because he's jazzed about "attachments" (even though I don't think he will use anything more than a string often enough to justify the cost of said attachments), and he likes toys.
- he's got solid steel shaft on the brain
- gas powered (duh)
- quality product, reliable, parts availability, serviceable not discard, solid performance
- he likes warranties and Echo has a great one for consumers
- he's probably into bump-feed line
- dealer locations reasonably close to home and cottage for parts (nothing you guys can help with)

My added considerations:
- dual string for balance and lack of vibration
- clutch
- good weight and balance
- *** adjustable carb if at all possible *** we are not under EPA/California restrictions

I have a 2003 Echo SRM-210 he's used a couple of times so he's starting looking with Echo. The SRM-210 had more than enough power for everything he tried to do when he borrowed it, but brochures call out to him how he needs more power.

I also pointed him to look at:
- Stihl
- Redmax
- Shindaiwa

Stihl and Shindaiwa are pushing a four stroke technology that runs on pre-mix for lubrication with no oil sump. I would assume these are heavier, more complex, more failure prone, and the long-term prognosis is unknown. The machines he's eyeing all seem to have this technology but I don't know that I trust it.

I threw Redmax in the list because of murmurs here and another forum which led me to believe I would have been happier with a Redmax myself, had I known they existed when I bought my Echo. Now that I'm running on better two-stroke oil (Amsoil Saber) and have the starting trick figured out I'm happier, but it still doesn't run as well as others I've seen pros use. It would likely be better with a real adjustable carb.

I seem to recall reading a message somewhere, maybe not here, talking about different engines in the Stihl lineup and some being outsourced or of significantly lower quality but with the Stihl badge slapped on it like it's the same thing. Am I dreaming? Any models to avoid?

Any serious considerations on who has the most options and best-performing options in the add-ons for the split machines? Stihl has the most impressive looking accessory catalog (multiple kinds of edgers, blower, a bed edger (scoops dirt) etc....)

I perfectly understand that any of them will be "fine" and probably overkill for a homeowner, but several of them are all in the same price ballpark and if coughing up the bucks I'd like to know more than just what the glossies say. For instance, maybe all the brochures will say steel shaft, but they won't say how many bearings support that shaft. Someone here may know and this would be key to longevity and comfort in the long run.

Thanks!

A friend of mine who I really trust owns a lawn equipment, snowmobile, and ATV shop. He gives me the straight scoop and will even point out the weak points of equipment. Certainly I can't give details of why Echo over the others, but I absolutely LOVE the Echo equipment that I got from him. period. and the Kioritz engines are great. I also highly recommend using the Echo oil. (and I dont normally fall for the OEM brand oil). Also, like you said, they currently have a killer warranty! Do you have a dealer by you (not a big box store) that you can go in and query someone with experience?

For real heavy cutting I like the stihl polycut head, I have a 25cc stihl FS86 and with the polycut I can mow 4' grass easily, with a string head on tall grass is a real chore. For the ravine being able to use something other than a string will be appreciated.
As for what level of trimmer to go to, ask about carb kits vs. having to buy a replacement carb. I have husky 141 chainsaw(cheap one) with problems and there is no carb kit for it just a replacement carb... Tells me the is definetly a throw away saw. Maybe the same is true with trimmers?

Shindaiwa EB2510 with estimated 575-600 hours with no problems mechanically. Starts up quickly and packs a punch. Runs like new.

According to the Shindaiwa rep these engines are made to last longer than previous engines.

Cons: It is heavier and I did like the lighter version if you needed a quick job.

Pros: It packs a punch in power and so far it looks like these are better engines than previous.

in my garage, no engine starts easier than my husquvarna string trimmer. My echo blower, which has the same engine as the trimmer you cite, needs one or two more pulls to start.

Give them a look. Dont know if you have lowes around, but that is where I got mine.

I too like my Husqvarna string trimmer, but Echo is probably a notch above in string trimmers, Shindaiwa a click above that even. Like all OPE, it depends how much you want to spend. Lots of low end stuff, lots of high end, not so much in the middle.

Joel

I bought a Craftsman Trimmer when I got married 15 years ago and its still running strong. I used Ammoco two stroke oil in it, when that was no longer avaiable I started using Castrol. 32:1. Its a 21cc, 15" single string trimmer. The stickers wore off years ago. Iam not a big believer in high dollar trimmers. I pulled the shaft and greased it every year. Other than that the plastic retainer broke twice on the head($4.55 part) and a new fuel filter and air cleaner once. It takes about 5-10 pulls to start, but it never was a 1st pull starter, thats my only complaint. It doesnt have a primer button. I can tell you idling them around kills them. I use that weedeater, ussually once a week and I run it full throttle most of the time. Two strokes are made to run. I just hope when it does die, two strokes are still avaiable and I dont have to buy one of those four stroke clubs. My wife was going to buy me a new one for 15th aniversery, I told her Id take a raincheck, it still runs good. By the way I still have our first push mower too, 15 years old too. a Briggs 3.5 and it still starts 1st pull everytime. All I ever did to it was a new air filter. Buy the best you can afford and take care of it, dont buy a name. Ive had Stihl quick cut saws and they did not impress me. Ive heard complain about the fuel suction and Echos shutting off when you run them at angles(never had one) Thats just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I bought a Craftsman Trimmer when I got married 15 years ago and its still running strong..... I am not a big believer in high dollar trimmers..

Thing is, 15yrs ago, cheap trimmer weren't all that cheap. Cheap ones are a different animal today.

Joel

I can tell you what NOT to buy, "Stihl FS 46" which is top rated in Consumer Reports. Hard to start. The string doesn't last very long and it also gets tangled very easily. This is the 3rd season I have used it & have had nothing but trouble with it. I use 89 octane fuel & 50 to 1 ratio as specified, change the spark plug yearly.

I am sorry I can't recommend a trimmer for you but I just wanted to warn a fellow BITOG member thru my experience. Good luck!!

Originally Posted By: miked2
I can tell you what NOT to buy, "Stihl FS 46" which is top rated in Consumer Reports. Hard to start. The string doesn't last very long and it also gets tangled very easily.

I've got the FS40 model and haven't experienced any of the problems you mention. Granted, it's my first trimmer, so I don't have a point of reference, but all in all, I like it.

I am trying to research the best gas trimmer for a teenage girl who will be running a lawn-mowing service next year. She has a John Deere self-propelled mower, which is easy to handle; but while she is strong for her size, she is not that big so cannot handle a real heavy trimmer.

Important factors will be ease of use, reloading string, letting out more string, maneuverability, and safety.

I visited the Popular Mechanics comparison ( http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/gardening/2696256.html?page=1 ), but would like more opinions. There is a Shindaiwa dealer in our town, but are they worth the extra expense? Maybe there is an end-of-season discount.

If she is going to be doing pro lawn care, she needs pro quality tools for the durability. Any of the top brands will be fine, everyone has there favorite. Dealer support will be important. I'd budget $250-300 for one. Shin, Echo, Tanaka, Stihl, Kawasaki, Redmax.

If it's just a try-it-and-see thing, she could go with something from the big box stores for a while. Budget $150. Ryobi, Troybilt, Poulan, Craftsman.

I just bought 4 new Echo SRM-210 trimmers @225 each. No complaints from the crews, and the one I've used worked great.

The only downside is if they are misshandled or transported improperly, the air cleaner tends to break off.

I would highly recommend these trimmers for someone with a lawn care business.

If you can go to the dealers and see how they feel. Shindaiwa tend to be compact/solid and has good power/ratio. Weight and balance maybe an issue and I've always found Shindaiwa a lot easier to work with. If I was to use the trimmer on a commercial level I would be looking also how comfortable and ease of use. Shindaiwa is more expensive so you are paying a premium but also long term ease of use comes with a price.

Originally Posted By: Jeff3126
Husqvarna 223L. Weighs 9.0 #s and engine is rated for 300 hours IIRC.

Shin from 1995 averaging 500+ hours yearly. It's still going.

I own Stihl, Husqvara, Jonsereds and Echo two cycle equipment. I've owned the Jonsereds saws for more than 25 years. Very tough, reliable, strong performing and heavy. I have a straight shaft Stihl from 1984. Still running and working fine. However at $450.00 that I paid for it then, it had better be. I also have a 1990 two stroke Echo lawn mower. It too is still going strong and has required no maintenance or repairs other than cleaning the air filter. Over the last five years, I've been buying Echo products and the reason is that they are an excellent value. I rate their products with the very best out there and at considerably less expense. I presently own the following Echo products: ES210 leaf shredder/vac/blower, a GT200 trimmer and a CS346 chain saw. I will never again pay the premium for a Stihl, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Honda or any other brand if there's an equivalent Echo product available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back