How often do you check your dipstick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mic:
I have never owned a car that burned any amount of oil between changes.

You're one lucky SOB!
grin.gif

Every fortnightly, check all fluids and tire pressures.

I usually look out for level drops and signs of carbonization on the oil. (amateur stuff)

Every fill up for me.

You never know when an engine that wasn't losing or consuming oil all of the sudden starts.

Well, you eventually do find out, when the engine seizes.

TB

Daily...sometimes more than once. Same with my tranny fluid.
grin.gif
Ok...I'm nuts...and all the neighbors know it.
wink.gif
It's mainly because my rear main is leaking and is likely to get much more leaky sometime in the near future...and last time I changed the tranny oil I stripped the drain plug.
pat.gif

My F150 doesn't consume oil or see alot of miles, it gets checked 1-2 times a month or so. The wifes Mercedes uses oil, it gets checked 1-2 times a week, we haven't had it very long so I'm traking it very closely right now. Motorhome, boat and motorcycles get checked before each use.

Once or twice a week depending on the amount of driving I'm doing, my truck uses a qt. per 1000 miles so I'm always obsessing over it ...
Also, like to " eyeball " the engine, battery clamps, wires, belts, fluids ect. to make sure nothing's rattled loose or low.
Something tells me this BITOG crowd checks thier dipsticks more then the average person
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
I check every 3-4 weeks, some of you guys are sick-o s
blush.gif
but I would buy a used car from any of you
grin.gif

Hehehe, good to know. I plan on having 160k miles on by the time my truck is paid for. I plan on pushing it up to at least 200k before getting a new one. If it is still holding together at that point I keep pushing it until it start the old "nickle & dime routine".

I'm assuming the engine will still be going strong at that point, but everything else will be worn out.

quote:

...until it starts the old "nickle & dime routine".

You get nickled and dimed? Lucky you...!!!

I seem to get $100'd to death and on occasion $1000'd...

Ps - aren't old cars with great engines, but **** everything else fun...?!?!

Gotta love being oil obsessed...

wink.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:

quote:

...until it starts the old "nickle & dime routine".

You get nickled and dimed? Lucky you...!!!

I seem to get $100'd to death and on occasion $1000'd...

Okay, we've gone past the 90's and we're in the new millenium. I guess "nickle & dime" no longer applies in these high tech days. Heck, I recently forked out close to $400 for new lower ball joints. Parts came to around $90 before tax - the rest was labor. I once paid $700 to have a mis-fire fixed. I can't imagine what it's gonna cost me when things start to wear out.

But remember - the engine will still be going strong. I hope I can say the same for Ford's plagued 4r70w transmission.

Currently everyday, sometimes twice.
I wonder how much three or four dipstick samples over the course of a month would add up to>???
Hummmm.... plus a little Si to boot... Hummmmm

My owners book says to check every 250 miles or every week which ever is greater....

Actually Robbie if you wanted you could measure the amount by scraping the dipstick into a measuring device then multiply that by the......ahhhh, any chemists out there?
wink.gif
grin.gif

since finding this site, I check oil in my car once a week since I only drive 180 miles a week

on my g/f car, once every two weeks.

Every other fill up. Sometimes every fill-up. But I like to check the oil when not getting gas, giving enough time for all oil to get back into the oil pan. (which probably doesn't amount to anything significant, but still).

Just a comment...

When I worked at a full-serve gas station in high-school, EVERY! car that had it's oil checked was a quart low...as per the manager!!!

Some of our loyal, naive customers came in once a week, and got a quart EVERYTIME!!!

Is over filling bad...
wink.gif

How many dipstick readings does it take to reduce the oil level by 1 qt?
grin.gif

I keep a spreadsheet log of oil levels/mileage on all my cars. I check each vehicle on Sunday evenings, so once every 7 days. This way I have a history for each car and can note if or when oil consumption starts or increases.

I do have an oil consumer that I've been cleaning up with AutoRX and on that car I will check every 1-3 days to gauge any improvement in oil consumption.

Twice a day whether the car gets driven or not.

You have to stay on top of these things, you know
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
Actually Robbie if you wanted you could measure the amount by scraping the dipstick into a measuring device then multiply that by the......ahhhh, any chemists out there?
wink.gif
grin.gif

How. How would I get all the oil in the device?

The only way I can think is to dip the whole stick into a solution and dry the solution and measure the remainder...

Theres always oil on the rubber part, and there is always 2-5 wiped, JUST to make sure, and then if I add oil this is double, and if I just want to look at the oil, there are more wipes.

Yup, a lot of this use did go on for sure when I was growing up.
We would pull up to the station, the attendant would come out, check everything, and almost always were were short of something, including a flatless tire.
When I was little I would watch the guy real careful, and often caught them CHEATING by not putting the stick all the way in, or by letting air out of a tire, or even my punching a hole into the tread.... Yes, I saw them do this on several trips outa state...

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
Just a comment...

When I worked at a full-serve gas station in high-school, EVERY! car that had it's oil checked was a quart low...as per the manager!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back