How should I clean out my Jeep 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played with the flush and fill. The amount of rust that came out, wow! I'm going to do it a bit more tonight. May get around to doing the thermostat. Picking up some Supertech 15w-40 and MMO too!

I should note, that if this were one of my other three vehicles, ones that I actually care about, I would not be more interested in doing things correctly.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I'd fix the exhaust before I worried about the floor. I'm not a fan of straight pipe unless I've got earplugs and muffs and a whole lotta power

The floor wasn't patched at the time for some frame repairs. Now that the section is fixed I am finishing that spot. The exhaust crossover is ripped due to a broken engine mount. I have the engine mount and some flex pipe, should be good with that.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Driving around with exhaust being pulled up into the cabin is NOT good.

For a junker, I'd just change the oil to ST 15W-40 with a pint of MMO in it and run it for a bit to do a slow cleanout.

That's the plan for now.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Weld or pop rivot some steel to fix the floor and get a junkyard motor and you have a few ore years out of that Jeep.

I started to reconstruct the body with some self tappers and an old bed frame. Most of the floor is in as a Cherokee roof, I just had to leave one section out to patch the frame.

Woods toy, doesn't need to be perfect.

A new 195 degree thermostat seems to have solved most of the overheating!

Have about 250 miles on it with the ST15w-40 and MMO. Still clear. Will be driving it more.

Last edited:
Fantastic , congratulation !

Can not remember if I have ever had a thermostat stick closed . I have had them stick open . Heater / defroster would barely get slightly warm ! :-(

Wyr
God bless

I've had a number stick closed. Worst was on a Volvo. Drive 10 miles. Let it cool. Drive 10 miles, let it cool. Until I could get to tools and parts store. Long trip out of Lake Chelan ...

I love this thing! It is such a hunk of junk!

Drove it ~300 miles over the weekend. There is, literally, not a fluid that doesn't leak!

The JB weld on the radiator gave out. Bought a junkyard radiator and it leaked worse. So more JB weld into the radiator (and my $40 back). So between 2 flushes it's doing pretty good now. No more brown coolant.

Oil is down a bit. I"m really not surprised. About 200 highway miles and it has to be run foot to the floor. It's allowed to burn some oil. Time for more ST15w40. Still clean looking. I wonder if the OCOD is filling up?

I now need to fill the brake fluid reservoir, differentials, transmission, transfer case.

The gas gauge is slightly off. Had 5/8 on the gauge and decided to fill it up. Put in 14 gallons
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I love this thing! It is such a hunk of junk!

Drove it ~300 miles over the weekend. There is, literally, not a fluid that doesn't leak!

The JB weld on the radiator gave out. Bought a junkyard radiator and it leaked worse. So more JB weld into the radiator (and my $40 back). So between 2 flushes it's doing pretty good now. No more brown coolant.

Oil is down a bit. I"m really not surprised. About 200 highway miles and it has to be run foot to the floor. It's allowed to burn some oil. Time for more ST15w40. Still clean looking. I wonder if the OCOD is filling up?

I now need to fill the brake fluid reservoir, differentials, transmission, transfer case.

The gas gauge is slightly off. Had 5/8 on the gauge and decided to fill it up. Put in 14 gallons
shocked.gif

It sounds like fun. Keep us updated!

Had it on it's first offroad trip. This happened ...

t2x5UUx.jpg

Surprisingly enough, it wasn't rusty. The frame was rusty around it and was beefed up , previously, with 1/4''. The frame on these is only 1/8'' thick. The 1/4'' didn't move and transferred all of the stress to this spot and that's where it broke.

I suspect it's going to break in the future in a different spot or two, so I will have to check and fix before the next offroad trip.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
So , that is a frame crack ?

May have to reinforce it the complete length of the frame ?

Oh yea. Completely broke the frame. Only noticed it because the body started tearing apart.

I'm trailering it to the next ride. Luckily it's more of a mud run (ugh) than actual trail ride so I shouldn't break the frame again. Then it's going into the garage and I'm going to be checking and adding lots of metal to it!

boxed frames are a death sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back