How to get a UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another newbie kind of question. I'm the new guy with the '98 Camry, and I like the idea of occasionally keeping an eye on what comes out of the oil pan to stay on top of any newly developing sludge problems (this engine has that tendency). I'm very proud because I figured out that UOA means Used Oil Analysis all by myself (sure hope I'm right). So how do I get one, how much will it cost, and how often should I do it?

Thanks,

Doug

How often you should take an Oil Sample would depend on what type of information you are looking for out of it. If you are using it to determine what oil to use and how often you should change it, you should probably do one very oil change, (3 months-3000 miles) with most dino oils or longer depending on product used. Once you are comfortable in you oil choice and oil change interval, you may want to do one very second oil change or maybe once a year just to confirm that nothing has drastically changed from what you were comfortable with.

Kits are also available from Oil Analyzers. You can reach their website from a link on the Amsoil site. I am not sure of the price of their kits in US currency. Good Luck.
cheers.gif

quote:

and how often should I do it?

It all depends on what shows up in the analysis and what you are trying to accomplish. If you get some "abnormal" readings indicating that remedial action needs to be taken, I would suggest doing another one or two after the remediation. If all seems "normal" and you are not going to change brand of oil, once a year should be more than sufficient. If you are trying to find the "best" oil for your brand of equipment and style of driving, it may be a never-ending process. USE CAUTION, this site may cause you to get sucked into the never-ending-process black hole!

EDIT: JD, we must have been typing at the same time. I like the way you think!

[ November 06, 2003, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: doyall ]

quote:

Originally posted by dswift743:
*-*- keeping an eye on what comes out of the oil pan to stay on top of any newly developing sludge problems -*-*

IMO it may not help you determine SLUDGE.

It will help you determine some WEAR, and mainly to decide when to change your normal oil change, and when to be leery...

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Doug, welcome to the site and yes you can determine sludge precursors from UOA's !

I don't believe so> Maybe the lingo is in the way here.
So you are saying that you can 100% be assured of sludge in an engine with a standard oil test.

Are your techniques that are proprietary, are they done with your judgement or with chemicals or equipment in the lab or a combo of both not revealed to the average lab tech?

Doug, welcome to the site and yes you can determine sludge precursors from UOA's !

I just interpreted 2 different Toyota 3.0L V6's UOA's ,same year model, one that had a serious problem the other that was clean as whistle but showing signs of developing sludge if ignored.

My techniques are proprietary but I would be happy to provide you a "read" of you results or you can procure a kit from Dyson Analysis or through Blackstone Labs and the #46 Dyson Analysis kit.

I am a site supporter, see our add page under oil analysis .

Enjoy reading and don't get hooked like some of US!

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back