How often to you upgrade Cell phones

About twenty years ago swapping phones every two years made sense since every new one has been a huge progress, so I did that. Last ten years or so I use to buy a new one when I feel it's needed. Still have an iPhone 8 and don't feel any need getting rid of it. Don't need anything bigger, don't need anything quicker, don't need anything better. Still works flawlessly.

Not very often. When I do, I get a cheap Samsung Android phone.
2nd the Android Samsung, i usually buy Iphones at Walmart. my 7 was stolen, they flyer for I think iPhone SE, new chip, for $200 if sign up instore. Just my luck corporate recalled every one of them so they recommend the Samsung a11, Samsung gives for free movies tv shows etc, Apple rapes you with Itunes, etc, HERE is the irony I was back in the store and saw the same women who helped me, corporate reversed the recall and she had to get them all back into regular inventory.

I would still be using my iPhone 4s if sprint tmobile didn't kill off the 3g network. Currently using 1st gen iPhone se with a Ebay battery replacement this is my side business phone. Main phone iPhone xr plan on having this phone for a really long time.

I used to purchase a new phone every couple years. But technology was progressing rapidly and a new model had vastly better camera, speed, etc.

The last phone I bought is an Iphone XS Max, and it's almost three years old now. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade, in fact I dropped my Verizon plan and switched to a $20/mo prepaid plan through Mint. I'll probably keep it until it dies.

Seems like when I had Android phones, they felt slow and cumbersome after a couple years, and they no longer received routine updates. The Iphone I have feels as fast today as when it was new, and I can get updates as soon as they are released, which seems to be every month or so.

Run to fail. Current phone is 4 years old and, knock on wood, shows no signs of any problems. I have owned 4 cell phones (including the current one) since 1998.

I honestly wait till new "new" generation of phone gets released then buy the now "last" generation at a great discount.

then keep it till I feel like I want something better, so every 4ish years.

Got a really bad taste (pun intended) when apple did the whole "we slow down your phones after 6 months so you buy a new one" as well as "we will purposely FORCE you to use OUR parts and OUR repair facilities or else we BRICK your phone entirely if you even DARE to try to fix YOUR phone that YOU bought)

Andriod for lyfe!

The markup on new phones is obscene. When my S9+ battery quits, it's $70 to replace it at a Samsung authorized shop. I could do it myself for less, but I don't have the equipment or patience to re-seal it. As for updates, the software is crap. Lineage OS FTW!

I get a new phone about every 3 years, usually when I get an offer I can't refuse. My employer gives me a new mobile for work every 18 months. I expect a replacement within a couple months at the latest.

Last edited:
Going on 5+ years on my LG Android. Still on the original battery, it's probably been charged 1,500 times. Works great, and when the battery does finally go it's $12 and can be changed in 2 minutes. Some cell phones don't even have a replaceable battery which IMO is a big negative. Won't replace this phone until I have to for some reason.

We had iPhone 11’s for 17 months before my wife and I upgraded to the 12 and 12 Pro Max. I’ll probably keep this phone for awhile, skip the 13 and grab an iPhone 14 (or whatever they decide to call it. I’m hard on the battery though.

Hi guys, just got myself a new Moto G play phone. Replaced my essential phone PH-1 that I've had for the last 5+ years.

How often do you change your phones?

Whenever the wife wants a new phone, I use her old one, Just took possesion of ger Samsung galxy S7 earlier this year. That's my first smartphone though, and it spends most of it's time sitting on my desk with an exhausted battery.

I would still be using my iPhone 4s if sprint tmobile didn't kill off the 3g network. Currently using 1st gen iPhone se with a Ebay battery replacement this is my side business phone. Main phone iPhone xr plan on having this phone for a really long time.
I loved my iPhone 4 it was my favorite so far with the glass design. I usually go 3 to 4 years. My last 4 have been iPhone 4,iPhone 5c, iPhone 7 and not the latest 12 pro.

Bought my first Slide cell phone in 2013 then my LG smart phone in 2015. When it started getting slow and the battery wasn't lasting after 5 years I purchased a Moto G7 about a year ago so I suppose I will have it until it gets slow and won't hold a charge very long.

I recently acquired my first cell phone only because it became a necessity. Bought a new Galaxy A50 for $200 from Tracfone. I expect it will serve my needs for several years. I can't give up my landline because cell service at my location is terrible. Unlimited talk/text + 1GB data is costing $16.40 a month incl tax, but at home the phone will be on wifi at all times.

Back