How often does your DSL go down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the difference in the transport delay from one ping to the next. In other words, if you ran 5 pings and the transport delays came back 30ms, 29ms, 30ms, 31ms, and 30ms you'd have +/- 1ms of jitter. Unless your pings are taking different routes from one ping to the next it's very unusual to see much jitter.

In my experience, the home router does better if power cycled every 2 to 4 weeks. If the router is built into the modem, power cycling the router, by power cycling the combo, is similarly useful.

I got comcast business class internet that my company pays for at home. Since I work at home. heh. Internet never goes down unless the power goes out. My speed above was on wifi..

Last edited:
I had Verizon DSL and it never worked if there was a thunderstorm. I recently switched to Comcast and it's great. I went from a 1.5mb connection to 20mb.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
In my experience, the home router does better if power cycled every 2 to 4 weeks. If the router is built into the modem, power cycling the router, by power cycling the combo, is similarly useful.

My DSL has never worked better now that when I am at the GF's on weekends, I unplug the power strip that the DSL modem is plugged in to. Plus as T=storm season is nearly here it is one less way for the computer to get zapped. The DSL phone line is plugged into a surge protector that my TV and DirecTV DVR is plugged into. I have lost two computers when lightning has come in on the DSL line.

My DSL went down permanently about 12 years ago because the provider went bankrupt...2 months after I wrote them a check for another year's worth of service.

Switched to cable and haven't looked back.

I have Windstream 3MB DSL. Have had it for almost three years. Used to only go down once every few months, at most, for a couple hours. Went down for four days a month ago. Was down for a few hours last weekend. Was down for a couple hours, a few times, this fall. Not very happy, but cable internet is too expensive both monthly and for the installation and new hardware.

My only option out here is the extended range DSL or satellite. Century Link will not upgrade the 512 kps package any faster on extended range DSL so I'm stuck at 470 kps.

1182862985.png

This is my extended range DSL speed at almost 20,000 ft away.

AT&T DSL Lite rated at a max of 768 kbps but we never get more than about 450 kbps down at any time during the past year or so since Bell South was taken over by AT&T.

With Bell South the service consistantly was within 100 kbps at all times give or take now this.

AT&T sucks .

I almost get the impression that they are "throttling" back the speed to force an upgrade. I noticed that we have just had a price increase as well ...

Just to let them know if you don't return the previous speeds to our account we will be leaving for cable internet.

This is frustrating for me. With the outtages and now reduced speeds/unconsistant speeds. Keep in mind I suffered with dial-up from 1995 or so to just this past January when they finally installed DSL out here.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

GrtArtiste:

If you find you have to turn your modem off, there is likely something wrong with it. They should never have to be turned off.

Perhaps you were right. The modem croaked yesterday afternoon and was replaced by noon today.

I’ve had ATT DSL for like 5 years with no more than couple of outages per year so it was very reliable service in my area . Couple of years ago I’ve switched to Comcast and never looked back. 5x faster download speed and amazing ping latency.

1217562719.png

Originally Posted By: gaspo
I’ve had ATT DSL for like 5 years with no more than couple of outages per year so it was very reliable service in my area . Couple of years ago I’ve switched to Comcast and never looked back. 5x faster download speed and amazing ping latency.

1217562719.png

I normally get a 5ms ping (as seen on page 2) don't know why it is higher tonight.

That's a good upload you have. Cable around here is capped to 1Mbit up.

Here's what one of my VDSL2 trials looks like:

1219875606.png

This is behind a Cisco 861 doing NAT with a large IPSec tunnel running to a remote site. There were about 15 clients behind this router, operating when I ran this test.

The router pegs at ~41Mbit when the traffic behind it is lessened. We need to upgrade to a 1941 I think. The modem is sync'd at 58/58Mbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back