How should I clean out my Jeep 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Kerosene does scare me a bit. I have had to pull an oil pan off before and clean out the pickup tube.

I think MMO, cheap 15w-40 and a good beating on the engine will be involved!

Even driving it around, the engine gets run pretty hard. It's a 4 cylinder turning 35'' tires. When I drove it home on Sunday from a Jeep show, there was a small head wind and I had to run it foot to the (lack of) floor in 4th gear to even go 55.

Where can I get citric acid to flush the cooling system?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What kind of Jeep is this? I've always been under the impression that the 2.5 was pretty tough.

As for the overheating issues, you are on the right track replacing the radiator and thermostat. I am assuming it's a 195* like the 4.0.

YJ Jeep. 95.

I know it's been beat pretty hard with minimal maintenance at least the last 7 years.

Jet dry and its generics are citric acid, I don't know what concentration. You could give straight vinegar a run. If nothing else your ride will smell like pickles lol. It should loosen and remove scale, dunno about rust.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
When I drove it home on Sunday from a Jeep show, there was a small head wind and I had to run it foot to the (lack of) floor in 4th gear to even go 55.

Ooohhh man... What RPM was she banging and for how long?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Jet dry and its generics are citric acid, I don't know what concentration. You could give straight vinegar a run. If nothing else your ride will smell like pickles lol. It should loosen and remove scale, dunno about rust.

I would get hungry driving a car that smelled like pickles
grin.gif

Hmm $16 for coolant flush may put me over budget.

I thought cascade used to be popular?

Back in the early - mid 1970's I used a flush in my 1966 Mercury Comet 289 3 on the tree .

Best I remember , it contained Orthanilic acid . Or some thing close to the sound of that .

It's a 4 cylinder turning 35'' tires.

I think I figured out the over heating problem
whistle.gif

what gears?

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
It's a 4 cylinder turning 35'' tires.

I think I figured out the over heating problem
whistle.gif

what gears?

4.88 gears. I have some 33'' tires that I will be putting on.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
When I drove it home on Sunday from a Jeep show, there was a small head wind and I had to run it foot to the (lack of) floor in 4th gear to even go 55.

Ooohhh man... What RPM was she banging and for how long?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

I would get hungry driving a car that smelled like pickles
grin.gif

2300 or so. My feet and legs were burning. There's a few large holes in the floor and the exhaust is missing so the vacuum ends up pulling the exhaust directly on your legs.

Holes in the floor . Sounds like it is time to purchase some repair panels . Weld them in and paint / undercoat them .

Go to rockauto.com and price out an exhaust system and hangers / clamps .

Weld or pop rivot some steel to fix the floor and get a junkyard motor and you have a few ore years out of that Jeep.

Driving around with exhaust being pulled up into the cabin is NOT good.

For a junker, I'd just change the oil to ST 15W-40 with a pint of MMO in it and run it for a bit to do a slow cleanout.

It doesn't sound as though anything really needs to be done, except enjoy it for what it is. The head gasket sounds suspect to me. Beaters are fun for the low maintenance. I personally would just run it in the woods until it dies and spend nothing on it except for gas.

2300 or so. My feet and legs were burning. There's a few large holes in the floor and the exhaust is missing so the vacuum ends up pulling the exhaust directly on your legs.

Oh dear, you need to fix that ASAP.

Carbon monoxide kills. You can be breathing enough oxygen while still breathing exhaust fumes and you might not realize the buildup of CO in your body before you pass out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back