How reliable is the 3.0L V6 vs the 2.2L 4 cylinders in the 1997-2001 Camrys?

FWIW, the V6 in my Toyota FJ has been running like new for 312k miles. Expect it to continue. x-fingers

That's the 1GR-FE DOHC V6. Not the same car, but an indicator that drivetrain life and reliability can be very good when cared for. I bought the car at 212k in 2018. After researching for recurring specific problems, looking at the vehicle in person, eyeballing any available records, you consider the owner. Single owner cars, if used regularly with moderate to high mileage are the gold standard; 5k-15k miles per year are good.

If I'm following my good sense, I look first at cars my trusted mechanic is tops at. Then I "buy" the owner, more than the car. After the usual due diligence, that's about all you can do to weight the odds your way. Oh, and, to a point, follow your gut reactions to the car and owner. If you're a young guy buying from a Bee-ay-Utiful woman, the "gut" is not what you want to listen to...

Rufus

You are not getting 30mpg on that era's Camry L4, definitely not the V6.
I’ve had the car for 8 years (L4). Last year I took it on a trip and got 32.5 mpg

My best was 37 mpg driving about 60 mph in 2015 without A/C (winter)

My brother had a ‘96 Lexus ES300 with the V6, same thing as a Camry. He followed me back from Montana and he got 29-30 mpg doing about 75 mph. That car was an oil burner and it burned about a quart every 3-400 miles on the highway.

IMG_5254.jpg

Just got off the phone with the selling dealer, water pump, thermostat, and timing belt have not been done. That's about a $1,000~ job. If I have someone do it.

In the current market, it will sell for the asking price, simple as that. If you like it, I’d get it before someone else does. You will not get anywhere haggling; it’s a Toyota, and someone will pay the asking price.
It does seem to be a very nice, loaded Camry V-6, and they are a very nice car.

Let's see, new job, longish commute. Which should I drive? Newish BMW or oldish Toyota? Not a hard choice.
Why keep miles off the BMW? It made to be driven and used and with proper maintenance it'll shrug off the miles at least as well as any Toyota. Fuel economy shouldn't be much worse either.
If you're going to be doing a lot of miles and already have a performance luxury car, why downgrade to an old Camry?

If you're going to be doing a lot of miles and already have a performance luxury car, why downgrade to an old Camry?
IMO it's a fair question, but I wonder if it's an attempt to keep salt off the better car? Find something disposable that one doesn't care about, if it slides into a ditch, gets door dinged, etc--no one cares.

But then, why buy anything nice ever?

IMO it's a fair question, but I wonder if it's an attempt to keep salt off the better car? Find something disposable that one doesn't care about, if it slides into a ditch, gets door dinged, etc--no one cares.

But then, why buy anything nice ever?
It's somewhat both keeping miles off the BMW and keeping salt off. I also want a car I don't care much about. If it gets dinged oh well who cares. I'm used to putting 4k-5k miles (a year) on the BMW. New job, I'll be putting 8k-9k miles on it a year just driving 3 days. (3 days on sight 2 days at home).

The BMW, I care too much about it. I'm not too fond of parking in-between cars, I don't particularly appreciate driving it in the rain (especially after I cleaned it). I just want a car that I don't care for if it's clean or not. A car I wouldn't care about running through an automatic wash 😂. Honestly, that Camry seems too clean for my liking 🤣

Honestly, that Camry seems too clean for my liking 🤣
Ha! did you look at it yet? Wild guess is that it's not as nice as the photos. I mean, I like mine and all, but I'm not above pointing out its warts. Some of the interior pieces are warping, like the plastic is outgassing and not fitting like it did, 25 years ago. Then again, I think it was in Arizona for at least 10 years, and that surely didn't help (explains why mine has no clearcoat left).

Ha! did you look at it yet? Wild guess is that it's not as nice as the photos. I mean, I like mine and all, but I'm not above pointing out its warts. Some of the interior pieces are warping, like the plastic is outgassing and not fitting like it did, 25 years ago. Then again, I think it was in Arizona for at least 10 years, and that surely didn't help (explains why mine has no clearcoat left).
I might go look at it if I get this new job. The interview is 8/22. It's a 7-month contract to possible hire position. I'm thinking I'll use the BMW for the 7 months. If I get permanently hired, I'll either request a car or buy a "beater" and use the BMW for weekend errands and stuff.

My dad owned a 1998 Toyota Camry LE w/the 4 cylinders. It was pretty smooth and reliable. The only major thing that went out on it was the oil pump seal at around 160k miles. We sold the car back in 2019 with 190k~ miles due to rust.

I got a job offer that is a bit far from my house. So, I kind of what to keep the miles on the BMW low. Hence, I have my eyes on a 1999 Toyota Camry XLE V6 at a local mom-and-pop dealer. Car's got 123k miles on it. The dealer is asking $4,495. Looks super clean. Maybe too clean to use as a "beater" 😂

What do you guys think I should offer?
A major cost which is often overlooked is gas mileage which becomes important if you will be driving the car 15,000+ miles a year. I would look for a 4 cylinder instead.

Another concern is parts availability. After 5 years, all OEM + aftermarket parts may dry up due to the car's age, leaving you with an unrepairable car

Perhaps a 2004 Camry with a 4 cylinder would be a better choice.

Perhaps a 2004 Camry with a 4 cylinder would be a better choice.
2004 (more 02 through 05 or so) were known to strip head bolts. Maybe all the bad ones died by now, no one really knows.

I hear what you are saying, but both Camry generations had millions of them made, parts availability isn’t bad. Surely it is starting to dry up, but I don’t think it is too bad.

I had a 96 with the 3.0

It was reliable, definitely had leaks later in life...I wasn't going to replace various seals.

I sold it with 250k. As god to my witness, the kid who bought it ran it to 299k, where it died right i front of a Toyota dealer. Why? Seized engine, he quit checking oil.

It's just a camera illusion, the roof and trunk didn't have any clear coat. The hood must have been repainted at some point.

It's very tired/sad looking now.

View attachment 172698
Your sun is brutal... I can tell by the way mine is.

Oh well. Cars don't last forever. Meant to be driven and used up. Run as long as you can, but ultimately, razor blades are the ultimate end.

I found a 1999 4 cylinder camry w/200k on it. Super clean no rust. Timing belt and water pump have been done. Guy wants 2700 w/wheels and tires shown in picture and 2200 w/oem wheels and tires. I can careless about the wheels and tires pictured.

I found a 1999 4 cylinder camry w/200k on it. Super clean no rust. Timing belt and water pump have been done. Guy wants 2700 w/wheels and tires shown in picture and 2200 w/oem wheels and tires. I can careless about the wheels and tires pictured.

I would search for transmission fluid changes as well.

I like the 4 cyl model way better. Super easy maintenance. If it shifts fine you can bring it back with a couple tranny fluid changes, and also get it right as rain with new timing belt (and driven accessories if you so want.) Even if you hire it out the 4 cyl will come in way cheaper.

I had the V6, plenty of punch. IIRC premium fuel helps with power on that motor. Never really used the power, so, meh. Agree on checking the alloys for wear-- that dealer was up to some shenanigans to be sure.

Ironically the 4 cyls are worth more (IMO) than the V6s once they're this age because practicality beats fashion. Dealers that want more money for the V6 are deluding themselves.

In another spot of irony, the extended wheelbase Camry better known as the Avalon is even cheaper at this vintage, as they were originally owned by more wealthy people who wanted something understated and "reliable" (simply by being a brand new Toyota). Few want 15+ year old Avalons so their actual sale prices are in the pits.

Back